No to SW on the NHS!

sugar_lipswales

Silver Member
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Further to my attempts to try and get the NHS to help me out a little bit, seeing as I've never ever asked for anything toward my weight loss, and I've been told no it's not available and my doctors surgery have never even heard of it! I'm so annoyed! All they can do is refer me to a dietition and for a government funded exercise programme called Going for Gold! Uh duh, exercise is only half of the battle and no other diets have ever worked for me so a dietition is useless!
And to make it worse, my first week going it alone and the scales in Boots show a one pound gain! I fully plan to write some e mails here. It's not fair that people in some part of the country can get it but I can't. I need to go clean something before I do something I regret!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Oh dear. I can see why you are mad! It does seem really unfair. Why don't you channel your anger into something positive (after you have cleaned!!) and write to your doctors surgery enclosing information of the scheme and perhaps you local MP or something. Include facts and stuff about SW and how it has helped you (and all of us!) so far. But stay calm and don't lose your head or you will just end up looking bitter and that is not what you want.

In the mean time keep on using this site and keep doing the diet alone, do not let them win! I don't go to class and at first it was tough but eventually I realised that only I can keep on the diet and only I control what I eat and once I got my motivation back I was ok going it alone.

Good luck with whatever you do with sorting out the NHS!!! Let me know what happens!

Ah, but dont forget Huni...Wales get free prescriptions anyway, we have to pay for them in Southern England!

It is a real shame that the Dr's havent heard of the scheme though..I had talked to my Mum about it when I went home last weekend (S Wales), she was going to ask, but didnt think that she would get it either.

I've contacted someone at SW and having info sent to my surgery and it is promising that the refer people to an exercise programme but ultimately it's all down to whether the trust can 'spare the funding'.

Oh I'm shocked and so sorry about that.

My daughter lives in the West Midlands and she has been accepted and was even offered a choice of SW or WW.

There must be different policies in different area's, I am truly sorry about that, it's very disappointing for you. X

But that is at least a step forward...

If the surgery know about the scheme then at least they have the info to make some informed decisions instead of just saying no.

Well done you!

But that is at least a step forward...

If the surgery know about the scheme then at least they have the info to make some informed decisions instead of just saying no.

Well done you!

I would doubt the surgery will be allowed to make a decision like that. Id imagine youd need to get the local health authority on board. If a surgery referred you off their own back - whod pay SW?

My area doesn't do SW on referral either but they do offer a weekly (or monthly, its up to you) weight loss appointment with one of the nurses at the surgery.

I suppose at least they're trying and not just leaving us high and dry when we ask for help.

J x

I'm still answerable to myself and I have followed the plan this week, I've had all my Hexs and between 9 and 15 syns so I really can't see where I went wrong. I know at the end of the day it's not the group meetings that made me lose weight, it was me and I've gone it alone before.

I do sympathise with you was the same for me! When i decided to do something about my weight i went to my doctor for some advice on where to start! She gave me a referral to the lesuire centre to use the gym which i was pleased about and she told me to make an appointment with the dietican. Just before i went to see the dietican i found out my sister in law was doing slimming world which she had funded by the nhs, so i thought i would see if i could do the same.
Well when i got to the appointment the woman could not have been any ruder to me and said to me "Im not a miracle worker i cant just wave a wand over you" I was so humilated! She then went on to suggest i joined slimming world so i told her about my sister in law (Who actually lives 1 hour away from me), she replied look we arent made of money some practices do that some dont! I actually left there feeling worse than ever!
It is a shame that the funding is not available for every one but dont let this put you off track keep doing it your self and if you have had a gain dont worry about it! Draw a line under it!

It does kind of get to me that these days it's all about weight and obesity and they're fast enough dishing out pills but something that actually works for someone? That makes way too much sense!

They do the slimming world referral in my area and I rang up to join, its called Lose Weigh Feel Great and because I was over a certain BMI(can't remember what it was)I wasn't eligible for Slimming World, so basicallly because I'm too fat they won't fund it for the 12 weeks or offer me the exercise classes. All I got was a password for a nutrition website and promise of a nutirtionist and psychologist but this hasn't happened. I joined the scheme in February 09 :(

I think as long as you show a commitment and are losing weight then the NHS should fund it as in the long run its going to be better for the NHS.

You could try losing a bit of weight on your own, just to show them that you do have the determination. I can't believe they've put an upper limit on it, Slimming World don't have an upper limit! This plan works for everyone who tries it and it would cost them less in the long run!

I think there are around 50 PCTs that use the SW referral programme. Mine isn't one of them :(

i never knew that drs could refer you and to be honest and probably gonna be linched i dont see why they should,id be a bit peed off if i knew i was paying for class and the person next to me was getting it for free at the end of the day were all doing it for the same reason and im prepared to pay cause i tried doing it alone and couldnt so i need the support.and im sorry for my opinion and dont want to be linched

Unfortunately its a lottery, all to do with which PCT you belong to. For example, when I was offered a gastric band, my PCT would have paid (once they'd recieved all the information), but had I lived somewhere else they may not have done.

Its the same with certain drugs, its all up to the PCT whether it works out good value for them, and because different PCT's cover different parts, and different amounts of the country it's a real bu**er.

So some PCT's may say "we have X amount of money in our budget and Y is being used on this and X on that, so ooo look we can use Z on helping people lose weight by refering them to SW/WW". If they don't have this option in their budget, then all they can do is offer you a dietian appointment and if one exsists, an NHS run exercise programme!

Its all mad!

i never knew that drs could refer you and to be honest and probably gonna be linched i dont see why they should,id be a bit peed off if i knew i was paying for class and the person next to me was getting it for free at the end of the day were all doing it for the same reason and im prepared to pay cause i tried doing it alone and couldnt so i need the support.and im sorry for my opinion and dont want to be linched

I understand what you mean. However the free classes are only for 12 weeks, if that makes you feel any better.

No don't be sorry, your opinion is your opinion love lol. I used to think exactly the same way, if someone got themselves into such a mess they should get themselves out of it. I was made redundant and the choice I have is stop going to class permanantly and risk the weight going back on or going begging to the NHS. I would rather die a thousand deaths than gain any of that weight back on so although I don't like it I'm just doing what I have to do.

thanks for not linching me thats just my opinion but saying that i have only ever had to lose a stone so im not really over weight as such but would rather be that stone lighter so i can totally understand where a person who needs to lose lots is coming from.

Back