Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

I do all of my own but purely because it's cheaper. I do keep a jar in the changing bag for emergencies though xx

Any ones babies been on ranitidine? Just had it prescribed for brooke as gaviscon made no difference will start tomorrow fingers crossed it works. Any one had any success treating reflux with it c

Any ones babies been on ranitidine? Just had it prescribed for brooke as gaviscon made no difference will start tomorrow fingers crossed it works. Any one had any success treating reflux with it c

Yes we were and found it helped a lot compared to gaviscon. Good luck x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Hi girls hope you are all well. Thought I'd pop in and let you know that Bella is walking! Took her first steps on New Year's Eve but was then poorly and didn't really do it again but yesterday she just took off! Very proud mummy here :-D <3 xx

Hi girls hope you are all well. Thought I'd pop in and let you know that Bella is walking! Took her first steps on New Year's Eve but was then poorly and didn't really do it again but yesterday she just took off! Very proud mummy here :-D <3 xx

Yay! Go Bella!! That's fab. It's so strange seeing them walk, isn't it. Even now after two months I still find it odd that Cole can actually walk xx

Aww how exciting! Well done Bella :)

Thomas has taken a few steps but won't go beyond that yet!

Thanks girls :)

Danni that's exactly how Bella was until yesterday, you'll be chasing him around in no time ;) xx

Hi girls, just looking for some advice. I'm 24+2 today and have been looking buying the Angelsounds baby fetal heart monitor (doppler) I'm on the fence about getting one as I'm scared it'll make me very paranoid if I don't hear anything as I'm a worrier!! have any of you tried it? Or am I being silly?! Xx

Hello! Congratulations!

Speaking as a midwife I would say we advise against buying them, partly for the reason that you've said but also because you don't know what you're listening for (cord/placenta/your pulse can all make you think you have heard baby's heartbeat). The best way of ensuring baby is ok is to monitor the pattern of movements and if you're concerned go and get seen.

As a mummy, I can totally understand why you want to have one so you can listen in and hear what's going on! I know some of the others on here have got and used their dopplers fine.

So what I would say in conclusion is get one if you really really want to. But. If you're ever concerned about baby (rather than just having a listen because you fancy it) DONT listen with the Doppler just ring your midwife/triage/maternity assessment unit/whoever you've been told to ring, and get checked out.
If you listen with the Doppler and think you've heard the heartbeat that doesn't mean all is well and can give you false reassurance.

Hello! Congratulations!

Speaking as a midwife I would say we advise against buying them, partly for the reason that you've said but also because you don't know what you're listening for (cord/placenta/your pulse can all make you think you have heard baby's heartbeat). The best way of ensuring baby is ok is to monitor the pattern of movements and if you're concerned go and get seen.

As a mummy, I can totally understand why you want to have one so you can listen in and hear what's going on! I know some of the others on here have got and used their dopplers fine.

So what I would say in conclusion is get one if you really really want to. But. If you're ever concerned about baby (rather than just having a listen because you fancy it) DONT listen with the Doppler just ring your midwife/triage/maternity assessment unit/whoever you've been told to ring, and get checked out.
If you listen with the Doppler and think you've heard the heartbeat that doesn't mean all is well and can give you false reassurance.

Ahh thanks for this! :)
I think I'll wait for a while first before getting one, don't want to send myself crazy!

Ahh thanks for this! :) I think I'll wait for a while first before getting one, don't want to send myself crazy!

Congratulations on your pregnancy :D

I second what Susie said. I didn't get one when I was pregnant. A few of the girls on here did though and were fine with them. My reason was a girl my sister knew had one. She hadn't felt baby for a few hours so listened and heard the heartbeat so was reassured. Sadly didn't go get checked out and baby didn't make it :'( not trying to scare or upset anyone, I just think it's important, like Susie says, to monitor baby's movement and not rely on the Doppler. Xx

Ahh thanks for this! :)
I think I'll wait for a while first before getting one, don't want to send myself crazy!

I completely agree with Susie and Sarah, i didn't get one while pregnant as i knew i'd panic if i couldn't find the HB, and as Susie says it's a great tool to hear your baby but to the untrained ear you wouldn't necessarily be able to pick up on any problems and may be falsely reassured by hearing what you think is the HB when it could be something else. I also felt that not being able to listen in gave me something to look forward to when i had a MW appointment :)

I'm currently 20 wks and had planned to buy one, but after some thought, have decided against it. I've been feeling flutters for the past 2 weeks or so, and feel reassured enough by feeling movement. I would totally freak out if I couldn't find the heartbeat, and as others have said, have heard too many stories about people over relying on it and not getting checked out when they should. It's a very personal decision though, so you have to do what's right for you :)

Those of you with video monitors where you can have the screen on or off, do you leave the screen on and lit up when you're in bed or turn it off and just have the sound on?

Those of you with video monitors where you can have the screen on or off, do you leave the screen on and lit up when you're in bed or turn it off and just have the sound on?

We have it all on all night. If I wake I like to have a look at oliver for reassurance on the screen x

We have it all on all night. If I wake I like to have a look at oliver for reassurance on the screen x Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

I'm the same. Our screen is really bright and I can't figure out if there's a way to turn it down. I was telling Lindsay and she said she would turn Zac's screen off during the night once he got to Cole's age. Cole is so fidgety though, I'd be turning it back on every two minutes every time he shuffles or moans x

I've left ours on but it's really bright so I turn it away slightly. You can turn it down though on the settings xx

My screen stays off unless there's movement r sound. I wouldn't sleep if the was light on x

Back