peppermint tea

mrtc

I used to drink huge amounts of diet pop.

It was giving me lots of stumock upset and pain. So i then decided to start drinking hot drinks, i was drinking hot cordial, but then got introduced to peppermint tea, these days i drink 4/5 pepermint teas a day, as well as lots of water.

But a friend has told me she read that too much peppermint tea is bad for you, anyone heard this? Should i go back to hot cordial?

Tried green tea but cant drink it

The only down side I have heard about is if you have a pre-existing reflux condition. Otherwise I say carry on enjoying your tea! Everything we do has risks attached - have you seen the possible side effects from an aspirin?

I've noticed this lately that a lot of herbal teas recommend max of 2 cups a day. Would be interested to know why too. I can't see how it could hurt you if it is all natural stuff?

I did part of a degree in Herbal Medicine, and I’m also a great herbal tea enthusiast! Herbal teas are a great tool to use for weight loss, but it is always best to know the effects of different herbs on the body. Most herbalists and manufacturers will recommend a maximum of only 2 cups per day, unless you are using the tea to medicate a condition. (Lemon & ginger for sore throat, flu symptoms and stomach upsets; camomile for anxiety, cramps and muscular pain; etc).

Peppermint tea, specifically, aids digestion and can speed up your metabolism, but you have to beware because it also makes you hungry! This is because it works by stimulating your digestive juices. That’s not a bad thing, because eating healthy things in small quantities often will also speed up your metabolism. So you’ve definitely picked the right tea so long as you utilise it properly.

Because of the effect it has on digestive juices, it is not a tea that you should use if you have an ulcer or acid reflux. It will aggravate those conditions. If you don’t have any bother in this area, then by all means continue. Just remember, all things in moderation. For most people using peppermint as an aid to weight loss, I would recommend 3 - 4 times per day, but definitely would not have more than 4.

Hope that helps!

Kitsune that's a really interesting post. I've just started drinking peppermint tea, someone told me it helps if you're prone to bloating. Is that correct? Thanks for the info.

There are a couple of causes of abdominal bloating, and there are different solutions for each. Bloating can be caused by water retention (sadly a common problem amongst us ladies due to changing hormones), and it can also be connected with poor digestion or digestive disorders, such as IBS.

If bloating is in connection with digestion, peppermint tea is usually the herbalist’s primary recommendation. Even for IBS, most people find that peppermint tea brings them immense relief from painful bloating. You can also try fennel tea, or even chewing on fennel seeds. Make sure you drink the tea before your meals for it to have a settling effect on your digestion. Live yoghurts also work well if you take it after meals.

Water retention can be treated with dandelion or nettle teas, or a combination of the two, as these are diuretics (they make you wee a lot). If you suffer from this regularly, you’ll need to minimise your salt intake. When this it is particularly bad, you may notice puffy hands, fingers or ankles at times. If are finding that this is a regular problem or if you suffer from it badly, it would be worth seeing your doctor or nurse to check that your blood pressure is within a healthy range, or for any other contributory conditions.

Great info, Kitsune!

I drink 2-3 cups of Peppermint Tea a day. To the OP, I couldn't handle Green tea at first, but you get used to it after a while.

Wow thanks, I'll give the peppermint a go seeing as I have it,already. If it doesn't do me any good I'll the nettle tea.

One of my friends is trying to start her diet, one thing she struggles with is eating breakfast, then gets starved by lunch so ends up binge eating, yesterday i surgested instead of having her usual coffee, try a peppermint tea, today is the second time shes tried and on both days, shes been able to eat breakfst without feeling sick, peppermint does make you hungry but also caffine can supress food so i guess shes doing the right thing, hopefully she will come online

Back