Parking across your drive!

Mel-hugz

Don't you just hate it?? argh!

Come back and bam theres a car across it! :mad: not only does it look like a drive it has a dropped curb and a white line across it.....thick much?

I kept popping my head in the window to see if they were still there but i missed them when they left damn it!

Anyone know who you call? i got told you either call your local police station not 999! or the council and they will come out and either warn them or give them a ticket because of the dropped curb, white line and the fact they were on a junction!

Maybe out of order but i just keep thinking what happens if my daughter had an accident and we were stuck in the drive :( we dont know where or who they are!

My parking bay gets pinched at times and I have notices I keep in my glovebox to slap on the offending cars lol

If it was totally blocking your driveway - phone the police. Pass the reg no of the veh and theyll try and get hold of the owner, failing that it can be towed away if necessary

I can relate. I live three doors down from a tiny primary school in a semi rural area which has been slowly expanding over the years, but no further provisions have been made for parking, so I do totally appreciate that there are parking issues.

There have been a large number of times that one of the parents has parked across my driveway, but they have always ben in the car at the time and have seen me indicating to go in and have moved, however one day I came home from work on a half day to find someone actually parked IN my driveway (a private residential driveway beside my house/garden) and the driver wasn't there.

There was nowhere else at all for me to park and I was currently blocking the road, so I jumped out and ran up to the school where the parents were waiting and asked if whoever owned (and described the car) could come down and move it, and the guy said no because he was waiting for his son to come out!

I said I'm currently blocking that road because of you and you have 30 seconds to come down and get it moved or I am phoning the police and reporting you for trespassing on private property.

As soon as I said that he came straight down and moved it, all the way screaming at me calling me an inconsiderate b*tch and how he hoped I could live with myself if his child got injured (the school do not let children from P1 - P5 off school premises unless they are being collected by an adult, so that was a completely moot point)

Quite a scary experience, needless to say the gate is kept locked now.

Frustrating isn't it? The people who live opposite me had loads of visitors and although they don't park right across my drive they part right opposite it on a narrow road - I can get out eventually but it takes a lot of too-ing and fro-ing in the car.

Bung a note on their windscreen - I bet they did it out of sheer ignorance and will be rather :eek: I rather suspect the police won't be too bothered about getting involved. :(

My folks get very stressed when people from the pub 3 doors down park right outside their front door but it's a public highway at the end of the day and they can do nothing about it.

Yeah friends had issues with this is Glasgow - was told if you have valid tax, you can park on any street etc, providing there isn't yellow lines that kind of thing. So they tried the nice way and in failing with that, the not so nice way :) last I heard the car was missing several important parts :D

I left a note on a different cars window that had done it twice already we saw them read it and theyve not done it again since! I was hoping to catch these ones.

Waw that is completely out of order you would never dream of parking in someones drive you didnt know!! i would have blocked him in and called the police totally out of order, as for his kid...everyone knows young kids dont get to leave without parents...idiot!!

Well apparently the council will get involved and come slap them a fine but they dont work weekends.... grr! well if they do I couldnt get hold of them! I do however have a pic of the car across the drive, on the white line and shows it on the junction soo if they wish to do it again...

Yea OH was saying about towing it away, but i dont really want to bother the police knowing the police here they probly wouldnt turn up or it would take them a week!

It never ceases to amaze me just how rude and ignorant some people can be. A lot of the time it just boils down to sheer laziness too, god forbid if they have to park further away from where they are going in case they might have to actually walk a few steps.
Its one of the things that used to really annoy me when I picked my son up from school, i used to think the people who live in the same street as the school must get really sick of it.
If I drove, I used to park outside my mums house in the next street or just walk to school.
I would never dream of parking in front of somebodys drive or actually in the drive itself is really taking the mickey!
Rant over.

I usually know who does it as it is often the same person or their family/visitors.

It doesn't overly bother me as I know a quick knock on the door if I need to go out and they will move it.

I would never dream of asking them to move it just because it blocks me and I wasn't going out though. I know some of my neighbours do this!

Way to many cars on the road doesn't help.

Mel-hugz said:
Yea OH was saying about towing it away, but i dont really want to bother the police knowing the police here they probly wouldnt turn up or it would take them a week!

To be fair its not going to get a priority response but even calling with the vehicle details often means the owner can be contacted and told to move it.

I love making that kind of call 'You car is causing an obstruction you've got 10 mins to move it or it will be moved for you' :whistle:

Last edited:
To be fair its not going to get a priority response but even calling with the vehicle details often means the owner can be contacted and told to move it.

I love making that kind of call 'You car is causing an obstruction you've got 10 mins to move it or it will be moved for you' :whistle:

Can I have your direct dial? :D

You could always write a message on the windscreen with an old lipstick. It does no lasting damage, but is a real pig to clean off!

Noo i know thats why i wouldnt bother theres better things they should be doing.

I like the lipstick one!

My mate said to throw a brick through the car window with a note saying 'sorry i was aiming for my drive'....i would never do it thats extreme but made me laugh!

Made me laugh too !!

In England I lived on a farm on the edge of moorland. It had a long single track lane leading to it.

One night we got home at about midnight to find a car completely blocking the lane to the farm.

My ex husband flashed the car lights, a bare arm and shoulder came out of the car window and 2 fingers were raised in the air. He flashed the lights again..........nothing...........got out of the car to ask them politely to at least move for a minute and let us get home.........as he approached the car he was met with a torrent of abuse. I will never, ever forget the last sentence which was " Find your own spot you pair of b*st*rds " Ex explained we lived there and were trying to get home. He and his "lady" who was in a real state of undress, did reverse out to let us in. Would you believe they drove straight back to the same spot.

Still makes me grin now all these years later.

This kind of thing makes me so mad!! I live next to a shop and so my driveway is almost constantly blocked. My OH came home the othr day and told me everyone he works with thinks i'm crazy cos i'm forever having a go at people for parking on the double yellows across my driveway. The worst by far was the bloke who pulled INTO my driveway as i pulled out! Got out to tell me him he was parking in private drive to which he responded 'i'll only be 5 minutes.' Like that makes any difference! Grr. He was lucky i couldn't find a brick but i am loving the lipstick idea! Might even invest in a new bright red one just for this purpose :)

My God, I wouldn't dream of parking in someone else's drive! What on earth goes on in people's heads to make them think that's ok?! I even get edgy if my other half edges onto a drive when he's doing a three point turn - some people!!

I was under the impression (and I may be wrong) that you can block someone getting onto their drive but you can't block them for getting off their drive.

However, if your car is in a garage then how would the other car know you weren't in?

Personally I think it's downright rude to block a driveway and I wouldn't dream of it.

I actually don't like someone parking on my front, let alone across the drive! But then it hardly happens where I am. Still annoys me though!

Back