Primal Eating and Intermittent Fasting - Phoenyx's Experiment of One...

Hey Phoenyx ...

I was interested in your UDDD, I was looking into IF, but not sure I could do it.. well not until my hunger sorts itself out, + I exercise pretty much every day so I'm not 100% on exercising on a completely empty stomach.. but the days where you just have coffee and cream, do you think it makes a lot of difference to your weightloss?

Dawnejoy said:
I need to avoid bingeing as that's all I seem to be doing at the moment so what should I be doing to avoid a binge-fest?????

I wish I could tell you! I have binged every Sunday for the last three weeks. I know what it's like so I feel for you :( this week was worse because it took me 2 days to get back on track.

I'm looking into having a cheat day. The way I see it is if I'm going to eat food that's not allowed, I might as well enjoy it rather than feeling guilty and pants! I need to do more research on this, then I'm going to set up some ground rules for a cheat Sunday. Maybe then my need for a pig out will subside.

One thing I'm not going to do, and I don't think you should either, is blame myself. I certainly don't choose to binge (I know some people will argue with this, but it's more like a compulsion), and im not going to beat mysrlf up about it. I think it's a physiological or psychological need for something. I need to figure out what that is and try and satisfy it in a non destructive way.

So I'll post again when I've done more research on cheat days and know what im doing next. Keep going, dawn. I think you're an inspiration and it really helps me to know I'm not the only one going through this.

I suffer from binge eating disorder & fins avoiding carbs reduces my urges somewhat, but not totally. I know one tool people use is a cheat day every 4 weeks or so where they eat what they want until full (not an authorised binge) then back on the wagon the day after. I have found the brain over binge book (see website of same name) really helpful. It is really enlightening.

DeeCe said:
Hey Phoenyx ...

I was interested in your UDDD, I was looking into IF, but not sure I could do it.. well not until my hunger sorts itself out, + I exercise pretty much every day so I'm not 100% on exercising on a completely empty stomach.. but the days where you just have coffee and cream, do you think it makes a lot of difference to your weightloss?

Hi! To be honest, it depends on what I eat the rest of the week! But yes, to me it means I can afford to exercise less for the same benefits. Having just upped my exercise though, I won't be fasting for a whole day for a while, but I definitely won't be subscibing to five meals a day either! 2-3 meals and no snacks suits me well. If I were you, I would play it by ear. Eat when youre hungry, try skipping the odd meal etc.

I've been struggling a bit the last few weeks and I'm sure it's because I'm trying to push myself too hard - increased exercise, fasting etc. I found my diet easier to control when I was busy at work (am a teacher so on hols at the mo) party because of the routine and partly because I didn't have time to mess around / increase exercise/ over focus on it!!!

AnnieAnnie said:
I suffer from binge eating disorder & fins avoiding carbs reduces my urges somewhat, but not totally. I know one tool people use is a cheat day every 4 weeks or so where they eat what they want until full (not an authorised binge) then back on the wagon the day after. I have found the brain over binge book (see website of same name) really helpful. It is really enlightening.

Thank you. I'll add that to my research list :) how low do you go with carbs, if you don't mind me asking?

No of course I don't mind :) I try & eat Atkins style as I'm not a big fruit eater. I'm veggie so higher than meat eaters, probably about 30g a day. I got some good advice from a long time veggie low carber on there who'd lost ten stone on Atkins & said she was ok up to about 50g carbs. I know it's not just carbs that effects me as I can successfully do vlcds & would almost prefer to be able to do that & not eat again & they are relatively high carb. I think ketosis just helps. Sorry for the waffle!

Hi Phoenyx, it's hard isn't it getting back on track after a binge and think your idea of "allowing" yourself to go off plan maybe a good idea. I've been trying to fast but actually think I've gone over the 500 calls per day, but have had only one meal on the fasting days, usually lunch and will see what the scales say on Saturday.

Found this all very interesting P i too binge so
I downloaded the book recomended to you ....'brain over binge' last night ....and wow cant recommend it enough half way through and it makes so much sense completely worth the £5.99 x

Glad it's helping Nicola, I hated counselling & it made me feel like I was a disaster & had to live in a stress free bubble. It's a relief to make the issue so simple, don't look for the deep-rooted reasons, just deal with the thoughts. Good luck!

I'm off to find that book now. But in the meantime, here's my plan of action:

1. Low carb (primal eating)
2. Fasting days (one meal only) twice a week, mon & thurs
3. All other days to have 3 meals and optional snack. Aim to eat 30g protein within an hour of waking - supposed to be v good for beating cravings
4. Exercise - insanity dvd or running all days except fasting days, can be preceded by a banana or followed by a protein shake if intense
5. Sundays - high calorie day, Optional cheat meal but only after 2 low carb meals
6. Plan meals in advance - lack of convenient food / a plan is often a trigger for me!

I need to be ready to face and resist cravings this week but am feeling v positive :)

AnnieAnnie said:
Glad it's helping Nicola, I hated counselling & it made me feel like I was a disaster & had to live in a stress free bubble. It's a relief to make the issue so simple, don't look for the deep-rooted reasons, just deal with the thoughts. Good luck!

Exactly and good to know it can so
Easily be resolved by ignoring your animal brain !!! Made so much sense x

Phoenyx said:
I'm off to find that book now. But in the meantime, here's my plan of action:

1. Low carb (primal eating)
2. Fasting days (one meal only) twice a week, mon & thurs
3. All other days to have 3 meals and optional snack. Aim to eat 30g protein within an hour of waking - supposed to be v good for beating cravings
4. Exercise - insanity dvd or running all days except fasting days, can be preceded by a banana or followed by a protein shake if intense
5. Sundays - high calorie day, Optional cheat meal but only after 2 low carb meals
6. Plan meals in advance - lack of convenient food / a plan is often a trigger for me!

I need to be ready to face and resist cravings this week but am feeling v positive :)

Sounds like a fab plan and I'll go give your new diary a follow ...good luck hun and yeah definitely get the book x

Back