Parking across your drive!

I'll be honest I've used parent and child spaces when out with my mum, as the diabled spaces have been full. Disabled spaces are protected by law, but Parent and child spaces are a priviledge or courtesy provided by the shop. I've only ever had one ding dong with a woman who called me a "selfish cow" who had a 10 year old with her. I asked her how I was selfish "That's a parent and child space", so I walked her round to the front of the car and showed her the blue badge on the dash and my mum who was waiting at the front of the car, complete with mobility aids. I then said, we could by all means go to the customer service desk and ask them to clear this up. I explained Dis spaces are protected and I CAN legally park almost anywhere with a badge, and PC spaces are a priviledge, but lets go to CS and ask them to clear it up. "NO, Its not the point" "What that I'm right and you've thrown a nanny Rooney in front of your child over a parking space, to shame and humiliate a disabled woman?" She stormed off in a huff. And I would use the PC space again if with my mum, as she genuinely can't walk on bad days meaning even a short distance would leave her stiff and sore.

I do not however use the badge when my mum isn't there as a) its illegal and b)not required I can walk fine, and I never use a PC space if theres a disabled one avialable.

The people who use disabled spaces who are not entitled rip my knitting.

There was a good article about this in the Indepdent or Guardian I think it was, but I can't seem to find it.

The people who use disabled spaces who are not entitled rip my knitting.
Completely agree with this. My sister has a young disabled child, so can park in either when she has her with her, but will always park in disabled bay if there is one available rather than take up a Parent & Child space. People tend to forget that the reason that disabled spaces are so wide is a fairly similar reason to why parent & child ones are. Pretty difficult getting a wheelchair or buggy out of a car in a normal size parking space.

Taking my mum in the car means the door has to be right out/fully extended, I go round and help her get her legs out, then I help her up. Somedays she's "good" in that she manages out the car herself, but still need the space you get from the Dis or PC spaces! I totally get where you're coming from.

Bearing in mind that Im almost 6 months pregnant between me and her we need a fair bit of room! It's not like we could get in and out a " normal" space even if it was near the door.

Pretty sure you have more than enough reasons to park in the Parent & Child space if you are 6 months pregnant!

A 10 year old!! What was the point causing a huff for that, whats wrong with her was she ina people carrier she cant park by anychance! Ive seen some people get out with teenagers!!!!! what the hell!! ill use parent and child till my daughter is say 6/7 by then she can undo her own seatbelt and climb out of the car, its just a pain climbing in to get her out and usually impossible in a normal space!

I understand with genuine disabled spaces, but you get those old people that seem to do it for fun! they get out and walk faster than i do!!

Parent and child have wider spaces to get a baby or toddler out of the seat safety and without causing damage to other cars. Lazy *******s tho who park in them without kids or with teenagers get on my nerves. Someone once told me she was with her child~ who must of been late 20"s. Lazy lazy ignorant biatch xx

I think its okay for blue badge holders to park on the parent & child bays if they have a disabled child with them! People who aren't disabled but park in the disabled bays are most inconsiderate though and it happens so much that i imagine disabled people can't use the disabled spaces and so they use the parent & child spaces instead!

I could not agree with you more. It really makes me cross when able bodied people park in disabled peoples spaces. I always say something to them even though it leaves me wide open to abuse.

I mean oldies classing themselves as disabled and parking in parent spaces i dont do it to them! yet ive had to squash a car seat out of the tiniest spaces because of them.

Hey less of the oldies!! It is not exclusive to my generation.
We have a young couple who come over here several times a year. They come in a pale blue Mercedes resplendent with its disabled badge displayed. They are neither of them disabled. When they came into our shop( we still had the shop then) I asked which one of them was disabled. It was supposed to be her. She was supposed to have a back injury. She goes water skiing, dancing and walks the length and breadth of the village market without a problem. They park for 24 hours at a time in a disabled bay as they do not have allocated parking in their apartment block.
They are both under 40 years old and cheat 2 governments. They are benefit cheats so parking in a disabled spot is small change to them.

This is one oldie who would rather fly to the moon than have to have a disabled badge and I would never park in either a disabled bay or a parent and child bay.

I have to admit that I had no qualms in using a Parent and Child bay when I used to take my dad out if the disabled bays were full. My dad needed a stick or walking frame to walk and it drove me nuts when the disabled bays were full with half the cars not having a badge

I helped him out the car one day, now anyone looking at him could see he had problems walking, and this witch came storming up with her kids who looked around 10/11 and said 'Cant you read the sign this is a parent and child bay the disabled bays are over there' My dad pointed out they were full and since the car park was so busy we'd have had to park a considerable distance away and that her kids were pretty grown up and didnt really need the bays. She said thats not the point these are parent and child bays at which point dad held up his hand and said 'Ok let me stop you right there, these are parent and child bays? Well in that case thats fine, have you met my daughter - shes my child, Im her parent so were all happy then' and walked away. Her face was totally shut lol

I have to admit that I had no qualms in using a Parent and Child bay when I used to take my dad out if the disabled bays were full. My dad needed a stick or walking frame to walk and it drove me nuts when the disabled bays were full with half the cars not having a badge

I helped him out the car one day, now anyone looking at him could see he had problems walking, and this witch came storming up with her kids who looked around 10/11 and said 'Cant you read the sign this is a parent and child bay the disabled bays are over there' My dad pointed out they were full and since the car park was so busy we'd have had to park a considerable distance away and that her kids were pretty grown up and didnt really need the bays. She said thats not the point these are parent and child bays at which point dad held up his hand and said 'Ok let me stop you right there, these are parent and child bays? Well in that case thats fine, have you met my daughter - shes my child, Im her parent so were all happy then' and walked away. Her face was totally shut lol

:roofles:

Very quick thinking. Normally you think of something like that after the event. Well done your dad.

Hey less of the oldies!! It is not exclusive to my generation.
We have a young couple who come over here several times a year. They come in a pale blue Mercedes resplendent with its disabled badge displayed. They are neither of them disabled. When they came into our shop( we still had the shop then) I asked which one of them was disabled. It was supposed to be her. She was supposed to have a back injury. She goes water skiing, dancing and walks the length and breadth of the village market without a problem. They park for 24 hours at a time in a disabled bay as they do not have allocated parking in their apartment block.
They are both under 40 years old and cheat 2 governments. They are benefit cheats so parking in a disabled spot is small change to them.

This is one oldie who would rather fly to the moon than have to have a disabled badge and I would never park in either a disabled bay or a parent and child bay.

Your not old!
I know what you mean about benefit cheats, theres some over the road to my mum classes himself as disabled conned a brand new 2011 4x4 from tax payers, then hangs out of his windows to clean them.... and i mean hanges out and climbs to the other window, windowsill to windowsill!!!

Star light - your dad is ace!

Your not old!
I know what you mean about benefit cheats, theres some over the road to my mum classes himself as disabled conned a brand new 2011 4x4 from tax payers, then hangs out of his windows to clean them.... and i mean hanges out and climbs to the other window, windowsill to windowsill!!!

Star light - your dad is ace!

Thanks for that but I am a bit of an old crone lol. 67 is old but I feel fit and young.

I just hate benefit cheats. Genuine people work hard to pay into a system that keeps the cheats.

What is it about us Brit's that stops us from shopping them. There is a number to ring to report British benefit cheats living in Spain, but I have never had the courage to do anything about it.

It used to be a big business here denouncing people for whatever misdemeanour and the person who reported them received 10% of the fine if it was something that went to court. Don't know if I agree with that . Leaves a great big area for dishonestly reporting folks. Of course it does not exist now.

We used to have this happen often with the same person so my son and his friend parked infront and behind him (you couldn't get a matchstick between the bumpers so he had no chance of manoeuvring out of the space) He knocked on my door and asked me if I knew who the cars belong too, I said I did, he then asked if I could get them to move, I told him sadly not as they had just left for the airport for 2 weeks in the sun - I shut the door and giggled behind the curtains, we left him stewing for 2 hours before they moved their cars :D He's never parked there again

Thanks for that but I am a bit of an old crone lol. 67 is old but I feel fit and young.

I just hate benefit cheats. Genuine people work hard to pay into a system that keeps the cheats.

What is it about us Brit's that stops us from shopping them. There is a number to ring to report British benefit cheats living in Spain, but I have never had the courage to do anything about it.

It used to be a big business here denouncing people for whatever misdemeanour and the person who reported them received 10% of the fine if it was something that went to court. Don't know if I agree with that . Leaves a great big area for dishonestly reporting folks. Of course it does not exist now.

Your as old as you feel!

I know! when i worked at argos they were telling me to pretend my partner wasnt living with me and claim single parent....waaaat!! i never did it but turned out 2 other employees there were doing it! completely not on!!! We are on a low income but still pay tax and council tax for those who cheat it all! aaaaargh britain is stuffed!

We used to have this happen often with the same person so my son and his friend parked infront and behind him (you couldn't get a matchstick between the bumpers so he had no chance of manoeuvring out of the space) He knocked on my door and asked me if I knew who the cars belong too, I said I did, he then asked if I could get them to move, I told him sadly not as they had just left for the airport for 2 weeks in the sun - I shut the door and giggled behind the curtains, we left him stewing for 2 hours before they moved their cars :D He's never parked there again

we were going to block him in as we have another car which isnt 100% at the back of the drive but it doesnt have road tax at the mo so thought we might end up worse off! shame though next time ill call my mam and dad round!

Mel-hugz said:
Your as old as you feel!

I know! when i worked at argos they were telling me to pretend my partner wasnt living with me and claim single parent....waaaat!! i never did it but turned out 2 other employees there were doing it! completely not on!!! We are on a low income but still pay tax and council tax for those who cheat it all! aaaaargh britain is stuffed!

They shouldn't be allowed. I am a single parent who does work n always has and struggle to not only get by but look after my son, cook clean work and as of Sept study at uni for a degree. People who take the piss annoy me x

On the parent and child thing - I remember two work colleagues (both without children) getting very riled about those with small children getting special places close to the entrance. I tried to explain it wasn't our fault they were close to the entrance but that what was important was the extra width.

Apparently they parked in parent and toddler spaces deliberately on a point of principle.

I used them when my two were small but as soon as they'd left the toddler stage I stopped. I've seen people with children of 5 years and more using them. Why?

Back