O/T Blood Donor

Discussion in 'Lipotrim Forum' started by Jayne33, 13 January 2011 Social URL.

1. Jayne33

Jayne33 Fighting for My Health

Start Weight:
    20st12.4lb
    Current Weight:
    17st7.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4.9lb(16.04%)
    Diet:
    Exante Total Solution Plus
    Totally off topic, but just wondering if anybody knew if you could give blood whilst being an asthmatic? I'm going to go tomorrow to try and give for the first time, but not sure if this would stop me? and if the answer is no, why is that? is it because the blood loss could induce an asthma attack, or because the blood would be no good to anyone else due to the medication (inhalers only in my case) used?
    My asthma is really well controlled and stable (on inhaled steroids only) and I don't have a cough or cold or anything at the moment. I'm fighting fit :) I'm half wondering whether to say nothing about it at all, but not sure that would be the most sensible thing to do :-/

xx

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. rolokate

rolokate Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st1.5lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st1lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    hi, I have a friend who has asthma and she gives blood and has done for years

4. Jayne33

Start Weight:
    20st12.4lb
    Current Weight:
    17st7.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4.9lb(16.04%)
    Diet:
    That's good to know :) I've actually just found some info on the Asthma UK website, and it seems a lot of people on there do as well. Only time they can't is if they are on prednisone (oral steroid) or their asthma is unstable. Will go along tomorrow and see what the clinic says, but sounds hopeful :)

xx

5. Jewel83

Jewel83 Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Diet:
    Lipotrim
    Good for you Jayne! Hope it goes well

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

6. Mini

Mini Administrator Staff Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(8.33%)
    Jayne33 you can't donate blood if you are on a vlcd and a centre will refuse to take blood if they know the donor is on a very low calorie diet, because blood viscosity and volume are affected by Total Food Replacement programme.

Total Food Replacement should not be followed for one week preceding blood donation and for one week after.

Source: Dr. Alan N Howard

7. molly63

molly63 Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st8lb
    Current Weight:
    12st7.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    3st0.5lb(19.5%)
    Diet:
    Lipotrim
    Hi Jayne I think it's great that you want to become a blood donor, If you go along to the session they will give you a health form to fill out and answer any questions you have.
    They do a quick test to check your iron levels first and if that's not high enough you can't donate.
    I've been a donor for years but haven't been since I started LT, I missed the last session due to the snow before Christmas.
    Good Luck let me know how you get on xx

8. SandraB

SandraB Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st12lb
    Current Weight:
    12st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(9.79%)
    Diet:
    Counting calories
    I wonder if doing LT had anything to do with the blood loss that I experienced during my hip replacement? I wasn't warned by my doctor that there could be problems and I did refeed for at least two weeks before? Anyway, my blood count and blood pressure were really low and I'm trying to make up for it now, feel absolutely knackered!

9. Jayne33

Start Weight:
    20st12.4lb
    Current Weight:
    17st7.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4.9lb(16.04%)
    Diet:
    I don't know Sandra, but I've been anaemic myself in the past and it's not pleasant at all! Hope you do feel better soon xx

Well, I went along lunchtime to see what they would say both about the asthma and the diet. They didn't seem concerned with either! Maybe it varies with clinic to clinic, person to person, I really don't know. Anyhow, I went ahead and gave a successful donation. It was all uncomplicated and I feel absolutely fine. In fact, I feel really rather proud of myself :) I've updated a bit more in my diary.

xx

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.