Pregnancy and Baby Advice Thread: From Conception to Birth, and Beyond!

Hey

If i order maternity tops do i order the size i was or bigger? !

I ordered in my normal size. Most of my mat clothes were from New Look and I found the sizing quite generous!

I know this has been mentioned on one of our diaries but I'm really struggling with Bella and Charles's relationship. She just doesn't want him to do anything for her.. If he feeds or changes her it usually ends in her crying and it's getting him and me really down. She wakes Up for a feed around 6am and she is usually pretty chilled out, he Got up to fed her and she ends up screaming with him bringing her back to me and i have to try to settle her and try to reassure him that she doesn't hate him :(
She is 12 weeks old tmrw and I'm just hoping that it will change as she gets older.
When she's in a good mood he will get some lovely smiles from her but he does have to work a lot harder for them than I do.
Just don't know what to do for the best...

I know this has been mentioned on one of our diaries but I'm really struggling with Bella and Charles's relationship. She just doesn't want him to do anything for her.. If he feeds or changes her it usually ends in her crying and it's getting him and me really down. She wakes Up for a feed around 6am and she is usually pretty chilled out, he Got up to fed her and she ends up screaming with him bringing her back to me and i have to try to settle her and try to reassure him that she doesn't hate him :( She is 12 weeks old tmrw and I'm just hoping that it will change as she gets older. When she's in a good mood he will get some lovely smiles from her but he does have to work a lot harder for them than I do. Just don't know what to do for the best...

We have had exactly the same with Oliver and Paul. As you know Oliver is one day you get than Bella. It's really tough for Paul as well. I'm pushing him to spend as much time as possible with him. Talk to him lots so he recognises his voice, play and cuddle him so he recognises his touch and just hope over time Oliver feels just as comfy with his dad. As someone said to me it's understandable that Oliver is closest to me. He has been in my tummy for 9 months, hearing my heart beat, spends every day now with me, no wonder it's my voice and touch which is comforting for him. I don't think there is an overnight solution but I'm hoping over time things improve. Until then just keep reassuring OH. Xxxx

It's a shame isn't it but it does happen quite a bit I think.
We found it helped if Benn didn't wear/use strong smelling deodorant and he used to give/have skin to skin with her sometimes in the morning after she had been fed and was chilled and dozy. If she wouldn't settle we used to pop a worn pj top of mine over his shoulder so she could smell me and that seemed to help.
I did make a point of trying not to intervene at the first sign of bother though-I know it's hard but he needed to know he could cope and she needed to learn he could do it! And I also used to pop out to the supermarket and do bits and bobs and leave her at home with him and that helped too. I never left her for long, an hr here or there, but after a while, he said he felt more confident when I wasn't there as I wasn't watching and she seemed to be happier as well...almost as if she knew I wasn't there and that was ok cos she had someone else to look after her.
It did generally get better over time though. Xx

Hey

If i order maternity tops do i order the size i was or bigger? !
I usually ordered my normal size as I too found them very generous!
In fact, I've got mat clothes from New Look, Mothercare, Peacocks and H&M and I've not had to go up in sizes at all!
Mothercare is a bit pricey but they do some lovely stuff, worth a look for a special occasion or when there is a sale :)

I usually ordered my normal size as I too found them very generous! In fact, I've got mat clothes from New Look, Mothercare, Peacocks and H&M and I've not had to go up in sizes at all! Mothercare is a bit pricey but they do some lovely stuff, worth a look for a special occasion or when there is a sale :)

Yep, definitely order your pre-preg size. I found maternity wear to be huge. Is it shameful that I'm still wearing a lot of mine? *hides* ;)

With your situation with Charles Nelly, it's hard but I think it will improve a lot. It took Colin ages to be comfortable with Seth, I know I've told you before how tough he found it early on. Even now Seth still looks to me if he's upset but if I'm not there he's relaxed with Colin now whereas in the early days he'd just cry if I wasn't there and Colin would have a crappy time, further knocking his confidence. It took them having a couple of good experiences together on their own to get him more confident, plus Seth getting older and more responsive. Now he smiles and giggles and looks for us both when he hears our voices it's been much easier for Colin and him to bond.

I think it's just wired into babies to look to their mums, it must be tough for the menfolk. xxx

It's really hard but if daddy's try to relax with baby, it's easier as baby seems to pick up on their nervousness. Jonathan was the very same with Éabha too but lately he's much more confident n I find now, I'm actually going to him when I can't calm her!!! Actually really tough being mammy n not being able to calm ur baby. Mammys job is to be able make everything right in her baby's world!!! So I know exactly how they are feeling xx

Yep, definitely order your pre-preg size. I found maternity wear to be huge. Is it shameful that I'm still wearing a lot of mine? *hides* ;)
Not at all! I can imagine I'm still going to be wearing a lot of mine for a while- my mat jeans are so incredibly comfy, I've got 4 pairs and I live in them!!
Also on the size front- I had to go DOWN a size in my work trousers as they were so generous :)

Not at all! I can imagine I'm still going to be wearing a lot of mine for a while- my mat jeans are so incredibly comfy, I've got 4 pairs and I live in them!! Also on the size front- I had to go DOWN a size in my work trousers as they were so generous :)

Just don't try wearing under bump ones after baby is here. I made that mistake and my post baby belly wasn't looking it's best ;) over bump ones are brilliant for after though.

Just don't try wearing under bump ones after baby is here. I made that mistake and my post baby belly wasn't looking it's best ;) over bump ones are brilliant for after though.
I've only got over the bump ones so that's good to know :)

Ah that's good then. The under bump ones do nothing for jelly bellies!! :)
I tried some on when getting my mat jeans and they weren't at all comfy! In fact I remember thinking I'd be trying to pull them over my bump all the time, which is annoying so I didn't bother!

Thanks for your replies

Got some work pants today and wish i had found them sooner so comfy ! Tried a top on to but bump not hard enough yet so looked a bit kelly belly so went for a few looser tops for the min.

New look near me doesn't do maternity so good to know what size now so i can order , been looking on ebay to! X

Thanks for your replies

Got some work pants today and wish i had found them sooner so comfy ! Tried a top on to but bump not hard enough yet so looked a bit kelly belly so went for a few looser tops for the min.

New look near me doesn't do maternity so good to know what size now so i can order , been looking on ebay to! X

They do it online, there isn't one near me either (that stocks much anyway) which I found odd for Birmingham! But I got a lot of new look stuff from them but got it delivered :)

I had the same problem with New Look, but then I found that the one in Cambridge sells maternity and they had a sale on- I was buying t shirts for £2 each!!!

I had the same problem with New Look, but then I found that the one in Cambridge sells maternity and they had a sale on- I was buying t shirts for £2 each!!!

Do you live in or near Cambridge Dougal? x

Back