Nursing

broadsbean said:
hello tigger, althougth you may not believe this if you read any of my other posts but i to am a nurse :)
Have been qualified since the late 1980's so also did the old training. I work on an acute admissions unit so life is never dull. I also work with students a lot as a mentor and think a little bit of life experience goes a long way and one of the best students i have ever had turned 50 while working with me :)
It is usually the one area in my life i am in control. I have never regretted becoming a nurse even on the really bad days and i am sure you won't either. Neither the training or the job are easy, but it is really worth doing.

Good Luck xx

Thanks for your reply, I just want to do something with my life to make a difference to others :) I have no idea what branch of nursing I want to go into-I know people who work in all 4 branches so obviously they will all say theirs is better :) I don't know when I'd have to make that decision but hoping Clareel or yourself might be able to shed some light on that!
The thought of being a student again after nearly 17 years terrifies me, but is quite exciting at the same time x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

You will be fine chick! The access course will ease you into studying in time for the nursing course :) Any idea whether you want to do the diploma or the degree?

As for which branch to choose it's totally up to you, I chose adult as I didn't want to go down the MH route after doing the psyc degree. Childrens nursing is not for me. It takes a very special kind of person to be able to look after poorly children and I honestly down't think I have it in me, I imagine it would be extremely rewarding though.

Many of the uni's do a common first year, meaning that if you apply for one branch you can change to another after your first year. I don't think you will really know what you want to do for sure until you have some placements under your belt and some hands on experience (I still have no idea where exactly I'd like to work as I've only ever worked in gynae!).

You will find your feet though, the main thing is that you have taken the steps into getting where you want to be!

P.S. don't stress about being a student again, you will get back into the swing of things and there will be loads of others like yourself who haven't been in education for a while.
Also, think of the benefits of being a student! Free money from the government, no council tax bill, student discount basically everywhere! It's great lol :D

Clareel said:
You will be fine chick! The access course will ease you into studying in time for the nursing course :) Any idea whether you want to do the diploma or the degree?

As for which branch to choose it's totally up to you, I chose adult as I didn't want to go down the MH route after doing the psyc degree. Childrens nursing is not for me. It takes a very special kind of person to be able to look after poorly children and I honestly down't think I have it in me, I imagine it would be extremely rewarding though.

Many of the uni's do a common first year, meaning that if you apply for one branch you can change to another after your first year. I don't think you will really know what you want to do for sure until you have some placements under your belt and some hands on experience (I still have no idea where exactly I'd like to work as I've only ever worked in gynae!).

You will find your feet though, the main thing is that you have taken the steps into getting where you want to be!

P.S. don't stress about being a student again, you will get back into the swing of things and there will be loads of others like yourself who haven't been in education for a while.
Also, think of the benefits of being a student! Free money from the government, no council tax bill, student discount basically everywhere! It's great lol :D

Thanks, I think it's just cos it's all so new! Bangor only offer the degree as far as jm aware so that's all I've looked at :) x

i am reasonably sure the diploma is about to be discontinued as we are headed towards an all degree profession, I think it is 2013 that happens, dinosaurs like me will need to look out. lol
As to choosing a route i would wait and see you may find the one for you while doing your access course

I work with several people who started out doing the access course and all seem to feel it prepared them well. Studying is easier when your older as you are choosing to do it, and know what the results will bring.
Mandy x

I'm a nurse :) I did the degree in university of Glamorgan 2003,qualified in 2006.I went straight from a levels practically,just had a gap yr working to save for a car.my friends on the course were a range of ages 20's, 30's,40's and a couple in their 50's.some had done the access course and found it a good stepping stone and was great for getting to grips with essays etc if they'd been out of education for a long time.all became fab nurses!

Nursing is great :) my mum was a nurse too,prob in my blood. I work on coronary care unit in South Wales....I love cardiology and fast paced working,using my brain.I enjoyed all the different fields of nursing when training.loved mental health and wouldn't mind either dual training with MH. Also have an interest in work in neo natal too....watch this space :)

You'll develop a sick sense of humour
You'll fall in love with old people
You'll realise doctors are not gods!!
Wiping a bum will be no different to you than wiping a bit if spag bol off kitchen work top lol
You may turn into an alcoholic ;)

My moto is always to look after someone how u would want to be looked after.
Always work with a REAL smile on your face.
Always involve the patient in their own care and make time to talk to them.
Be their advocate

Most importantly enjoy! It's very rewarding!

Please ask me any questions you want :) x

puddleduck108 said:
I'm a nurse :) I did the degree in university of Glamorgan 2003,qualified in 2006.I went straight from a levels practically,just had a gap yr working to save for a car.my friends on the course were a range of ages 20's, 30's,40's and a couple in their 50's.some had done the access course and found it a good stepping stone and was great for getting to grips with essays etc if they'd been out of education for a long time.all became fab nurses!

Nursing is great :) my mum was a nurse too,prob in my blood. I work on coronary care unit in South Wales....I love cardiology and fast paced working,using my brain.I enjoyed all the different fields of nursing when training.loved mental health and wouldn't mind either dual training with MH. Also have an interest in work in neo natal too....watch this space :)

You'll develop a sick sense of humour
You'll fall in love with old people
You'll realise doctors are not gods!!
Wiping a bum will be no different to you than wiping a bit if spag bol off kitchen work top lol
You may turn into an alcoholic ;)

My moto is always to look after someone how u would want to be looked after.
Always work with a REAL smile on your face.
Always involve the patient in their own care and make time to talk to them.
Be their advocate

Most importantly enjoy! It's very rewarding!

Please ask me any questions you want :) x

Thanks! My mum is a physio, my 2 uncles are a dentist and a pharmacist, my auntie is a doctor and my cousin is a nurse so I guess we aRe quite a medical family in some respects! I love the care work I used to do, and am desperately trying to get back into that, as I really want a career with job satisfaction that will make a difference! x

I'm a student nurse! :-D I'm halfway through my second year and absolutely love it.

Don't worry at all about what age you are, the ages in my cohort vary from 19-52 year olds and it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference - infact, I think having a mixed age group benefits in a lot of ways as it gives room for different ideas, concepts and discussions in lectures and it's just nice to have a mix of friends! :D

Good luck, and please feel free to ask any questions - I'll answer them if I have the answer hehe.

Also as someone else mentioned, the student nurse forum is really good and there are a few people over there doing the access to healthcare/nursing course!x

Well all was going well for my plan, until today when I discovered they've withdrawn the bursary for nursing students-so now not looking like I'll be able to go, as that was the only way I'd have been able to afford it :( I'm devastated. I feel like I don't know what I'm going to do with my life anymore :( :(

Hannah:) said:
Heya, I thought they had only withdrew the Non-Means Tested Bursary which was being given to Diploma Students and switched it to a means-tested/student loans system.. There is quite a bit of funding which you may be entitled too..

- Council Support (for being a student)
- Access to learning funds (accessed via the uni)

(http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/Documents/Students/FAQ_9.pdf)

Alternativly another route would be to get a Job as a Health Care assistant then after a couple of years speak about being 'seconded' - You will be on your regular wage as an employee within the trust but not having to work there as your a student nurse.

Don't let funding stand in the way of your dreams!

Thanks, altho it is ridiculous, that altho I live at my parents address I pay for myself, yet I'm going to be penalised! I'm 33, and they've offered to let me stay there till I Finish uni, yet because I live there, I'm probably not going to able to afford to go to uni!!!!!!

I'm not a nurse but I was a "mature" student, hahaha. I opted for A Levels instead of HE and went through that whole application process with help from no one, but figured it out and can assure you that it's not as complicated as they make out :D

Well done on the 5 year plan- I *do* love the sound of a determined lady x

JezVonSavage said:
I'm not a nurse but I was a "mature" student, hahaha. I opted for A Levels instead of HE and went through that whole application process with help from no one, but figured it out and can assure you that it's not as complicated as they make out :D

Well done on the 5 year plan- I *do* love the sound of a determined lady x

Thanks! But obviously today's discovery has put the spanner in the works tho :(

Thanks, altho it is ridiculous, that altho I live at my parents address I pay for myself, yet I'm going to be penalised! I'm 33, and they've offered to let me stay there till I Finish uni, yet because I live there, I'm probably not going to able to afford to go to uni!!!!!!

ARGH sorry I missed the bad news post :(

I don't really know how nursing degrees work so this may not be valid, but I went through uni on a standard student loan and worked part time for expenses. Is that not an option? Sorry, really obvious thing to say but worth a shot?

JezVonSavage said:
ARGH sorry I missed the bad news post :(

I don't really know how nursing degrees work so this may not be valid, but I went through uni on a standard student loan and worked part time for expenses. Is that not an option? Sorry, really obvious thing to say but worth a shot?

I was told we weren't eligible for a student loan, as we get the bursary, but now the bursary is means tested, it will be based on my parents earnings which takes the p**s as I'm 33 years old :(

So if there is a bursary available there is no opportunity to apply for a student loan whatsoever? That's crap!

Can't you apply for non-means tested?

Back when I went to Uni means testing only went upto 25 I think, and you could opt for non means tested but that usually meant you got less money.

Can't believe they means test 33 year olds- what a joke!

JezVonSavage said:
Can't you apply for non-means tested?

Back when I went to Uni means testing only went upto 25 I think, and you could opt for non means tested but that usually meant you got less money.

Can't believe they means test 33 year olds- what a joke!

Nope-the non means tested one is the one they've withdrawn!! Hence my predicament!! :(

Well hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along and offer better advice- you'll sort something out. xx

From the NHS website:

All students on university courses in nursing (leading to registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council) will be eligible for some financial help from the NHS while studying.

Eligible students who are accepted onto approved courses will usually have their tuition fees paid in full and may receive financial support in the form of a bursary.
All eligible students will receive a £1,000 grant each year. They will also be eligible to apply for an additional means-tested bursary of up to £4,395 per year. Students in London will qualify for more (up to £5,460)
NHS Student Bursaries provides financial support to eligible students taking approved (NHS funded) courses in nursing.

So I wouldn't give up! Sounds like you'll get your tuition paid and a £1000 per year grant - then you might get some extra from the means-tested bit. (And I presume that if you weren't living at home then all/the majority of the bursary would go on food & rent anyway.)

Back