New SW rules

lentil2

Gold Member
Has anyone else been told this.......

At the beginning of August, I attended my usual SW group which is run by a very knowledgeable consultant. Not only is she very knowledgeable, she's experienced and very nice also!

She had just returned from a training weekend at HQ and said she had some news to tell us!!!

Now, I haven't mentioned on here what we were told as I was waiting to see if anyone knew of this 'news'. I didn't want to be the first to say as I know how defensive some people can get about the plan.....but so far, no one has said a dickie bird about it!

So here goes....I am interested to see if anyone else has been told this......

First thing was that HE a's and b's are no longer a compulsory part of the plan. SW still recommend them for optimum health but if you don't want them (though I fail to see why you would want to skip them, I love having 2 of each each day!) you don't have to have them.
Or, if you have part of a HE then that was fine to count as a whole one .....I know some think that is the case anyway, but SW have always said that a 'proper' HE was a whole one!!

So for example.

28g of oats plus a scan bran is a whole HE b choice. Before, you would have had to have both parts for it to count.....now apparently, you can just have the oats and that's OK. As I said, some peeps do that anyway so maybe not new but it's now officially endorsed by SW

Next was about flexi syns.
Flexi syns can be used more often, ie daily, and not just for special occasions!!!

She gave an example of someone who met friends in a coffee shop and really wanted a slice of choc cake but didn't want to forego her daily syns on it. So in order to maintain a healthy approach to dieting, she had the cake.....and had her usual amount of syns for the rest of the day too. The ides being that because she was 'allowed' the cake it wouldn't send her off into a downward spiral. ( which was what I thought normal syns were for anyway)
I know this is basically flexi syns but what she was saying is that you can do this more often and not just on special occasions!
I'm not sure about that...I have enough trouble losing when I'm having limited syns!!!

I asked if these 2 strategies had been trialled and was there any significant results. She said no, it hadn't been trialled, it was more about being relaxed about the plan and seeing it as less of a diet and not being 'told' what to eat. Now I am beginning to wonder if MY class are the ones trialing it as no one else has mentioned it. Lol

I know SW continually changes. Having followed the plan on and off for many years, I have seen several changes myself but I can't believe after nearly a month of finding out, no one has mentioned it on here!!!

What do you guys think?
Have you heard about this....or have I just let a very big cat out of the bag!!!! Lol

Last edited:
Oooh, interesting! I haven't heard either of these bits of info - yet!
Will be interesting to see if they are widely broadcast.
Not sure about the extra flexi flexi syns - no way would I lose any weight on that. I do see the HEX bit though, can't see it being an issue if you don't have it, although I'm with you - why would you not want it!!

I usually go to group every week but this week couldn't go and our C is really good too so will have said something, will try and glean some info from our facebook page ....

mmm so how we've all been doing it 'unofficially' is now going to be Official then eh? ;) :D

Hmmmm the cynical part of me wonders whether the current rules are too successful!

This makes perfect sense to me!

If having something that is far too high for daily syns, you eat it anyway, for me I would then think feck it, and go off plan for the rest of the day or maybe a few days or a week.....or maybe longer!

This sort of thinking has been my downfall with the sw plan.

Forgive me for being paranoid, but for a lot of sw members extra flexi syns could lead to less weight loss or sts or worse a gain!!! Which would then keep us members paying a little bit longer to get to our goals!! Ive also noticed my scales, my wii and my mums scales are a constant 5lb less than the sw world ones!!! Hmmmm maybe some of us arent as big as we think lol!!! Ive not heard a thing at our group either and i was there last night........... I'm gonna keep watching this space :0)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

It could also lead to having more days on plan in a week than off though for a lot of people, which would mean more over-all weight loss in the long term?

mmm so how we've all been doing it 'unofficially' is now going to be Official then eh? ;) :D

Quite!!!! Though the consultant did say that 'SW have listened to you! '' so maybe it has come from feedback from info passed on from consultants from members...who knows.

For those of you who haven't heard anything, which seems to be all of you(!) don't hold your breath waiting for the info.
As I said in the 1st post, we were given this info at the beginning of the month, infact it may have been the end of July even, so the fact that no one else has been told makes me very suspicious! I am starting to feel like a laboratory experiment! Lol

Though I have to say, I've not actually done anything differently since being told!

Last edited:
not heard anything bout this : / hope the new flexi thing isnt true i think alot of ppl would go off plan

To be fair, I suspect a lot of us do this anyway....I know I do when my 'proper' dieting head isn't on!

It's not about being true.....honestly, it's not April 1st, my group have been told this.

You don't ave to follow it......infact I think that's part of the plan...because you can, you may not iyswim?

What have the weight losses been like in your group this month so far?

Hmm, there's a point.
Our group always, on the whole have great losses. Our Con always reads the whole class losses out which always sound pretty amazing, like several stones, though i have to say, we are a large group because of her popularity, I'm sure.
Tbh, nothing has been mentioned about these changes since we were told about them. She hasn't asked if we have tried changing anything, though to be fair, I wasn't able to go last week, nor this week, but it certainly wasn't mentioned again the weeks after we were told.

Healthy extras have never been compulsory anyway - it has said in the SW FAQs that you didn't need to have them if you didn't want them.

As for the flexi syns - that just seems crazy! I really think that could really affect losses a person's losses and is a bad move. I can't help but wonder if it is a reaction to the new WW plan which gives members an extra pot of points each week for eating out etc.

PatchworkPuss said:
Healthy extras have never been compulsory anyway - it has said in the SW FAQs that you didn't need to have them if you didn't want them.

As for the flexi syns - that just seems crazy! I really think that could really affect losses a person's losses and is a bad move. I can't help but wonder if it is a reaction to the new WW plan which gives members an extra pot of points each week for eating out etc.

If they do roll it out I shall be sticking to the plan that I know works.

To me flexi synning is an every now & then thing. I can honestly say I use it less than once a month.

I think some people will flexi syn daily and possibly gain rather than lose!

I was thinking the same thing patchworkpuss! But that's what our syns are for (i.e. SW syns = WW weeklies) so I'm not so sure about this daily flexi synning business. I'm sure we can all see how flawed it is and not go down that route!

Back