Pocket Money

I totally agree with kids doing paper rounds etc - my sisters 2 kids are now 21 and 18 and had every thing given to them and have absolutely no idea about money - in one hand and straight out the other!

I want my daughter to do a paper round. Gets them used to getting up early for work and gives them a bit of pocket money. I think she needs to pop to the corner shop and have a chat to them. Is it 13 for paper rounds?

yes it SHOULD be Jaylou!

My oldest is 12, but he doesn't get pocket money every month. Occasionally I may buy him the magazines or other things he wants (new football boots, sweatbands, tops) and he got the WII package for his birthday. He helps quite a bit around the house and with his brothers and whenever he gets good marks on his progress report we may occasionally we may give him the odd £10 note (maybe every 3 months). Think it's good you are teaching your daughter some responsibility with money though.

My son is 12 and he gets £20 a month and then I buy some sweets and bits pay for his youth club and such. My girl is 14 and she get £40 a month put in her account and I pay a tener for her top up. I would make her get a job but she's at ballet 3 nights a week and at the Birmingham Royal ballet on at Saturday and has already started her GCSE coursework so I think she has enough on her plate. My eldest has just turned 17 and is doing A levels she gets disability living allowance for her Tourettes but I don't let her have it all as she is lousy with money, she's just started a job at Mcdonalds and is realizing that people have to work hard for their money.

My two are 13 and 16. They both get £20 per month pocket money, for which they have to dust and hoover their own bedrooms every week and do either the washing/drying up on an evening.
They get other treats throughout the month, but the money is just there to show them that you don't get owt for nowt and have to work to get something.

Michelle

My six year old gets £2 a week & my 15 yr old gets £7 a week. I don't make it dependent on doing jobs as if I ever need a hand around the house I don't want to be made to feel I have to pay for it! My kids are pretty good & if I say I want something done they do muck in. My older kids (adult boys & teenager) are expected to keep their own rooms clean, nothing to do with pocket money though.

I also pay £15 a month for my 15 year old's mobile contract. She's supposed to feed & walk the dog for that. If she's around she does it!

Mine does jobs so she can learn the value of money. I don't pay her for extras because I do get her extra treats as well.

Back