Pete's Recipe Book

Hi pete
Am trying some of your recipes this week. They look fab.I love egg custard, does your recipe taste like the shop bought egg custards?

:)

hi pete i hope u dont think im being rude but how much roughly do u spend on shopping a week?
(u see im on a very tight budget, as my family wont eat slimming world, so i have to do 2 lots of shopping) , also ur food looks so great , well done !!!!

Hi rach1987.
I am on a state pension so I only have £70-00 a week to buy everything,including what we eat and we usually spend between a light week of £50-00 to a dear week 70-00!
I write a menu for the week and this way I know what to buy, the only changes are if the shop has a special deal on something I like.

Hi R-e-d.
The egg custards are close to the taste of shop bought ones but I find that the shop ones are sweeter, possibly using more sugar in them, try them and adjust the amount of sweetener till they satisfy your taste buds!

Pete’s Ras-el-Hanout Spicy Salmon

Serves 2

Ingredients

2 Salmon Fillets (ff)
1 Lemon (ss)(sff)
1tsp Ras-el-Hanout Spice
1tsp “Very Lazy” garlic
1Tbsp “runny honey”
1 Spring Onion, sliced, finely (s)(sff)
100g Couscous (ff)
1 Knorr “herb” stockpot
200mL water

Method

Place the salmon in an oven-proof dish, lined with tin foil.

Zest the lemon, then cut in half and extract the juice from one half only, tip into a small bowl, add the Ras-el-Hanout spice, garlic and half of the sliced onion, mix together then coat the salmon and leave to marinade for at least 30 mins.
Pre-heat the oven to 180c.
Brush the salmon with the marinade mix before covering with the tin foil and cooking for 10 mins, remove from the oven, then coat with the honey, return and cook uncovered for a further 5 mins.

Make the Couscous by putting the measured amount in a Pyrex dish, add the remaining spring onion and the other half lemon’s juice, make up stock by adding boiling water to the “herb” stockpot and mixing then pouring over the Couscous, then mix with a fork and cover with Clingfilm and set aside for 5 mins.
Plate up, fluffing up the couscous, and lay the salmon on top.

Serve with a side salad.

SpiceHoneySalmonSmall.jpg

(based on a recipe from the BBC Food page)

Last edited:
Pete’s Salmon & Vegetable

Serves 2

Ingredients

2 Salmon Fillets
1 broccoli stalk (s)
1 cup of frozen peas (ss)
8 small salad potatoes
1tbsp “runny honey”
1tbsp light soy sauce
1 lemon, use the rind & sliced thinly, also the juice (s)
Salad
Lettuce, carrot, tomato, onion, red pepper & celery (s)

Method

Place the salmon in a dish; tip the soy sauce over the salmon followed by the runny honey, cover in Clingfilm and place in the fridge to marinate.

Pre-heat the cooker to 180c, remove the salmon from the dish and place on a piece of tinfoil to form a “loose parcel”, add some of the marinade, sprinkle with chopped dill and add sliced lemon pieces along the length of the salmon, grate the rind of the lemon across the salmon, loosely wrap and place in a oven-proofed dish, and place in the cooker for 25 mins or until the salmon is cooked (the salmon will start to go a lighter shade and flake easy).

Cut the potatoes in half and cook in salted water for 20-25 mins. When cooked, drain in a sieve and cover.

Cut the broccoli into florets and place in a saucepan of salted boiling water along with the peas, bring to the boil and cook for 5 mins until “Al Dente”, remove and drain.

Plate up the salmon, removing the lemon and liquid, add the potatoes, broccoli & peas, add lemon juice if required. Serve with a side salad.

SalmonVegSmall.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------

Pete’s Spaghetti Bolognese Sauce

Ingredients
250g Extra Lean mince beef
1 Onion, finely chopped (s)
1 Carrot, finely chopped (s)
1 Celery, finely chopped (s)
1Tbsp “very lazy” garlic (s)
1Tbsp Basil
1Tbsp Tomato Puree (s)
1 Tbsp. Sweetener
1 Red Pepper, sliced & de-seeded (s)
350mL Passata (s)
250mL Stock made with a Vegetable Knorr “stock pot”
Shake of Worcester sauce
* Parmesan cheese if required
Method

Cook the mince in a dry frying pan until the meat is browned, remove from the pan and set aside.

Spray the pan with Fry Light and cook the onion, carrot, red pepper, celery & garlic for 5 mins to soften, return the beef to the pan, add the basil, mix together and cook for a few mins then add the passata, sweetener & tomato puree, sprinkle with Worcester sauce mix and simmer for 20 mins, add the stock and continue to simmer for a further 10 mins.
Cook your spaghetti as per the instructions on the packaging, plate up, and add the Parmesan if required.

SpagBol-3Small.jpg

Thank you Pete,

I will be making this Spaghetti Bolognese tonight as I already have all the ingredients!

bilsat said:
Hi R-e-d.
The egg custards are close to the taste of shop bought ones but I find that the shop ones are sweeter, possibly using more sugar in them, try them and adjust the amount of sweetener till they satisfy your taste buds!

Thanks for that, I'm going to have a go at these, both other half and I have a soft spot for egg custards :)

Pete’s Knickerbocker Glory

Serves 4

Ingredients

5 ripe Banana’s (sff)
1Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 bag of mixed summer fruits (s)(sff)
Sweetener

Extras
*1 Can low fat spray cream (1tbsp=1syn) (Co-op Squirty Cream)
*1 11g pack of Options (3 syn/4=0.75 syn each)
*4 Marshmallows (1 syn each)
* 5g Mixed Nuts (1.5 syn)

Method

Defrost the fruit if frozen and set aside until the end.
Peal the banana’s and cut into 30mm pieces, place in a freezer-proof plastic sealable box and place in a freezer, remove after 1 hour and pulp the bananas with a hand blender, then return to the freezer for another 1 hr.

Remove and beat the mixture, taste and add the vanilla extract and sweetener to taste if required return to the freezer.

Continue until the mixture appears like soft Ice-cream, it can be used as this or return until the mixture is frozen, when ready remove from the freezer.

Prepare the glass dish and layer the base with fruit, add a layer of ice-cream, continue until full, finishing with the ice-cream, finish with the liquid from the fruit tipped over the ice-cream.

ripe banana's

BananaSmall.jpg

Cut ready to freeze
Banana-2Small.jpg

1st mix
Banana-3Small.jpg

2nd mix

Banana-4Small.jpg

finished

Banana-5Small.jpg

Ready to eat!

Banana-6Small.jpg

This one was 2.5 syn's I used nuts & spray cream!

Last edited:
And there's more................

Knickerbocker Glory

KnickerbockerGlory-4Small.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------

Pete’s Peppercorn Sauce

Serves 4

Ingredients

4g black peppercorns
1 onion (s)(sff)
200mL skimmed milk (3 syns/4=.75 syn)
1 Knorr “veg stockpot”

Method

Part grind the peppercorns in a mortar & pestle.

Spray a saucepan with Fry Light and add the peppercorns & chopped onion, sauté the onions until soft, add the stockpot and mix until it dissolves add a small amount of milk and as it starts to cook add more, mixing all the time.

Repeat this until all the milk had gone, do not boil it, just simmering, and allow to thicken, test for seasoning, and serve.

PeppercornSauceSmall.jpg

Last edited:
I love this thread!! Have just subscribed and can't wait to give some of your recipes a go Pete - thanks for posting :)

Thanks all for the comments about my recipes, it's funny I get an idea about a meal and I then have to make it to get it out of my head! usually I look up the item on Wickipedia and study any recipes that are out there, then modify to suit SW or sometimes, just throw a few ingredients together on a whim and try it, only had a few failures and the wife is still alive (she is the chief taster) that's how the Knickerbocker Glory came about!
Pete

Haha, the wife is chief taster!

I recommended your thread to people in my class yesterday Pete and i've give you a shout to all the newbies about too.

Keep up the good work xx

Pete’s Beef Salad

Serves 1

Ingredients

Lettuce Leaves (s)
1 Tomato (s)
1 Spring Onion (s)
5cm Sliced Cucumber
2 Small boiled Potato’s
2 Pre-cooked Beef Slices
50g Couscous
1Tbsp Branston Pickle (1syn)
100mL veg stock

Method

Cook the potatoes, prepare the couscous by adding the boiling veg stock to the couscous, stir, cover in cling film and set to one side for 5-10mins while waiting for the potato’s to boil, slice the lettuce, tomato, cucumber & spring onion. Plate up, add Branston if required.

BeefSalad-2Large.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------

Pete’s Slow-Cooker Sausage & Beans

Serves 4

Ingredients

4 Sainsbury’s “Be good to yourself” extra lean
Cumberland Sausage (0.5 syn each)
400g Baked Beans (ss)
400g Cannellini Beans, rinse in hot water (ss)
400g Borlotti Beans, rinse in hot water (s)
400g Chopped Tomatoes (s)
500mL Knorr Rich Beef Stock-Pot Stock
1 large onion (s)
4 slices smoked bacon, finely cut into strips
1tsp dried thyme
1tsp paprika
1 chilli, deseeded and chopped finely (s)
Splash of light soy sauce
Splash of Worcester sauce

Method

Spray a frying pan with Fry Light and cook the onion, chilli & bacon with the sausage until cooked.

Switch the Slow-Pot to “high” and add the beans, add the Worcester sauce, soy sauce, thyme, paprika & 500mL of the stock.

Cut the sausage into 16 pieces and add to the Stock-Pot with the other frying pan ingredients.

Bring to a boil and add extra stock to cover the ingredients and then turn the heat to”low”

Slow-PotSausageBeansLarge.jpg

Slow-PotSausageBeans-2Large.jpg
Oh my goodness Pete, the sausage and beans are so delicious!!!! Thank you so much for your dedication and inspiration!!!

Thank you Pete for putting all your recipes on one page. I love following your post....you are such an inspiration. Keep up the good work :)

Pete, I have a proposal for you. Leave the delights of Birmingham and come and be my personal chef here in Greece - these all look SOOO good !

Back