Do you find it harder to lose weight as you are getting older?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Age makes no difference

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Over40:-/

I started joining weight conscious forums recently after discovering that years of ‘watching what I eat’ and constant abstaining from all the delicious foods my friends were enjoying accounted for nothing.

When I hit 40, I was determined not to turn into my mum (sorry mum, I love you very much) as my memory of her up to her 40th was a slim, attractive woman. After she turned 40, she seemed to just gain weight at a rate of knots and was always ‘dieting’ or attending some slimming club!

I couldn’t work out what had changed and in truth, it didn’t much matter to me - I was after all a selfish 21 year old with years before I needed to consider ‘managing’ my intake.

Sadly, the truth was, her weight gain did have an effect on me. I became conscious of smaller portions and just saying no to things I really wanted to eat. Good literally absorb my days and I was obsessed by staying at a certain weight 8st 10 was my ‘ideal’ and I’d weigh daily (yes, every single painful day) to ensure I stayed there.

If I jumped on the scales and was under I would be overjoyed.,, reliving what I did yesterday as part of my success and building it into my today’s and tomorrow’s. It was an awful way to live and must surely have affected those around my selfish sorry abstaining behaviour.

But it worked! I allowed myself a small rise in weight (never go over 9st 7) when I had my children but 40 was approaching fast and I knew, just knew, that that was the turning point for my mum and my ‘caution’ age.

So, I’ve been at 40 something for a while now and I’m happy to share my do’s and do differently with you over the coming weeks (or as I put them in some sort of helpful order)
Much love

Weight gain is very common once menopause approaches. Another very common reason women gain weight is thyroid disease. I don't know about in the UK, but in the USA, it's very common for doctors to ignore symptoms, refuse to test, and under treat the problem.

That was certainly true in my case, for sure.

Back