Only able to walk to lose weight

Due to a sports injury I am only able to walk at the moment no running, gym, dancing or swimming allowed.

I've always been an exercise enthusiast and have not been in this situation before.

Does anyone have any experience of just using walking while they are losing weight?

I keeping hearing experts say weight loss is anywhere between 80 and 90% diet, the remainder is exercise. I do love exercise but dont find it a fat burner, more of an appetite stimulater than anything! Walking is first rate exercise though, make sure you adopt a good form, comfy shoes, stay safe and get out there. I love love spending a whole day out walking!

I guess I just don't feel that much is happening when I'm walking, I miss my sweat and endorphins! Although it is mainly about food, I worry without exercising I'm losing muscle mass. I like to feel toned and strong too. I think I'm just gonna have to walk very far!

I love long walks (13 - 26 miles) :D

I didn't think Preston is that big but it is!

Without knowing more about your injury have you thought of convict conditioning? Amazing for strength. Or Yoga? I do both and have relied on them when I have had a couple of foot injuries that stopped me running for a few weeks at a time.

I am under a consultant and chiropractor who are monitoring my injury and giving me instructions of how and what to exercise as I go along. Strict instructions to only do 'Not too fast' walking at the moment. They know I'm chomping at the bit to get back to normal so as soon as I can start doing other exercise they'll let me know, every time I go to an appointment I'm saying can I go swimming, can I do yoga etc and they have a good chuckle at me.

I just wondered if any one else out there had experience of only using walking when they were losing weight, to find out how effective it is.

I find that walking can really get my heartrate going, if I'm somewhere hilly. It can really feel the benefit of it, without having to take up running or jogging :)

I find that walking can really get my heartrate going, if I'm somewhere hilly. It can really feel the benefit of it, without having to take up running or jogging :)

I would love to get my pace up, an imagine power hill walking is great exercise, personally at the mo I am only allowed to walk at a gentle pace. I can't wait to start running and working out again, going a bit nuts at the moment.

Not sure the gentle walking is doing much for my waistline but am enjoying it anyway, nice time to chill and think and observe. Just nice to be outside!

I love walking. When i lost weight a few years ago the only exercise i did was walking. 5 miles a day Mon to Fri and between 8 to 14 miles on a Saturday. Really helped and changed my shape. Just starting to walk again now but on a treadmill so i can rest if i need to.

Back