nzmegs - last chance saloon

OH dear - I am both looking forward to and dreading management. I think I might do a couple of weeks of lite before I move on. That way I will be changing just one meal a day at first and still losing a little bit.
Just a couple of weeks to go before I have to make that move at least. Total feels safe right now. But moving on to another phases feels really scary.
We have been told by our counsellor that we can stay in our weight loss group while we are on management. I am pleased about that as two of us are heading towards it at the moment and it would be good to stick together.Besides The times of the management groups are wrong for me and I might end up not going. Which would likely be a disaster.
I am currently having "issues" at home which is really testing my resolve - but not once have I felt like resorting to food.I have ironed, done housework, cleaned the kitchen and knitted - but I haven't eaten. That is an achievement.
I am sure the problems will be sorted eventually - but this time I am feeling bullish and won't give in....wish I could go into more detail, but suffice to say that there is precious little conversation happening in our house right now :(

nzmegs said:
OH dear - I am both looking forward to and dreading management. I think I might do a couple of weeks of lite before I move on. That way I will be changing just one meal a day at first and still losing a little bit.
Just a couple of weeks to go before I have to make that move at least. Total feels safe right now. But moving on to another phases feels really scary.
We have been told by our counsellor that we can stay in our weight loss group while we are on management. I am pleased about that as two of us are heading towards it at the moment and it would be good to stick together.Besides The times of the management groups are wrong for me and I might end up not going. Which would likely be a disaster.
I am currently having "issues" at home which is really testing my resolve - but not once have I felt like resorting to food.I have ironed, done housework, cleaned the kitchen and knitted - but I haven't eaten. That is an achievement.
I am sure the problems will be sorted eventually - but this time I am feeling bullish and won't give in....wish I could go into more detail, but suffice to say that there is precious little conversation happening in our house right now :(

Good luck with your choice when you decide to move over. RTM starts slowly first week you still have 4 packs a day then you move to 3 for a while, so very much like lite.
I agree staying with your group will be good as too many changes at once could be unnerving.
Jx

Woo Hoo!! I have just gotten back from my weigh in and lost an impressive 4 pounds!! Now this might seem like small change to some of you, but if you look at my stats you will see that I haven't lost 4 pounds since my first and second weeks.
To lose 4 pounds when i am so close to me goal feel like it should be impossible. But hey, I did it.
So what have I done differently this week? I RAN....
I decided last week to start a running program. Just walking and running to start and it seems to have allowed me an extra pound off. I am doing it three times a week for 40-45 mins at a time. Mostly it is just walking, but with a minute of running every five minutes. I can't believe it made such a difference, but it did. This is despite drinking less water this week due to the cold.
the only downer this week is the fact that I have caught a cold and feel a bit rough. I will still be running - but maybe after a break of a day or two.
The personal stuff seems to be on the mend too, so hopefully within a couple of days all will be smooth once again.

OK, today I made a big decision. I have decided that I need to lose 13 more pounds. My original target was to be within the normal BMI range. But I have since realised that this isn't quite good enough. If I put on a few pounds during RTM (which is common) then I will slip into the overweight category again.

So my new goal is to be half a stone under the normal BMI or a BMI of 23.7.

How I will get to that new goal is the next question. I am definitely be doing two more weeks of total and might then switch to Lite for a further 2-3 weeks. or if I am still "coping" I will do total for another two weeks. My aim has always been to get to my goal by my birthday at the beginning of April and I should smash that. At the end of the day what is another 2-3 weeks of being on the diet? This is the rest of my life I am talking about. I don't want to regret not taking it further while I had the motivation.

So there you have it - 13 pounds still to go and probably another month before I do management.

Just back from weigh in and only lost a disappointing 1 pound. I have to realise that I lost 4 pounds last week, I am nearing my goal, I drank less water and I walked less as it was school hols and it was TOTM. I also had three bars which I don't normally have. All the same, one pound is pretty low considering I want to lose 12 pounds in the next four weeks.

So things I am going to change this week: drink more water - I have been a bit slack due to the colder weather, keep up with my walking/running, stick to the packs 100% (as usual), Have more soups and shakes, have just one bar. ( I need one because I have a day out planned on the weekend).

That should shift some extra poundage!

I have been getting on fine with drinking the water and have kept up with my exercise. I guess I will just have to see what my results are by next week.

I have been feeling a bit strange this last few days. I am wondering if I really need to lose more weight. I am just 4 pounds away from being a normal BMI and I want to go 7 pounds less than that. This, of course, a great normal weight to be for someone of my height.

But I am really fearing being too slim. My weight right now is the lowest I have been in more than 10 years. For my wedding I got to my current weight. So another 10 pounds lower than that will be uncharted territory for me and a weight I haven't been since I was a teenager.

I am nearly 40 and have two children. Do I really want or need to be skinny? Right now I feel about right, maybe a few pounds off in the right places would be OK, but I don't want to have skinny arms (they are already heading that way), a scrawny neck and shoulders and no boobs.

I recognise this is crooked thinking. I am worrying about something which might not happen. I might get to target and be perfectly happy with myself - delighted even.

But I feel like I am reaching a cut off point. The weight where my body has, in the past, said "enough is enough". The place where I have always stopped losing. it is a healthy weight, a nice looking weight and somewhere I currently feel comfortable. Why am I losing more?

because I set a goal, I agreed it with my husband and I can't go back on it now. That would become a failure rather than an achievement. To not reach that goal would be seen as a failure and everything I have done to get to this point would be pointless without getting to that goal.

I am still having trouble recognising my body. it feels and looks strange to me. I feel like I need some time to adjust.

So what are my options: Stop at my BMI of 24.9 and start management - but then risk putting on more and feel like a failure. Stick to my goal and see how I feel then - I could always put on a little if I don't like it. Slow the weight loss down while I get used to my body or just stick with it as planned and see it through to the end.

I think my best option is to just reach my goal and see how I feel. Live with my new body for a while and test it out for a few weeks. I am in control and can put on a little weight if I want to.

Thank goodness for the module on working through issues. Thanks for sticking with me while i worked my way through that dilemma!

Wow, what an amazing diary you have kept. This has been just what i needed to read as i am on day 2 of another VLCD. you have done amazingly well and I have appreciated your honesty about how you have managed. Thank you and good luck for the rest of your journey x

Oh thankyou Kez! I appreciate that someone actually takes the time to read it. I use the diary to express my fears and difficulties (and the successes of course!). Sometimes just writing something down can really help you to see it more clearly!

Good luck with your diet. VLCD's really do work.

You have done fantastically! i can't imagine how great it must feel to have a BMI in the normal range, it sounds like your almost there. Well done x

Weigh in today. 2 pounds off. I am getting there slowly but surely. But I will get there. I now have 3 pounds to go to be in a healthy BMI, then just 7 more to go to reach goal.

I am supposed to do "milk week" from today. Not sure tho. I am going to ask the question on the main board and see what others think.

nzmegs said:
I have been getting on fine with drinking the water and have kept up with my exercise. I guess I will just have to see what my results are by next week.

I have been feeling a bit strange this last few days. I am wondering if I really need to lose more weight. I am just 4 pounds away from being a normal BMI and I want to go 7 pounds less than that. This, of course, a great normal weight to be for someone of my height.

But I am really fearing being too slim. My weight right now is the lowest I have been in more than 10 years. For my wedding I got to my current weight. So another 10 pounds lower than that will be uncharted territory for me and a weight I haven't been since I was a teenager.

I am nearly 40 and have two children. Do I really want or need to be skinny? Right now I feel about right, maybe a few pounds off in the right places would be OK, but I don't want to have skinny arms (they are already heading that way), a scrawny neck and shoulders and no boobs.

I recognise this is crooked thinking. I am worrying about something which might not happen. I might get to target and be perfectly happy with myself - delighted even.

But I feel like I am reaching a cut off point. The weight where my body has, in the past, said "enough is enough". The place where I have always stopped losing. it is a healthy weight, a nice looking weight and somewhere I currently feel comfortable. Why am I losing more?

because I set a goal, I agreed it with my husband and I can't go back on it now. That would become a failure rather than an achievement. To not reach that goal would be seen as a failure and everything I have done to get to this point would be pointless without getting to that goal.

I am still having trouble recognising my body. it feels and looks strange to me. I feel like I need some time to adjust.

So what are my options: Stop at my BMI of 24.9 and start management - but then risk putting on more and feel like a failure. Stick to my goal and see how I feel then - I could always put on a little if I don't like it. Slow the weight loss down while I get used to my body or just stick with it as planned and see it through to the end.

I think my best option is to just reach my goal and see how I feel. Live with my new body for a while and test it out for a few weeks. I am in control and can put on a little weight if I want to.

Thank goodness for the module on working through issues. Thanks for sticking with me while i worked my way through that dilemma!

I really appreciate where you are and the thoughts going through your head, that's how I felt last October when I struggled with the same thoughts.
I actually spoke to my GP as I went to see him about something else, my surgery don't support LL, so I don't normally discuss weight. My question to my GP was I was unsure at what weight I should stop at? I'm 5'4" so weight range is anywhere from 8st 4lbs to 11st depending on the chart you use, my dilemma was I did not know when to stop?
He gave me some lovely advice which was to stop when I was in the dress size I wanted! Well at that time I was a 10/12, so I started management the following week. I can't say it's been smooth, some challenges not so much when I was on plan, but at the end a few weeks later, I started to go a bit off track.
I'm still a 10/12, and need to lose a few more pounds, I had allowed myself +/-7lbs of that weight, I did go over by a couple, but no long term issues.
I find the myfitnesspal app helps a great deal, allowing me to pause for a few minutes before eating something so I add it onto my diary. Time to reflect helps.
Good luck with the next part of your journey and make sure you go to management group, it's a great extension of total or lite group.
I had not gone after finishing RTM, so felt a little lost, and last weekend went to my first one, it felt very comfortable and I def will be going, they are monthly where I go.
Jx

Thanks Julz - you have really helped. I agree about the size thing. I am currently in a size 10/12 tops and size 12/14 bottoms. (I am a typical pear shape) so I really want to get to a comfortable 10 tops and 12 bottoms. I think that another 10 pounds is about right to get to that stage.

it doesn't help when everyone tells me that I am fine where I am. I have started to tell people that I am happy where I am too. Chances are they won't even notice if I lose some more.

Right now I am doing milk week and feeling positive about the next four weeks. I am sure right now that keeping going is the best thing to do. Who knows what next week will bring though...

Sounds like you have your head in the right place, when I started LL I told nobody, I did not want the pressures and expectations and ridiculous food talk that seems to go on when someone is on a 'diet'
After a few weeks I told a couple of close friends and family, and that's where it stayed. Nobody at work knows how I lost the weight, so when I started to continually get comments ' you're fine' ' don't lose any more' etc etc, from a couple of friends, I did exactly what you are doing which is kept it to myself and that also took the pressure off.
Be kind to yourself, I gave myself a really hard time over the last couple of months, putting pressure on me that I would not put on my friends or expect them to put on themselves. Some of the 'messages' I was reinforcing were nit good for the soul or the body.
So now I seem to have moved past that stage and am a little more chilled about it. I do use myfitnespal everyday, before I eat which allows me time to reflect before diving in, and am keeping to about 1200 calories per day, which is ok.
I like where it shows the breakdown of food values and how many carbs etc left to eat. My head seems to be finally accepting it, I just didn't get it before, which might seem strange as I have been on LL since last April, but I guess these lessons we need to learn sometimes rake longer fir some people.
I has an issue at work today which made me laugh.... About terminology and 5 times I had to ask the same question, I heard the answer but wad just not listening! Even though I was really trying.
Made everyone chuckle.... They will test me next week, I will have been to bed by then and forgotten again! Lol
I managed to make some adult decisions today which I am proud of ( chocolate:)), so tomorrow is another day and we are off again.
Rake care, and don't take the pressure
Jx

Thanks Julz, it is great to have someone around who has been at the stage I am now at. I said to my husband yesterday that I still am not used to my new body. I am now sure that I like it yet. I still don't quite believe it is mine and not someone elses reflection I am seeing.
He thought i was mad, because he is already used to the new me and expects her to stick around forever. I suppose i am just going to take a while to get used to the new experiences. Like clothes shopping. I found myself disappointed the other day when a size 10 top was a little tight....yet three months ago I would have been happy at a size 14. I suppose I put pressure on myself regardless of the size I am.
I will look into Myfitnesspal. I have used Fitday in the past for counting cals and it worked well. As long as I used it regularly.It is just a habit I will need to get into.
Well done on your adult decisions. I bet that because you have been thinking about your work issue, the terminology will have stuck by now. You haven't put it out of your head so you should be fine!

Tomorrow is weigh in day for me and I have been a trouper this week. I have drunk more water than ever and i cut back on the running and concentrated on loads of walking. My main aim is simply to lose this last few pounds.

I did a sneaky weigh in at home on the weekend and it looks like this week could be a good one - in fact I might even manage to get to my target in just another week. maybe two at the most.

My strategy for the following week is to stick to shakes and soups only to increase water content and to keep drinking 4-5 litres a day.

I am really pushing forward now for that last half a stone. In fact i think it now down to about 4-5 pounds - but we will see at the weigh in.

When I weighed myself on the weekend I saw 10 stone something on the screen. I couldn't believe it. I don't think I have ever weighed that(I must have skipped right over it!). To see the tens was so overwhelming for me that i went and told my husband and promptly burst into tears...

he understood that it was a big deal for me and he told me well done and all that. But I felt like I wanted that celebrate in some way. I had not idea how though.

Made me think that when I get to my goal it might be a real letdown - I might wonder what to do now. Obviously I will be able to enjoy my first proper meal, but what else? How do i make it clear to myself, my family and everyone around me that this is big - really big. that I have achieved something massive which i never thought possible.

On another note - today I walked to school to get my daughter as usual - but as it was warm I didn't wear my big bulky coat. it might have been my imagination (I am sure it was) but i felt like everyone stared at me. I felt quite uncomfortable with myself. Like people were wondering what has happened to me.

The thing is that I know what i think when other people lose weight. I tend to feel a lot of jealousy and console myself that they will probably just put it all back on. this makes me feel like now I am the one under the spotlight. Hiding away and being one of the typical slightly overweight Mums at the school gates was much easier...

Well, i have reached my target weight...I feel amazing, but strange. Very strange. I went to the supermarket to buy my food for the week. Just vegetables and some protein (tofu, eggs and cottage cheese for me) but it was odd. I haven't shopped for me for such a long time. I made sure I had a list and I stuck rigidly to it. I think I will need to be very organised each week as to what i will be eating and when.

I bought myself a new nail polish to celebrate and I gave my husband a thankyou card to show him how I appreciate his support through these last few months. I don't know how else to celebrate. but to be honest. it is still sinking in. it feel like i haven't finished yet and that i have still to do maintenance before i can truly say that I have cracked this. One thing I know for sure is that i will not be straying from the recommendations in my maintenance booklets. Lighter Life has helped me to this point and I trust that the way they expect you to finish the plan is the right way.

Our counsellor said today that the people she sees back having put on the weight have always not done maintenance correctly. They have felt that they had the skills to do it by themselves. I don't believe i have those skills yet. My counsellor believes i have the sense to understand the importance of maintenance. I have done this 100% to this point and i am not going to spoil that at all.

The only drawback i can see at the moment is that i am not in a dedicated maintenance group. this means that I felt a little bit like i dominated the meeting today. I had so many questions to ask and problems i felt i might face. I worried that I was taking ver a little bit. I am sure that will settle down. The rest of the class were really supportive and i really hope that I am a good example of what can be achieved. I felt a little strange though. Almost guilty that i was no longer part of the gang. But we all get to goal at different times and I can't help that I was the first of my group to get there. I just had less to lose - that's all.

So tonight's meal will be marinated tofu with salad, celery and radishes. With a lime juice dressing. Sorry about the food talk.

I've just read your entire diary and now off to find out what happened next in your management phase! I cannot thank you enough for writing all of this out. Watching your honest feelings weekbyweek has made me feel so much stronger. I'm only on day 6 and scared of what happens next, how I keep this going to lose 4 stone, your diary shows how it happens and how thoughts can be redirected. Awesome stuff! Xx

Back