2 carrots, chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp lemon pepper (optional)
juice of one lemon
handful fresh coriander, chopped
a few mint leaves, shredded

1) In a pan of boiling water, boil the onion, carrot, celery and garlic for about 10-15 mins or until carrot is soft. Drain and blitz with a blender stick .

2) Meanwhile, in another pan bring the stock to a boil and add the lentils. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 mins. Stir occasionally and add more water if it dries out.

3) Add the pureed carrot mix to the lentils and add the dry spices. Simmer for 10 mins. Add the lemon juice and fresh coriander. Serve with the shredded mint leaves and a sprinkle of paprika. This is also really nice served with a swirl of low fat natural yogurt.

Note - this soup really thickens up so it can also be served over rice for a substantial meal.

Attachments

• IMG_5227.JPG
    IMG_5227.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 197
Vixxster, those mushrooms look gorgeous, how do you cook them?

I just cook em in frylight with chopped red onion! I took them out once cooked and put to one side and drained off the excess water that had come out. Then I put them in the pan to reheat for a minute after the steak is cooked... in the same pan - maybe that's why they went all caramelised!

They were heated through by the time everything else was plated up.

Roast Curried Butternut & Pumpkin Soup

I adapted this from allrecipes.com as I had a pumpkin and some squash to use up! Was really lovely - especially with the yogurt swirled in at the end!

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 butternut squash, halved and seeded and 1 small pumpkin, quartered and seeded or 2 squash (I used 1 small pumpkin and 2 bulb ends of squash that I had sitting around)
  • 2 large onions, peeled and quartered
  • 1 medium head garlic
  • 6 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
  2. Place squash halves and onion onto the prepared baking sheet. Wrap garlic in foil and set with other vegetables.
  3. Roast in the center of the oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until the squash is tender. Remove from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.
  4. Squeeze garlic cloves out of their skin like paste into a food processor. Scrape the flesh from the squash and place into the food processor along with the roasted onion. Puree until smooth (I used a blender stick straight in the pot and it worked fine!). Add vegetable broth if necessary. Transfer the pureed mixture to a stockpot and stir in vegetable broth. Season with the bay leaf, brown sugar, curry powder, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
  5. Remove bay leaf and serve hot. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired and swirled with low fat yogurt.

Attachments

• IMG_5230.JPG
    IMG_5230.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 112
stacy and hopeful.....thank you for the inspiration
More proof that SW food can be mega-appealing! x

I did a nice SW breakfast over the weekend and thought it looked so good a'd take a pic of it. Syn free as far as I know on a red day. Morrisons eat smart diet sausages, Bacon Medallions, mushrooms, scrambled egg, tinned tomatoes and a bit of frying steak. It was pretty darn good.

4008330302_e5018f065a.jpg

Now that's my kinda brekkie!!! ;-)

Back