pre op question re diet

broadpaws

Hi Guys

A friend of mine has lost a lot of weight on CD and has maintained for over 6 months - she is in the process of booking a tt about 8 weeks time - and although the surgeon is happy to operate at her current weight she would really like to go back onto a VLCD and shift another stone or two to maximise the operation - can she safely ss up to the op - I ahve told her to ask the surgeon.. but I thought some of you may know - her argument is that she will be having all the vitamins etc and she may even do 790 a few days prior to add some more protein to the diet to aid the healing - any info would be great!

A CDC will know for sure but I think you can't SS for 6 weeks before an op because you need to have full strength for it. not sure but I am sure someone else will know.

Thanks - prior to an op or after??
She ahs been told both - infact I am sure on here at some point someone was having surgery and her consultant said it was ok to continue on the diet PRIOR to the op but would need protein after to aid teh healing - I will get her to speak to consultant tomorrow

it really depends on what the surgeon says you can do.... some want 6 weeks, others think 2 is enough pre op and up to 12 post op depending on your healing... The important thing is that you shouldn't be in ketosis, there's nothing to say you can't do a low calorie programme pre op... ie 1200.
Take advice from the professionals, her CDC may require a signature to confirm.
My surgeon only wanted 2 weeks before and 6 weeks after, but I only had my varicose veins done

Hey Broad, a bit off topic but how much weight did your friend loose? How long ago? And is she getting a private or NHS TT?

Really interested as its something I will have to get done when I get to goal, without question.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you need to stop a VLCD two weeks before an op and you can't go back to it until three months after an op.

Correct. My other question is what is her current BMI.

It could be she could SS for three weeks then 790 then move up to 1000 and 1200.

If her BMI is 25 or less she must start and 1000 and be on 1200 2 weeks prior to surgery.

Three months is the normal period before resuming SS, however, after 6 week this can be checked out the our medical officer as each case differs slightly.

Linda

Back