Pregnancy and Slimming World

Hello, I am new here, my name is Crystal and I am 26. Currently 10 weeks pregnant by size of baby nearly 13 by dates (it's complicated lol). I currently have two boys Lukas who is 9 in August and Logan who is 2 in August. Also have 3 angel babies Gaiebraille and Ambrose (miscarriages) and Leo who died at 3 months old. Been advised by consultant to start slimming world due to high BMI, thought this seemed like a good place to get some help and support. Hugs Crystal x

hi Crystal and welcome:wavey:

Well made a right show of myself at work today! Bloody hormones! All because some bloke on the phone couldn't hear me and i had to shout so all control room could hear me( think Peter Kay and his 'can you hear me now' voice).........normally would have had a laugh about it but for some reason decided to cry my eyes out??? WTF? Lucky for me the manager on today is pregnant and the girl that was shadowing me yep also pregnant, completely mad since its mostly men!! Think its catching ;)
xx

hello ladies.. hope your all ok and doing well... im a very happy girl today picked kadir up at the airport last night. so happy to have him home. he waited on me all day i didnt have to do a thing.. feeling pretty sick now but hoping it will pass soon so i can go to bed :) xxx

i also watched the breastfeeding doc with cherry healey - i really like her and watched when they followed her pregnancy and birth.

however i watched, and i REALLY want to BF, and i ended up in tears.. i already feel like its a massive mountain to climb and that it'l be hidiously painful now. . its completley freaked me out. im finding it very hard to visualise me BFing now.

did any of you watch misbehaving mothers? there was a girl called carrie on there and she made me so angry! and im sure her and her bf weres stoned when the midwife came round second time, anybody see it? grrr made me so cross! xxx

Last edited:
did any of you watch misbehaving mothers? there was a girl called carrie on there and she made me so angry! and im sure her and her bf weres toned when the midwife came round second time, anybody see it? grrr made me so cross! xxx

I Sky plussed it, so will watch it on the weekend.

I watched the breastfeeding programme and although I'm planning on breastfeeding as long as I can (although not as long as the one lady on there :eek:), especially as I'm not going back to work, I think seeing all the challenges on the programme made me understand that I'm not a bad mother if I do have to stop, which is tricky with all the pressure which is around to breastfeed.
Lexie I'm the same as you - I'm too tight to pay for formula, will always go for a free option if there's one available ;)

Oh and my boobies are getting ready for sure, as well as growing massively, they are now **ahem** leaking a bit at night, have been for the last couple of weeks. Surprised me a bit as didn't expect that to happen until much later!

quick question to all you mums to be are you still losing weight whilst pregnant whilst following the plan and those who have had the baby how much weight did you or didnt you gain:confused:

My boobs are huge but not leaking too much, only if manipulated when I'm changing my piercings (which will have to come out for BF'ing)

Fern don't panic, it was one woman's experience was a bit painful, the other woman breastfed for a year. There's loads of support available and no will judge you for what is a very personal decision. Much as I'm all "yay Breastmilk" and will hope to donate to the premature ICU if I have a good enough supply going, I don't think bottle feeders are "bad mothers". Sometimes its a conscious choice, sometimes circumstances get in the way. As long as baby is happy, healthy and gaining weight its not really anyone else's business. And with all that in mind, my Bf'ing might go t*ts up, and I'll have no option but to try formula.

Natasha - I keep a very loose eye on my weight but I'm not following plan to the letter, more the basic principles of it. So far at 29 weeks I've gained 1stone and 3 lbs. I have gained as you should only lose weight during pregnancy under close supervision of midwife and doctor, even though I was overweight to start with.

Re Misbehaving mothers, I found last nights was quite good as the women seemed to listen to the messages. The girls "best friend" who was encouraging her to smoke needed a slap though. Not because it wasn't a decision I agree with, more because you could see Carrie was struggling and her friend was really just being selfish looking for a smoking buddy.

Junk food babies that was on the other night was quite jaw dropping too, but I really shouldn't be surprised given some of the things I've seen irl.

Lexie_dog said:
My boobs are huge but not leaking too much, only if manipulated when I'm changing my piercings (which will have to come out for BF'ing)

Fern don't panic, it was one woman's experience was a bit painful, the other woman breastfed for a year. There's loads of support available and no will judge you for what is a very personal decision. Much as I'm all "yay Breastmilk" and will hope to donate to the premature ICU if I have a good enough supply going, I don't think bottle feeders are "bad mothers". Sometimes its a conscious choice, sometimes circumstances get in the way. As long as baby is happy, healthy and gaining weight its not really anyone else's business. And with all that in mind, my Bf'ing might go t*ts up, and I'll have no option but to try formula.

Natasha - I keep a very loose eye on my weight but I'm not following plan to the letter, more the basic principles of it. So far at 29 weeks I've gained 1stone and 3 lbs. I have gained as you should only lose weight during pregnancy under close supervision of midwife and doctor, even though I was overweight to start with.

Re Misbehaving mothers, I found last nights was quite good as the women seemed to listen to the messages. The girls "best friend" who was encouraging her to smoke needed a slap though. Not because it wasn't a decision I agree with, more because you could see Carrie was struggling and her friend was really just being selfish looking for a smoking buddy.

Junk food babies that was on the other night was quite jaw dropping too, but I really shouldn't be surprised given some of the things I've seen irl.

I thought if you had piercings you couldn't breast feed?

FernXx said:
i also watched the breastfeeding doc with cherry healey - i really like her and watched when they followed her pregnancy and birth.

however i watched, and i REALLY want to BF, and i ended up in tears.. i already feel like its a massive mountain to climb and that it'l be hidiously painful now. . its completley freaked me out. im finding it very hard to visualise me BFing now.

I won't lie breastfeeding isn't easy at first. It may well be uncomfortable as your nipples need to harden up and baby has to learn to latch on.

Like everything every mum and baby is different. Some mum/baby will find it really easy to do, whilst others may find it difficult.

The pain is cos the baby isn't suckling on the nipple properly. Once baby and you get the right position and they know how to latch on any discomfort subsides.

For me I found I felt guilty that I couldn't breastfeed until a support work assured me that its not easy for everyone and formula is good for the baby too.

The one thing with the program that did annoy me, was that they didn't cover the options of expressing and feeding baby with a bottle. I expressed as.long as it was possible then moved to formula. I gave my little girl all the goodness from.breast milk but through a bottle.

I think everyone should try breastfeeding but not feel guilty if it doesn't work out for either mum or baby

natasha1974 said:
quick question to all you mums to be are you still losing weight whilst pregnant whilst following the plan and those who have had the baby how much weight did you or didnt you gain:confused:

Hi Natasha, I've been doing SW since 16-18 weeks I've not lost any weight but at 35 weeks I've only gained 10lbs. I accepted that I would gain but used SW to keep me on the healthy eating track and keep my weight gain to a minimum

I thought if you had piercings you couldn't breast feed?

Don't see why not, you have to take the jewellery out but it doesn't stop you producing milk.

I don't see what would make you think that?

yeah by the end of the programme it was good to see that they had changed, but she didnt seem to really care that much and kept refferring to it as "the flashing" ababy like it was funny! lol and her "friend " was ridiculous, just because she thought it was ok she was trying to get her to do it too, by mocking her. oh and by saying"i think its all bullshit". blatantly not bullshit as its been proved! lol anyway rant over, i apologise for rambling on! what channel was junk babies on? would be interested to see that :) xxxx

Hi all

Lexi as long as you take them out just before baby is born there shouldn't be a problem - they heal up very quickly, i took mine out when i decided ttc, was end of an era boohoo.......still have my tongue piercing in though, no need to get rid of that lol!

Stumbled across this blog earlier....got some great tips/idea on saving money before and after baby Blog | Baby Budgeting

Try not to stress about breastfeeding. It's different for everyone - personally with my last one I found that the 1st couple of weeks were ok once we got the latch right, but that after that it was painful up until about week 8 - then things seemed to just 'click' for me and baby and it became so much easier for us.
Like others have said though I was determined to breastfeed due to not having good access to formula and not wanting to pay out for formula unless I really needed too. That and I was being lazy with not wanting to steralise and make up bottles.
But everyone is different and everyone has different opinions.
Just to give another point of view. When I was in hospital there was a friend in at the same time - she was breastfeeding at the start but more often than not would end up in tears, the midwives were helping her but she just did not enjoy it at all. I advised her that if she wasn't happy baby would pick up on it and wouldn't be happy, she needed to make a decision as she was really only doing it because her hubby wanted her to. I told her it's not him who was having to do it and if she wanted to formula feed then she should. She did change and was so much happier for it.

But don't stress about it - if you want to give it a shot then try it out - if you feel it's not for you then fair enough. At the end of the day so long as there is a happy mummy and a happy baby it doesn't matter what way baby is fed, it's only one year out of a lifetime for your child and either way they won't remember :)

Have not stopped crying and now been sick n have cramps.

Other halfs boss is being a nightmare... To put it politely.... And has been nasty to him bout things cuz he asked to go our first midwife appointment with me. He even said he will take it unpaid or work it back or as annual leave she text him sayin "tough luck no" she's so selfish! I put it down to being a lesbian who is jelous we are having a naturaly conceived baby. I hate her.... She is tainting this for me!!! I really want to share this with jay!! I had to do everything alone in my first pregnancy with my ex. And I want to do this with jay this time. I wanna enjoy and absorb every moment! Not like last time where I didn't enjoy it till 30 weeks!!!! :,( can't stop crying this has really Hurt me. But also as I'm jelous as he went with his ex to all appointments.... Now with me he can't! I don't feel "special" enough I feel like ya kno "second and unimportant" and I know it's not him as he is lovely n been so caring and tried but I just feel that way :,(

Start weight: 14s 7lb Current weight: 13s 10lb loss: 11lb

My friend had both done and her midwife told her she couldn't breast feed because of it ?

Mines are both done and there's no reason as to why they stop you breastfeeding. As long as you take the jewellery out prefeeding so baby doesn't choke on the jewellery. I'm suprised your friends midwife gave her such poor information. Apparently make you more prone to leaks but hey ho, if that's the least of my worries then I'm laughing. In fact google breastfeeding and nipple piercings and there's nothing to say you can't feed as long as you remove the jewellery.

JoJo I'm keeping them in as long as possible, I've had them done since I was 17 so I don't anticipate they will close up too much. Genital piercings will have to come out before delivery and be reinserted after everythings a bit less raw I suppose.

The one thing with the program that did annoy me, was that they didn't cover the options of expressing and feeding baby with a bottle. I expressed as.long as it was possible then moved to formula. I gave my little girl all the goodness from.breast milk but through a bottle.

Cheeky I'm so glad you mentioned this as it's how i'm planning on feeding my baby this time around. Yep sure its gonna be double the work expressing and bottle feeding, but it works around me and my family.
I formula fed my first two as i didn't want to breastfeed but never knew about pumping. It really bugs me that exclusive pumping is never giving as an option in the UK rather health care providers would just rather mums went on to formula, and even tell women that its impossible to keep up your supply (which is a load of rubbish). I'm training to be a midwife at the moment and it's definetly an option i will suggest to mums when i qualify.

Back