o my god! o my god!

J D Wetherspoon Five Bean Chilli with Yellow Basmati Rice & Tortilla Chips per serving

extraeasy.gif
4½ Syns on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original 25½ Syns
green.gif
Green 4½ Syns

Its this one thats low syns, also includes the Tortillas

As for emailing them if they reply let me know, I emailed & wrote snail mail to the spoons HQ 6 weeks ago re JPs and how they were cooked and havent had a response

How do you get the image of the syns in a post? Thought I'd ask before I try and mess it up... :D

Hmm, think Im going to avoid Wetherspoons like the plague! Why anyone would want to deep fry a jacket potato is beyond me!

Guess I'll not be eating there then, they need horse whipping till they beg for forgiveness :8855:Seriously I'm sure many slimming world members eat their jacket spuds and just ask for no butter assuming they are free like our own spuds are :mad:

OMGosh - I can not believe the syns from there - shocking!!!

I would never eat there again, not that we have one near by us, but if we were to go into a city centre or something no way!!!

Eugh - its gross thinking they would deep fry a JS!!!

:eek::eek: Blimey O'Reilly!!!

I will NEVER eat there again... Yack!!!! Although it has always reminded me of a halfway house for alcoholics! Breakfast and a pint anyone? Ha ha x

lol I was about to say the same!

We went to wetherspoons last week on holiday, I had no idea their food was so bad. I spent ages deciding what to have and figured they couldn't do much to the chilli. I'm so relieved I went for that at 4.5syns!

I think this injecting oil into potatoes is a bit of a chinese whispers that has started somewhere and then got out of hand to be honest.

I was looking at their nutritional information and it all adds up correctly, they would be under legal action easily if their meals were not made to go alongside their nutritional information printed on their site.

I have just been having a look on there and a jacket potato with beans (with butter and salad dressing omitted) is 514 calories and 1.9g of total fat, which is correct and exactly the same nutritional information if you had made it yourself at home.

As for why slimming world are saying this meal from Wetherspoons has syns is beyond me , especially when they say a packet of savoury rice is free. There does seem to be far too much variation in things, including the inaccuracies with the syns calculator.

Wetherspoons have really hurt me with this one lol.
No more dinners with the buddies there!

I think this injecting oil into potatoes is a bit of a chinese whispers that has started somewhere and then got out of hand to be honest.

I was looking at their nutritional information and it all adds up correctly, they would be under legal action easily if their meals were not made to go alongside their nutritional information printed on their site.

I have just been having a look on there and a jacket potato with beans (with butter and salad dressing omitted) is 514 calories and 1.9g of total fat, which is correct and exactly the same nutritional information if you had made it yourself at home.

As for why slimming world are saying this meal from Wetherspoons has syns is beyond me , especially when they say a packet of savoury rice is free. There does seem to be far too much variation in things, including the inaccuracies with the syns calculator.

None of this makes any sense. If you think about it, why would Wetherspoons bother to put oil in or on their jacket potatoes, or fry them? Why go to the added expense?

Someone ordering a dessert with whipped cream presumably likes whipped cream, so there is an advantage to Wetherspoons in putting it on - it will attract that kind of customer.

But if someone orders a jacket potato they are probably doing so because they see it as a healthier option, and if she or she wanted something fried they would order the chips.

So, why bother? There seems to be no commercial advantage.

Britmum's careful calculations about the jacket potatoes (above) don't tally with the Syn value at all.

Like I say, it makes no sense.

When I asked a consultant I know (not the one from my class!) about this, she stuck her fingers in her ears and said that if one more person asked her that she would scream!!

I might ask her again when she has calmed down!

A friend of a friend who actually worked at Wetherspoons for a time said... they DO deep fry the jackets when they have cooked in the microwave. Its to make them look like they have been cooked in the oven! It crisps the skin up!

If you think of a Jacket that is straight out of the microwave the skin is all soft and moist. Given this if you drop it in hot fat a good amount of oil will penetrate the skin... hence an oil loaded jacket.

Next time I am in town I'm going into wetherspoons and order myself a jacket, then I shall get my detective kit out and do a few tests!!!:8855:

A friend of a friend who actually worked at Wetherspoons for a time said... they DO deep fry the jackets when they have cooked in the microwave. Its to make them look like they have been cooked in the oven! It crisps the skin up!

If you think of a Jacket that is straight out of the microwave the skin is all soft and moist. Given this if you drop it in hot fat a good amount of oil will penetrate the skin... hence an oil loaded jacket.

Next time I am in town I'm going into wetherspoons and order myself a jacket, then I shall get my detective kit out and do a few tests!!!:8855:

:eek::eek::eek: That's outrageous! When you've carried out your tests Patsy, send it back, inform the chef of your dangerous oil allergy and ask him if he's trying to kill you by trying to trick you like that!

Back