Not only BMI But Waiste Size Matters?

Huseyin

Silver Member
Ok just got back from weigh in and the LLC measured my waist, although im now 1 stone away from target making me 12stones i was told that my waist is still a 40 and that it needs to shrink 3 inches more at least.

Of course when I say waiste I mean measuring around the actually belly button and not hip region.

Has anyone heard this as my LLC wanted me to carry on till it shrunk, dont want drop below the healthy BMI of course.

She did note that I should stop when happy. Just wondering what your LLC told you.

Last edited:
Am doing CD but this is very true. Fat around the waist makes people more prone to heart conditions. I think the risk is increased if the waist is larger than 32 or 34 inches for women (don't quite remember) and greater than 37 or 40 (don't remember either) for men. It has been argued that the waist measurement is more accurate than the BMI.

Yeah exactly what I was told, i knew about the waist theory, but she seemed quite ok for me to drop into a lower BMI (one that is classed as unhealthy) and get a perfect waist.

When i was 16.11 stones i was 44" now im 13 stones and 40" so roughly its a stone per inch, i cant drop to 10 that is really unhealthy.

I think perhaps its more to do with muscles and pulling the gut in, i think its time for the fitness ball to come out!

I believe they think there is a link between bigger waists and internal fat (and hence risk of heart problems). So "apple" shapes are advised to reduce their waist measurements to below 94cms (about8ins).

Yes, waist size is more important than BMI from a health perspective.

My doctor told me that she's not interested in BMI, but prefers to follow waist size guidelines.

Yeah exactly what I was told, i knew about the waist theory, but she seemed quite ok for me to drop into a lower BMI (one that is classed as unhealthy) and get a perfect waist.

When i was 16.11 stones i was 44" now im 13 stones and 40" so roughly its a stone per inch, i cant drop to 10 that is really unhealthy.

I think perhaps its more to do with muscles and pulling the gut in, i think its time for the fitness ball to come out!

BMI is just simple math, it's no real indication of what's happening inside you. A lot of muscular athletes/sports-people would have a higher BMI but (probably) a low level of internal fat. No doubt more definition from working out would help!

The worry is looking too skinny with a belly, see there is a contradication here with LL I found, if you drop below the healthy BMI and are grossly under they stop you and put you on RTM, they then accelerate your weeks on RTM too. So you could skip weeks 1-4.

Now the information im getting is does not matter about BMI only waiste, my brother in law was dropping too much and they had to stop LL for him but his waiste was still 39"

Perhaps im worrying for nothing, but will step up the exercise. I think the LLC my brother in law went to made a mistake in his case.

Last edited:
Just to clarify for people reading these posts, im stating merely what i have heard from my brother in laws LLC when he dropped below a certain weight. Im not saying LL is telling you to drop below a certain weight.

BMI is not an indicator for health its actually waist size according to many articles.

Hope that clears that up :)

hey h
i am still 3lbs off my healthy bmi (hoping to hit this tonight) but when i was measured last week my llc said that i was healthy as my waist measurement was 33 inches- for a woman it is supposed to be 32 but i am 7 inches taller than the average woman so proportionally i am well within the healthy bracket. i think all of these measurement can only really be a basic guide as they dont allow for ethnic differences in bone density or various other things
ella
x

This is quite interesting. My starting waist measurement was 32", and this was as an obese BMI - so for me, in the fat reserves around internal organs way I was healthy - however, my weight was far too high for my height, so classed as unhealthy. My doctors never took into consideration that my weight wasn't so much round my waist but tummy, hips and legs and I was always told I had to lose the weight.

There's quite a good article in one of the LL mags I've seen that uses Rugby Players to illustrate that whilst many of them would be obese using BMI Calculations all the ones listed were healthy by waist measurement and the 'weight' was due to muscle mass not fat.

Don't supose this helps but I found it interesting.

There's quite a good article in one of the LL mags I've seen that uses Rugby Players to illustrate that whilst many of them would be obese using BMI Calculations all the ones listed were healthy by waist measurement and the 'weight' was due to muscle mass not fat.

Don't supose this helps but I found it interesting.

I remember one of my first blog posts mentioing Lawrence Dallagio as an example of this. His BMI is obese!

I think it's horses for course at the end of the day. My BMI isn't lower than 25 but my body fat percentage is less than 20% (healthy). I'm not putting much stock in my measurements cos I know there's loose skin issues there.

Vintella my LLC is the same person as yours. She knows her stuff.

Sean i will have to have a look at the mags and see, BMI has always been a non indicator to me as it does not take into account things like bone density and water etc.

This is quite interesting. My starting waist measurement was 32", and this was as an obese BMI - so for me, in the fat reserves around internal organs way I was healthy - however, my weight was far too high for my height, so classed as unhealthy. My doctors never took into consideration that my weight wasn't so much round my waist but tummy, hips and legs and I was always told I had to lose the weight.

I'm heavier than you, EmVeg, but sounds like I was similar build until my last pregnancy - I always had a waistline but big bum and thighs. I don't know what happened in the last few years (maybe there simply couldn't be any more fat cells on my bottom half!) but I developed a rounded tummy. It's going a bit now though!

Back