New year, same me; just less wobbly + Project 52!

Well done!!! Rum by the bottle is definitely the way forward ;) x

I won't be doing it again for a while though Tano.....

Jez I have been reading your diary. What a lovely job you have. You are doing well with the loss too. Well done and keep positive.

Aw thanks Rosielea...it's not really as nice a job as everyone thinks, early monings, working all night, travelling to the exotic climes of London all the time....urgh.

It was good when I used to get to go to Ibiza for the weekend but those days are long gone!!

Hi Jez, Just read your reply to me on Emmas working away thread. Didnt want to hijack it any more so came here .

I read something the other day that made me sad but is on the same lines that you were talking about. It was a piece about the absolute and overriding importance of image to young women. The feminist writer wrote the way young girls think is "I dont care if you think I'm racist I just want you to think I'm thin." Every bone in my body wants this to be untrue, but in all honesty I think she has it spot on. Eeeee we humans is a strange lot.

I can't get away from "image". It is my job to make people look better- if that is the right word for it and sometimes I've had moral issues about work; like when I have young girls brought to me by the Mother and ordered to have the full works. I have a regular client who is 15 and absolutely beautiful, she models for the likes of Next, Littlewoods and they like her to look like herself and her age. Yet for every social event the family has, they put her in the most OTT outfit and so much makeup she looks like Jordan. It's awful and I often wonder where her head must be when she has professionals telling her how perfect she is but then a family who insist she needs to be made up to look her best. But it's not just her, it's an entire generation of young women who think they can't face the world without somebody elses face on.

Unfortunately for me, new customers take one look at me and decide how good I am at my job from my appearance, it's a massive part of my career. I've got to a stage where reputation precedes me and I have enough rave reviews that I could prob start turning up in jeans and an old t-shirt, but then I'd kind of feel like I was losing part of myself!! So I can't win basically.

I've just remembered why I LOVE my job this morning. Got a free sample of Revitalash in the post this morning. It's a full size one, 6 months supply, normally retails for about £55 and I got it for FREEEEEEEEEEEE.

What I hate about my job though- I did a favour for my mate last night, one of her aunts was going to a fancy dress do as Siouxsie Sioux and she asked me to do her makeup. I don't do individual stuff- I only do contract work, but I often say yes to these kind of requests because I'm an all round awesome person. She lived on the other side of the city so I basically asked for the cost in a cab to her and just to cover my basic costs (eyelashes and stuff). She complained that she thought it was too expensive (£25!!) so I told her to go and look at the price for making a 60 yr old look like Siouxsie Sioux in a local salon, factor in the cost of you going to the salon rather than them coming to you, then ask the girl who does it how qualified she is. I guarantee she isn't as qualified as me!! And have you saved any money? No. Anyway, she still wanted me to do so I went and she was a fecking pain in the arse. That's the last time I do that for anyone. Favours, argh!!!!

Anyway, last night I took my niece and nephew for their tea, just to a wacky warehouse kind of place. Thought I'd have a sociable couple of glasses of wine but it was cheaper by the bottle so, yes, I drank a bottle (and a half).

Had a starter of butterflied prawns which weren't described very well on the menu so they came deep fried and breadcrumbed. Pretty delish like, not feeling guilty about them at the mo but we'll see how I am halfway through the week when I've ran out of syns!! Then, because of a cock up in the kitchen, I didn't get my main even though everyone else did! Did me good though coz it was a bit naughty :rolleyes: So I stole some chicken off OH and nicked a few chips off my nephew, then ate some fruit when I came home.

I've got NOTHING to do today, first day in ages when I haven't had any work on, so I'm going to sort my kit out and make a start on crystalling my wedding shoes :D Might be a good time to start on this bloody P52, haha. I'll get there eventually!

I am well jealous of your free stuff! You should get on Youtube, those beauty gurus get everything for free! *is going to quit college and become a make up artist for this reason* free cosmetics :drool:

I'm also jealous of the wine. I had a craving for some rose last night, but I was a good girl and got bourbon instead :innocent0002: :rolleyes:

Enjoy your day off! :D

I get a lot of stuff for free anyway...you get to a point in your MUA career where manufacturers NEED you to push their stuff plus I used to work for QVC, L'oreal and Art Deco and they keep their artists happy iykwim. This particular freeb was off QVC.

Industry doesn't really like those youtube guru's so I wouldn't do it for fear of pissing people off!! It's like an us and them thing!!

Tbh I stopped watching youtube beauty videos, because the people on there pissed me off when they started bringing out their own range of brushes and make up, like how does having a few videos on make up qualify you to make your own brushes or eye shadows??? That would be like me bringing out a range of cook books because I invented a few amazing dinners without any experience of being an actual chef :confused: well that's what I think anyway lol! I just read beauty blogs now, because there are still lots of decent blogs out there, people doing it cos they genuinely have an interest and aren't just in it for money/fame/whatever it is they want.

I can see how it would become an us/them thing.

Anyway get your make up advice thread started on here! We can pay you in reputation and likes, which is way better than free samples :D:rolleyes:

Yes I might...I sort of think it's a bit embarassing though :eek: I don't know why, just feel odd putting myself in a position where I'm giving advice over the internet!!

The youtubers...I think you've just hit the nail on the head. It is annoying when you've been in the business for years and some person with NO QUALIFICATIONS whatsoever is doing better than you!! I have the equivalent of a degree in makeup plus I have to take yearly booster courses in basic beauty and skincare, then there is everything I have to do for health & safety just to qualify for my insurance. I would never try to tell Manolo Blahnik how to do things just because I have an interest in shoes and in many cases these youtubers are undermining the work of seasoned professionals. Besides, putting makeup on yourself is NOT the same as putting makeup on someone else, hence why Lauren Luke needs an "assistant" to do her work for her on photoshoots (not kidding).

I'm all for people having an opinion, liking and disliking products- yeah, that's fine. But the internet has been known to make or break a product (entire ranges actually, RIP Max Factor US!!) when the people reviewing it are actually only able to talk about their own personal experience. It annoys the hell out of me!!

/RANT

I suppose it would be weird to start a thread asking if people need advice, it's usually the other way around lol :D

Lol @ your rant. I totally agree, and I'm not even a MUA! In fact, one of the reasons I decided against becoming one was because I found it difficult to put make up on anyone else except me! I do my mum's sometimes and I have to get her to do her own mascara lol I'm like "err just look up, no look down, oh sod it you do it!!"

Lauren Luke, don't get me started! I actually can't believe she needs an assistant lol.

I used to follow a few YT people on twitter, before I stopped using it, and the things they used to speak about between eachother was so *****y, things about their subscribers (who I always thought of as their clients because they pretty much pay their wages eh?!) and it totally put me off of them. Imagine if in Tesco the till person started openly *****ing about you??? That's how I saw it, and it made me think that they don't give a crap about anyone but themselves.

I remember thinking the youtube folk were all fakes, set up by companies to promote their products, cos I'd never heard of Inglot then suddenly they were everywhere on blogs, youtube, but I could never get onto their website lol it made me think it was all a stunt cos it seemed odd that the website didn't work. And there's so many products that get amazing reviews but are actually really disappointing, again that's the thing about a review on make up, its one persons experience and not true for everyone which as you say isn't fair at all on the company or their products.

Ewww favours aren't good I have just had a chat with my son about the same thing.
Hubby is a driving instructor and is teaching sons g/f to drive we have said just give the cost of the fuel £10 for the 2 hour lesson (should be £50 for the 2 hours). She has now had 6 two hour lessons :( not paid a penny.
Hubby is too nice to say anything (I'm not:D)

Ewww favours aren't good I have just had a chat with my son about the same thing.
Hubby is a driving instructor and is teaching sons g/f to drive we have said just give the cost of the fuel £10 for the 2 hour lesson (should be £50 for the 2 hours). She has now had 6 two hour lessons :( not paid a penny.
Hubby is too nice to say anything (I'm not:D)

Petrol is so expensive, she's really inconsiderate if she thinks she's getting it for free! I have even charged my own family for petrol costs when doing taxi favours :eek:

EP- I've met a few of them over the years and the only ones I have any respect for are Pixiewoo, purely because they are exceptionally talented and have been in industry for years, Sirvinya who is such a lovely girl and gives an honest opinion on everything although is unfortunately poor at putting makeup on and Encore who is just hilarious, once again has been in industry for years and knows what he is doing, but then has faced all sorts of crap from his peers because "we" don't like him giving away industry secrets I suppose!

As for it being a conspiracy- it probably is! All sorts of crap started getting promoted by companies I had NEVER heard of, it seemed that the new way to make a name for yourself was just to send your totally useless product to a Guru and it will take off from there!!

You should do your qualification if you are that interested in it. It's a competative business but it's hardly a hard job (!). What do you do in college now? Makeup started for me as a little way to make money when I was doing my actual degree (Eng Language!!) but I ended up sticking with makeup somehow, lol.

Clair, ooh that's a toughy, but what a cheeky cow not paying!! Only £10 as well. Maybe you should send her out to look at the prices of some other companies to show her how much money she is saving.

I do like the pixiwoo sisters, I'm always amazed at how Sam transforms herself into the person she's based the look on, she really looked like Pamela Anderson and Angelina Jolie in those videos! And they actually go out to work everyday, they're not just doing the videos as a job, unlike some of the others! I remember seeing someone complain about having no time to "work" (make a video) because they were too busy reading Harry Potter and staying in bed until 2pm. Get a job eh!

Sirvinya seems so normal! I like that she reviews things I can actually afford lol :)

Oh I didn't see your question sorry lol. I'm doing biology and I'm going to uni in Sept to start my degree :D

I think I'll leave the make up to the professionals! Its a job that requires so much confidence and I don't have enough to pull it off. And from what I've read from you and the Internet, it's hard work! Will stick with my science lol :D

Yes and she really does champion small businesses and unknown brands- she can't be bought which is absolutely brilliant. I know she's had a lot of brands stop sending her freebs because she slagged of their stuff but she isn't bothered. Good for her I say!

Back