Please do NOT buy these on ebay!

read the side effects of any mediaction.. including paracetomol, asprin etc

they have to list any reported symptom.. regardless of how rare.. if it developed while taking medicine.. related or not x

a lot of my stepmother's friends took meizitang, a few of them are doctors, and all of them experienced these side effects. obviously not the worst ones mentioned here, but from what i've read and heard about it, 99% of people experience at least a few of these symptoms.

I jst think you have to be very carefully discussing medications/side effects/drugs based on hearsay without any medical knowledge/background.

Reactions: Taz
sadly, ive always been a fool for these "lose 15lbs in 2 weeks" schemes that flash up all over the internet all the time ... ive bought hoodia from ebay, a so called "metabolism boosting, fat burning" course of tablets .. non of which ever worked. and its so tragic to read about that lady .. its certainly made me realise i was putting my life at risk buying all these pills.

I jst think you have to be very carefully discussing medications/side effects/drugs based on hearsay without any medical knowledge/background.
So true, any medication should only ever be obtained from credible sources

god this is a depressing thread :( shame none of us are happy with a bit of weight on us , could be worse..as it is now for that poor family :(

Only ever used Xenical from my GP. Although I never had any 'accidents' it did have rather unpleasant side effects and appeared to have no impact on my weight loss so I stopped taking them.

I think the main problem is that the GP's who will give you these don't back it up with any sort of nutrition advice or information on support networks.

A few of my friends have also tried this and none of us lost any weight so seemed to be no pro and all con - just my personal opinion but all diet pills seem to be a bit of a con......does anyone actually know anyone personally (or through friends/family) who has lost weight anywhere near to the claims made by the manufacturers?

It's so sad that this has had to happen and I agree with an earlier post in that this needs to have wider publicity to fully highlight the dangers involved.

When i was in the states a few years ago i used Phentermine pills and lost 3 stone. They work as an appetite supressant and have been banned over here since the 70's. I bought them from an online pharmacy and thankfully suffered no side effects. I have a few friends that use them in the US and also have some friends here who use speed to suppress their appetites but for me i now believe that a healthy eating plan is the only way to lose weight and to maintain the loss :)

Speed/amphetemine isnt well known to cause weight loss.. it is however a recognised appetite suppresant.

Ephedrine/Ephedra was a common amphetemine like substance used in slimming tablets - Dangerous if you don't have a clue!

I have taken an amphetamine based product. (not bought on ebay though!) When they say "constipation" is possible as a side effect you may think they mean it in the same way as head aches are possible after aspirin. You'd be wrong. One of the ways in which amphetamines work is by slowing down your digestive track so that food is not eliminated and consequently you feel full.

Slow down to complete, 3 weeks long, life threatening shut down that requires surgery to mend in my case. So be very very careful....

Did she die from the pills? Or from taking to many of the pills?

IS there actually evidence that slimming tablets work, even from real brands and comapanies?

The tablets she took does work - it's DNP - a very dangerous chemical that speeds up metabolism by drastically altering cell function. The result of the whole process means that the body generates a lot of heat. It's not a chemical to play around with and is way to dangerous to class as a "drug" in a true sense.

According to the article, the lady took five times the recommended dose not realising what these tablets were. There is no way to reverse the effect of DNP - too much and you literally cook to death! It's horrible!

There are licensed pharmacies selling prescription medicines like Zenical and they are legit, but imho, it's a case of being aware - better not to buy on the net. Whilst it is possible to check batch numbers against manufacturer's websites, internet buying of drugs is imho a sign of despiration - better to go to doctor and beg, or join a scheme like Boots run.

Last edited:
It is a very tragic story but I'm sure taking 5 times the recommended amount was a factor in the woman's death.

Back