Ouch hemorrhoids (piles :()

Brightness

Happily on CD
OK then, anyone got any weird and wonderful cures?

I have been in agony since last night and the Anusol HC just isn't working :(

I haven't had these since I was 8mths pregnant with my 9lbs 9oz son, over 20 years ago :(

Don't know who else here has had them but I found the Anusol kicking round the bathroom cabinet :D

• Wash the area gently with warm, salty water, to get rid of irritant mucus that has leaked out. Dry carefully with cotton wool and apply petroleum jelly (available from pharmacies) or nappy rash cream to protect your skin if more mucus or moisture leaks out.
  • Use soft toilet paper, and dab rather than wipe.
  • Wear loose underwear and clothing (i.e. not tight trousers), so that nothing will rub the pile.
  • Do not scratch. For more information on dealing with itch, look at the section on anal itching.
  • Avoid constipation by eating lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and bran cereal. Aim for faeces that are soft enough to change their shape as you push them out.
  • Drink plenty of fluids.
  • After you have passed the faeces, do not strain to finish. People with piles often think there is more to come, but this is a false sensation caused by the swollen spongy pads in the piles themselves. Do not read on the toilet and aim to be out of the toilet within a minute.
  • If you can feel a lump, try pushing it gently upwards; try to relax your anus as you do so.
  • If you have a lot of discomfort, buy a haemorrhoid cream or gel. A pharmacist will be able to help you choose one that is suitable for you. A haemorrhoid cream or gel does not cure the pile, but will usually relieve the discomfort effectively until the pile goes away of its own accord. Do not use it for longer than a week or two.
(Taken from a website for copyright reasons!)

Cheer Mike, have been doing all that - am currently considering sitting on an ice cube ;)

Wouldn't mind but I haven't even been constipated as I've been taking extra fibre to the packs.

I know from my training how common they are but I'd forgotten how flipping painful :( I always thought Anusol HC was the best thing but am now thinking I might go and see if anything else stronger has been introduced lately - it hurts to sit down :rolleyes:

I had them in america about 7 years ago and they do lidocaine (I think that was the name!) and it literally was local anaesthetic on yer bum and was just THE best feeling ever!

Oh what a good idea. I've got some of that in the form of Lanacane upstairs. I bought it when my youngest had a nasty reaction to some bites. He was on antibiotics but it deadened them for him too - cheers mate you've quite possibly saved the day :)

Hi Brightness,i think what mike is talking about is totally different to lanacane,i use lanacane,cream and powder.
I had the same prob as u for the first time in my life about 4 weeks ago and i got "Germoloids ointment" and it seriously did the trick for me i think within 48 hrs the symptoms had gone and def by the time i used the ointment twice it started relieving the symptoms.
Hope this helps u xxx

Oh I do sympathise!!! They hurt like hell, don't they? I cannot imagine why people think it's funny to make jokes about them - OUCH!!! Poor you!!!!

Hope you're feeling better very soon, hun!

OK then, anyone got any weird and wonderful cures?

Yep, I have a weird and wonderful cure, but when I tell people what it is, they all laugh and say that they'll stick with the anusol.

Shame really as it's an excellent cure, only costs pennies, is perfectly safe and I find it works better than any over the counter methods.

All depends how desperate you are :D

Welllllllllllllllll I'm not in agony any more yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I can still feel it there but it's not that painful now :)

I found tha Lanacane and used that :) Cheers for the anaesthetic suggestion, Mike.

Roch, Lanacane cream is Benzocaine and from the same family as Lidocaine. A mild topical anaesthetic :) The powder has got zinc oxide in it amogst other things which helps stop itching by drying skin out. Thanks for the suggestion about Germoloids though. If it's not started to go by tomorrow I will get some :)

Come on then Karion, don't keep me in suspense!

Isobel, yep, they sure do hurt like hell :( First I knew I had one was about 2am this morning I was lying in bed awake (thanks to a pair of rowing lovebirds outside LOL) and suddenly ouchhhhhhhhhhhhh it started throbbing :~(

But you know I lurve keeping people in suspence :D

You've got to promise not to laugh. Piles are no laughing matter, and I know the pain!! This was the only thing that worked for me.

Get a small raw potato. Grate it
(just about a tablespoon) and put it on the affected area between skin and old pair of knickers. Best do it at night as it needs to stay on for a few hours.

You can even make a suppository out of potato about the size of a matchstick. Be careful about inserting though :eek:

Wear old knickers as the potato stains underwear purple. Also make sure you don't have an attack of anything serious in the night, cos it's hellishly difficult to explain to the paramedics:)

It is so soothing though and for me, they have either cleared up during the night or been so small I've hardly noticed them.

I used to get awful piles after kiddos were born and the agony they can cause.... Tried everything, but this worked best.

Okay....finished laughing...I saw you :D :D

No you didn't! What a brilliant idea :) I'm going to try it tonight. It's like a potato poultice & they used to use those for all sorts of things :) I wonder what's in the potato to make it work?

Honestly, I didn't laugh, I sat and read it and took it all in, thinking what a wonderful anc cheap remedy - anything is worth trying when you're in the flipping agony I've had today!

Cheers Karion :D

I've heard Karion's cure before but couldn't bring myself to try it. Hope it works for you honey, and at least you're not in pain anymore xx

I'll let you know if it works in the morning :) Then you too can try it next time you get them babes xxxxx

Don't quite know what hubs will say to me going to bed wearing a pair of granny knickers with a potato down them though hahahaha

No you didn't! What a brilliant idea :) I'm going to try it tonight. It's like a potato poultice & they used to use those for all sorts of things :) I wonder what's in the potato to make it work?

Honestly, I didn't laugh, I sat and read it and took it all in, thinking what a wonderful anc cheap remedy - anything is worth trying when you're in the flipping agony I've had today!

Cheers Karion :D

Teehee. You must be a first not to laugh :D Leave the granny pants behind, you need quite close fitting ones. It's so lovely and cool.

DH has never even known about my remedy. Helpful he works nights ;)

Karion,

I never laugh at weird cures - it's the witch in me! Tbh, they usually work a darned sight better than ones costing a fortune :)

Well...... I'm pleased to say that this weird and wonderful cure is just exactly that :):):):)

I can't believe the relief that you get when you 'apply' it and this morning I woke up feeling quite comfortable. It's aching a bit now but nothing much. I'll put it on again tonight and hopefully, by tomorrow it will have completely gone :)

Reactions: KD
Back