Primal Eating and Intermittent Fasting - Phoenyx's Experiment of One...

Phoenyx said:
Thank you v much! I just go with the flow on fasting at the moment. If I'm not hungry in the am I don't eat. I'm ravenous this morning so doing a full fry up!

I guess it's just listening to your body ....I'll have been on the primal way a week tomorrow so still learning x

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Currently sitting in cinema. Felt cr*ppy and bubbly this morning, but feeling better now. In cinema to watch ice age 4 with DDs. I promised myself popcorn if I could get through this morning without launching myself into cr*p food, but actually, now I feel much better, ive got water, strawberries and nuts to nibble on.

I'm trying to identify what caused me to nearly derail this morning. I've come up with the things I did differently:

I got up much later
I ate a larger than usual breakfast
I ate more dark choc last night than I usually do
I had an upset stomach at lunchtime today, cramps etc (don't want to be too specific but I had to find a loo quickly...) right after I drank a large americano with cream. Am I going to have to cut out cream or was it just a catalyst for what was going on already?

Anyway, doesn't matter, I'm just noting this down in case it happens again to see if I can identify what's causing it...

I posted this elsewhere but am adding it here for reference

The 3500 cal myth has been debunked, cals in does not equal cals out, lots of reasons which tend to depend on circumstances, eg if you're dieting, it assumes you'll continue to burn cals at same rate, which is v unlikely as the body will try and expend less cals. It also depends on the macronutrients content of food eg some calories are stored far more effectively than others - protein for example, unless you're on a high protein diet, almost all your protein intake will go to growth and repair. Hormones play a major role, and considerably vary from person to person. Also it assumes we can accurately work out calorie content of food (which is worked out by burning stuff in a lab, not the ideal model for a human body), that we burn it all, efficiently, and that we can accurately work out our basal metabolic rate (which is more accurate, but only if you have it checked in a lab).

Thats not to say calories don't have their place, but assuming the level of accuracy that is sometimes given (you know, cut out one digestive biscuit and you'll lose a stone in a year) is nuts!

I'll stop my waffling now, but incase you want more info
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/1lb-does-not-equal-3500-calories

Hi Phoenyx, Hope your dodgy tummy has settled down.

What did you think to Ice Age 4. My kids are getting a bit old for it now, but I may drag them along as I've liked the previous Ice Ages.

Im confused by all the calories stuff. I've read Zoe Harcombes book and she along with many others I've read say that calories don't matter or don't matter much. But that seems to be based on people who don't overeat, who automatically stop when they've had enough. Historically I've been pretty rubbish at that. I'd say I'm better now as I eat food that is filling and doesn't trigger cravings in me, but I'm not sure I trust myself sufficiently to completely ignore calories. What's your view?

Phoenyx said:
I'm still very much learning!

Yeah suppose we are all constantly learning xxx

Rhyannasmum said:
Hi Phoenyx, Hope your dodgy tummy has settled down.

What did you think to Ice Age 4. My kids are getting a bit old for it now, but I may drag them along as I've liked the previous Ice Ages.

Im confused by all the calories stuff. I've read Zoe Harcombes book and she along with many others I've read say that calories don't matter or don't matter much. But that seems to be based on people who don't overeat, who automatically stop when they've had enough. Historically I've been pretty rubbish at that. I'd say I'm better now as I eat food that is filling and doesn't trigger cravings in me, but I'm not sure I trust myself sufficiently to completely ignore calories. What's your view?

Ice age 4 - good, but not as good as the earlier ones. First time I've really liked 3d tho! Go anyway, it's nice light relief!

Calories - personally, I think they do matter, but I think there's a very wide margin of error. So yes, if you overeat by a few thousand calories every day and don't expend more I think you'll gain weight. But a few hundred of the right stuff I don't think is important. I've noticed that since being on paleo I am a lot more fidgety if I've eaten, and I get up and down more - I caught myself sprinting up the corridor at work just for the sake of it! I think, if you're eating properly, your body just burns it off, heat, additional movement etc. unless you are seriously, seriously overeating.

However, if some people (like me) eat sugar, your body is almost forced to store it. Or if you are on a diet or over exercising, or hormonally imbalanced (eg chronic stress) your body might store it just in case.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful!

Today

9am sausages (black farmer), 1 rasher free range back bacon, 3 fried tomatoes, lots of fried mushrooms, 2 fried eggs, small coffee and cream

1pm americano & cream

4pm strawberries & nuts in cinema

9pm lamb & vegetable rogan josh

Exercise
7pm sprints 20 seconds x 9, light jog in between
20 three quarter push-ups, 2 x 30 second plank
(felt nauseous and tired after sprints so couldn't manage much in the way of resistance)

Feeling a bit out of sorts still :(

Just popping in to say hope you're feeling better today x

gettingfit said:
I had some yoghurt last week for the first time in ages and it gave me an upset stomach.Like you I had to find a toilet quickly.Took a couple of days for my stomach to settle down.

I want to see Ice Age 4 but will wait until it's out on dvd.Cinema nowadays are so expensive.I have My week with Marilyn to watch later.

Hope your feeling Ok today?

Sun is shining so I will be out walking today and catching up with my Paleo reading..:)

Have a good Sunday.

Mmm I love cream in my coffee but get the feeling I'm going to have to keep an eye on its effect on me.

Sound like a nice day. I'm taking the girls to a party, I'll enjoy catching up with some old friends there.

Don't know what everyone's thoughts on planned cheat meals are, but found an interesting blog article on it. At the moment, I'm not planning cheats, but j know that if I really want something, I'll let myself have it. Last time I did that though, I ended up bingeing the rest of the day on high carbs. I'm wondering whether planning a cheat meal with a time limit might help avoid this. They're suggesting every 6-8 weeks

http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.co.uk/2005/06/who-says-you-cant-splurge-on-low-carb.html?m=1

Really interesting idea on cheat meals/splurges. I definitely think one meal is doable - but do think it's worth incorporating as part of the n=1 experiment. Examples of how i try to do this mindfully:
A few months ago i tested a pizza express pizza (first for a year). First of all - wasn't as good as i remember, then stomach ache, then starving for two days and then dreadful skin breakout - will i bother again - no thanks!
Then wanted to test white rice - so had sushi (my previous favourite). Again tasted ok instead of great - filled up fast, tummy ache and 2/3 days of loo problems - again will stick to sashimi next time.
Recently had an eton mess at friends with some sugar in mereinge - no real issues except being starving for 2 days!
Tasted friends creme brulee after dinner the other night and was completely unable to stop. Interesting to find an unexpected trigger food!

So I guess that the way i see it - really decide what i want to try, see what happens and incorporate info into rest of life:D

So much fun listening to our bodies and learning to hear what they say;)
Have a great sunday
X

Kat1e said:
Really interesting idea on cheat meals/splurges. I definitely think one meal is doable - but do think it's worth incorporating as part of the n=1 experiment. Examples of how i try to do this mindfully:
A few months ago i tested a pizza express pizza (first for a year). First of all - wasn't as good as i remember, then stomach ache, then starving for two days and then dreadful skin breakout - will i bother again - no thanks!
Then wanted to test white rice - so had sushi (my previous favourite). Again tasted ok instead of great - filled up fast, tummy ache and 2/3 days of loo problems - again will stick to sashimi next time.
Recently had an eton mess at friends with some sugar in mereinge - no real issues except being starving for 2 days!
Tasted friends creme brulee after dinner the other night and was completely unable to stop. Interesting to find an unexpected trigger food!

So I guess that the way i see it - really decide what i want to try, see what happens and incorporate info into rest of life:D

So much fun listening to our bodies and learning to hear what they say;)
Have a great sunday
X

I guess I'll do more playing when I get to maintenance, like you! So can't wait for that to happen!

Bugger bugger bugger! I think it's the cream. Or to be more specific, certain types or quantities of cream.

I have cream in coffee every day. A small glug of organic single cream, and I don't have any issues with it (or not that I've noticed). I tend to have two a day, 9am and 11am when I'm at work. Occasionally I'll also have cream (same type) with strawberries.

So today, same as yesterday, I treated myself to an americano with cream from costa, but only got about quarter of the way through before feeling nauseous. I binned the rest. About 1/16th of the cup size was cream, I'd hazard a guess at about 100ml cream. So more than I'd usually use but not a mad amount. I only drank 1/4 of it anyway.

So now I need to figure out whether they use a particular type of cream, or whether I need to completely cut dairy. Poo.

Phoenyx said:
Bugger bugger bugger! I think it's the cream. Or to be more specific, certain types or quantities of cream.

I have cream in coffee every day. A small glug of organic single cream, and I don't have any issues with it (or not that I've noticed). I tend to have two a day, 9am and 11am when I'm at work. Occasionally I'll also have cream (same type) with strawberries.

So today, same as yesterday, I treated myself to an americano with cream from costa, but only got about quarter of the way through before feeling nauseous. I binned the rest. About 1/16th of the cup size was cream, I'd hazard a guess at about 100ml cream. So more than I'd usually use but not a mad amount. I only drank 1/4 of it anyway.

So now I need to figure out whether they use a particular type of cream, or whether I need to completely cut dairy. Poo.

O no :(:( I feel your pain I'm trying to cut my beloved yoghurts down ....maybe they use bad quality cream in costa and not the organic your body is used to x try and just have it when your in control of the type used x

So I nipped into costa and asked - they use whipping cream not single cream.

I googled whipping cream & nausea and got back a website on innapropriate uses of whipping cream...and believe me, some were inappropriate!

More research after I've collected the kids, but in the meantime ive settles on an americano with a dash of soya milk. Not ideal but hey ho.

Phoenyx said:
So I nipped into costa and asked - they use whipping cream not single cream.

I googled whipping cream & nausea and got back a website on innapropriate uses of whipping cream...and believe me, some were inappropriate!
/QUOTE]

LoL ;)

Back