practice nurse

lola123

Silver Member
Went to see my practice nurse today to fill in my medical. She informed me that although she was willing to give me a medical that coincided with the LL form she would by no means sign, as she puts it "advocate a diet she wouldn't recommend". Now I have to see my LL counsellor on Saturday for my first meeting and don't know if she will let me start. The nurse said that she can ring her at the surgery for verbal confirmation but now don't know where I stand. I'm really raring to go, have expalined to the kids and I have all the familys encouragement. What shall I do?????????

It really irks me when people say it's not good for you etc... it's always people who are not and never will be in this position! My doc charged me nearly £100 to sign my form. said he didn't like the diet but I was fit enough to do it if I wished. I've since changed my GP. I work for a GP surgery and every single doctor has been so encouraging and so positive about lighterlife and VLCD! If only they were all like that!! My new doctors like the results but charge extortionate prices for the monthly check up. I get the practice nurse where I work to do mine thank goodness! I hope all goes well for you Lola... it's not overly encouraging though is it?

I find it so hard to believe that nurses and doctors would do something like that - you're best interests should their main focus not their personal beliefs. Is there another doctor at your surgery that you can see?

Well she was overweight herself so maybe she has issues of her own. She did wish me well and I wrote down all the things that she did, weight etc. Do you think my counsellor will accept this as me being fit for the diet.

No Lola I'm sorry but I don't think she will, I believe that it has to be signed and possibly stamped, I know the monthly checks have to be stamped as well as signed.

What can I do this is sooo frustrating. Iam morbidly obese as she put it today, why carn't someone in my position go on anything to help their quality of life.

See someone else at the surgery if you can - my nurse wouldn't sign me on not because she didn't want to just because she felt it should be done by the GP, the GP did it and my nurse has happily seen me monthly.

Thanks girls, she actually said to me today that I don't look forty one and this kind on of diet will age me, I came away feeling very deflated, glad I have my support here, thank you. oh yes the reason I don't have wrinkles is because of my weight??? help

Thanks girls, she actually said to me today that I don't look forty one and this kind on of diet will age me, I came away feeling very deflated, glad I have my support here, thank you. oh yes the reason I don't have wrinkles is because of my weight??? help

OO she has issues - I know it is hard but do try and laugh her silly comments off. What she has said to you says more about her than you.

You will get there and still look fab and under 40!

It really irks me when people say it's not good for you etc... it's always people who are not and never will be in this position! My doc charged me nearly £100 to sign my form.

:eek: That is bang out of order if you ask me!! Don't they realise, if more people lose weight it will take some of the strain on the NHS!!?? That is just crazy. Makes me mad. :mad:

My Nurse did my exam form, and she did say I should have been charged but she would do it for me anyway, no charge. wink wink nudge nudge. She did not say what the charge would have been but if they would have said that I think I would have told them to get stuffed!

Why do they have to make it so difficult for those trying to help themselves. I just don;t get it. Not a big fan of the NHS actually. :rolleyes:

That was my argument too BL! I'd been in hospital with possible heart failure (it wasn't luckily!) and was trying to avoid further medical complications and this is the response I got. I was fortunate that I could afford it but many can't!

She's signing to say that that is a true reading of your blood pressure/pulse etc - NOT whether she endorses the diet! I've seen two practice nurses and a doctor at my surgery and they were all more than happy to sign the forms, and were pleased that their patient was doing something positive to improve her own health!

Hi Lola

I just discovered the LL programme and was really excited to get started but my Doctor has also refused to sign my form. She has printed me a copy of my medical history but says that she will not sign the form stating the diet is not safe or healthy, I tried to argue that being 4 stone overweight is not healthy either. I don't know what to do? I have spoken to my LLC and she said that she will contact LL Head Office but she didn't appear too optimistic. I will keep you posted on what she says. Fingers crossed!

I had major major problems at my surgery. However I ended up seeing a private doctor, recommended by my LL councellor. It only cost me £40. He took a lot of time to talk to me about the diet, and my health, and any issues I had. My GP, had she not been so rude, and agreed to sign the form, would have charged me a hell of a lot more.

I think this is appaling. If its any help, my LLC said that they are happy to let you have your monthly check up at a lloyds pharmacy and most are quite happy to do so.
My doctor tried to charge me £40 when I got to the surgery and she didnt mention it until after she had filled the forms in- so I refused and said I would have gone elsewhere if I knew that she would charge me so she let me off!
Its so sad that we are trying to do something about our health and they discourage u by charging some people up to £100- shocking!
If I were you I would try your GP =] xxx

I've just joined CD and providing all the forms were ticked in the right places, and you weren't on any meds other than the pill or HRT, the Doc didn't have to sign it off.

Susie if you speak to your counsellor it's likely that he/she may know of a private doctor who will sign the forms for you - I'm sorry that you've struggled so much to get it done.

Back