Orlistat stocks **update**

So weird how the co-op would get them and nowhere else but they are saying they aren't manufacturing them now so where is this stock coming from? My chemist says he just keeps getting told another month ect but they never arrive and he says when they do arrive I will likely not get any as he has so many prescriptions dating months back to fill first :(

Went to my local co-op today and they said co-ops have had deliveries and they are working down to them and to pop back in next week!!! Fingers crossed x

hypno1 said:
So weird how the co-op would get them and nowhere else but they are saying they aren't manufacturing them now so where is this stock coming from? My chemist says he just keeps getting told another month ect but they never arrive and he says when they do arrive I will likely not get any as he has so many prescriptions dating months back to fill first :(

It will be teva not xenical, they are a much smaller company so produce in much smaller quantities. Not sure whether Co-op have a deal with them or something..... Sounds promising though ladies so keep trying x

Haven't been able to get any up here for months, my nearest co-op pharmacy is 30 miles away and they don't have any anyway :(

im so sad i today have been given a perscription for xenical .. i have used it befor and works wonders... but to my supprise chemists can not get hold of it.... what the point gining me a perscription for it when you cannot get it.... i live in birmingham any idea why not and what to do xx

clairewise said:
im so sad i today have been given a perscription for xenical .. i have used it befor and works wonders... but to my supprise chemists can not get hold of it.... what the point gining me a perscription for it when you cannot get it.... i live in birmingham any idea why not and what to do xx

Hi Claire & welcome. You'll see many a thread about the problems. Roche who were the main manufacturer have problems in their factory & there has been very limited stock for the past 3 months or so... It's a case of ringing around smaller chemists & patience & lots of finger crossing!!!! As for what can you do, my advice is try your best to eat to the xen rules I think it's what a lot of people are doing (I haven't taken xen since February through choice but continue to lose fairly well). Hope you find some stock xx

PS I forgot to add that the docs don't seem to have a clue about the shortage!!!

Claire, I live in South Birmingham and I got some from Shah Chemist on the Bristol Road, B29 area, last week. They don't always have it in but he does have luck in getting it every now and then. It may be worth giving him a call

Cupcake, I managed to get Ali and my doctor recommended a fat free/ very low fat breakfast and no tablet, so 2 aday so they last longer, and as limited fat in breakfast weightloss shouldn't be slowed down. X

I'm in Ireland - not too far from the plant that makes xenical actually and was delighted when the doc perscribed it for me. Gutted to find out it was not available and there is no alternative. Went to see about buying Alli myself this week but now that's ran out as well. Chemists are not hopeful about getting Xenical , yet the doctors continue to perscribe it.
But I have managed over a stone loss in a month without it - so hopefully I can keep that up.

largerthanmost said:
I'm in Ireland - not too far from the plant that makes xenical actually and was delighted when the doc perscribed it for me. Gutted to find out it was not available and there is no alternative. Went to see about buying Alli myself this week but now that's ran out as well. Chemists are not hopeful about getting Xenical , yet the doctors continue to perscribe it.
But I have managed over a stone loss in a month without it - so hopefully I can keep that up.

Hi there, firstly well done on your loss. Stocks ate coming in bit by bit from Teva as opposed to Xenical. I know this is true as I sourced some for another member of mins when the co-op pharmacy got some in. My advice is keep raining round the smaller independent pharmacies weekly x

Hi there, firstly well done on your loss. Stocks ate coming in bit by bit from Teva as opposed to Xenical. I know this is true as I sourced some for another member of mins when the co-op pharmacy got some in. My advice is keep raining round the smaller independent pharmacies weekly x
Hi - thanks for the reply. Apparently it's not available from Teva in the Republic of Ireland. But I am 3lb down this week and my perscription is pinned to my fridge as a little mascot for now! I ask in every chemist I pass - one today had a letter with a release from Roche - it is still not yet discontinued but awaiting a human drug approval certification or similar before it can be produced again. Makes me a bit concerned as to what exactly the problem with it is.

Just found this.....

[h=1]Latest News[/h]Orlistat Supplies
posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 | Categories: Xenical

A further update on the situation with Orlistat; we have spoken to one of the manufacturers (Teva) and they have assured us that they will be able to supply us in mid-July. There has been an issue with the supply of medicines containing Orlistat since February as Roche (the maker of Xenical) ran into production problems at one of its manufacturing sites in the US.The resumption of supply will come as a relief to many patients who have had their weight loss regime interrupted. It looks like Teva is riding to the rescue and we now expect many more prescriptions being written for generic Orlistat now that we are all aware of this alternative. The serious interruption of supply has really damaged the reputation of Roche and sales of brand Xenical may not recover.

Not long now peeps!

Quick question - one of the problems that has held up production is the link with possible liver failure - should your GP send you for liver function tests before you take this or monitor you whilst you are on it? The more I read, the more confused I become. Being skinny with liver disease is less appealing than just being fat.
European Medicines Agency - Referral procedures - Orlistat

Depends which research you read bc they were arguing was liver function less effective bc the subjects were obese and had fatty livers or was it a side effect.

The conclusion drawn from most recent testing and hence reproduction starting was that the % was higher for those not taking orlistat than we're so the link was revoked!

So no you do not need you lfts monitored!

X

I rang my nearest chemist this morning and they had teva in stock. My prescription is for 2 boxes but the chemist would only give me the 1 box due to the shortage.

So glad to have them back! I have been trying to get my prescription since it was issued at the start of april. Not had any tablets since then and I have so far put 5lb back on!

Back to a new start today! Although I will have to ration them to make them last a little longer!

Thanks for the update. it's good to know som is getting through. I've been relying on alli I had bought at the start of the shortage. It was looking like there would be no more alli, some of the gossip on the web suggested. The alli I have will be running low.

Just got a month's supply of Teva Orlistat from my Co-Op Pharmacy, they rang me to say they'd come in, so it may be worth a phone call to you local one - they do keep getting them in, it's just that they don't stay very long! x

TracyGWill said:
Just got a month's supply of Teva Orlistat from my Co-Op Pharmacy, they rang me to say they'd come in, so it may be worth a phone call to you local one - they do keep getting them in, it's just that they don't stay very long! x

Great news, am chuffed for you...

Back