primal plum

Having a long couple of weeks, feeling a bit tired/run down but think I was fighting a cold off for awhile. Food has been on track but mainly because mr plum has been cooking! Don't know what I would do without him.

This weekend we've got stuck into the Primal Cravings cookbook and so far had cowboy hash (yum!), gingerbread muffins (double yum!), swedish meatloaf and strawberry waffles with country breakfast sausage. All really tasty and I like that instead of nut flours they use coconut and tapioca flours mainly (a little bit of potato flour too in a few things). Plus there are calorie counts in a table at the back.

I have been wanting to try plantains for awhile now and although none of the supermarkets seem to stock them around here, I've found an international supermarket in Exeter that does them. So will grab some during the week and give them a go, a lot of the paleo bloggers/authors seem to be into them now and some of the recipes look quite interesting!

Have to say I'm loving plantains, so far have used in breakfast hash and beef stirfry with mango.

Food this week has been ok, once again thanks to the marvellous mr plum, but exercise, stress levels and sleep have all been poor. It is amazing how much yoga helps with stress and sleep but I have been too tired to do what I should. My hay fever symptoms are under control thanks to my allergy reliever device but it still makes me a bit more tired than normal and work has been quite knackering. I think if I weren't sticking to primal eating I would be struggling even more though!

One new freezer staple is the chocolate chilli from Well Fed. Very yummy! It can be cooked in the slow cooker quite successfully although the recipe doesn't say so.

Got outside to do a little bit of gardening today which is nice and made a change from my usual zombie weekend state since starting my new job. :)

Savoury egg custards for breakfast, with mushrooms and bacon

'Antipasti' for lunch, ie random salady and cold meat bits. :D Made hearts of palm potato salad which I've not had in aaaages.

Dinner will be pesto zoodles with beef and olives. And maybe some plantain pancakes for pud!

I was thinking of getting the primal cravings cookbook, glad to see you've been enjoying the recipes! Plantains are delicious aren't they - we have the problem that my hubby loves them fried as a side dish when they are green so I struggle to keep him away from them till they are brown for tasty pancakes. Hope you have a better week.

Do plantains taste like banana or do they have their own taste?

I think they taste like potato when green skinned, sweet when ripe. Yummy both ways! Yesterday I made plantain nachos using green plantains and they were delicious. And crunchy :D.

I think they taste like potato when green skinned, sweet when ripe. Yummy both ways! Yesterday I made plantain nachos using green plantains and they were delicious. And crunchy :D.

Ooh they sound nice I used to love nachos!
Might have to give them a go x

lol think I might try get me some plantains and check out some recipes :)

Jow are you doing Plum? Xx

Ahh you're sweet to ask. :) It's been a hard few weeks, been quite busy/stressed at work and just at the edge of what my ME can cope with without putting me squarely in bed, and have had some difficulties managing the heat as well. Unfortunately with keeping on top of those two things everything else has fallen by the wayside a bit! :(

Still going with primal/paleo and yoga though (bless mr plum who does the cooking) and two weeks ago cut out most snacks and puddings (although I will still have a snack after work if I'm truly hungry and it's a few hours until dinner, but I stick to whole foods - no nakd bars, coconut balls, etc) in an attempt to shift a few pounds. Kind of a half-whole 30 (haha), I am mostly not having any dairy, definitely no sweets, alcohol or baking, but I do have a little bit of white rice still on occasion and am not kicking myself if I stray within my usual limits (ie NO GLUTEN) although the worst that's happened so far has been an impromptu picnic at which I ate some stuff with vegetable oil and small bit of sugar in. Too early to tell if it's working yet as for the first week I was unintentionally lower carb than planned (I can always tell as I start getting really dizzy for no reason) so I have lost a few pounds but am pretty sure it's water weight at this stage.

In addition to being very happy that our homegrown raspberries and strawberries are going like gangbusters now, two discoveries this week: avocado devilled eggs (make devilled eggs but with pureed avocado instead of mayo) and (yes, guilty confession, I did have a pudding yesterday but it wasn't too naughty a one and I needed the potassium ;) ) fried ripe plantains with coconut milk (fry slices of ripe plantain - yellow with black patches - in coconut oil over a reasonably high heat to go brown, serve with coconut milk drizzled on top). Super yummy and not that guilt-inducing! Oh, three discoveries! If you have leftover homemade pesto, mix 2 tbsp into 250g chicken mince, make burger patties and BBQ or grill. So simple but so yummy and the chicken stays nice and moist. You can also make the mixture into tiny meatballs to have cold with salad.

Ahh you're sweet to ask. :) It's been a hard few weeks, been quite busy/stressed at work and just at the edge of what my ME can cope with without putting me squarely in bed, and have had some difficulties managing the heat as well. Unfortunately with keeping on top of those two things everything else has fallen by the wayside a bit! :(

Still going with primal/paleo and yoga though (bless mr plum who does the cooking) and two weeks ago cut out most snacks and puddings (although I will still have a snack after work if I'm truly hungry and it's a few hours until dinner, but I stick to whole foods - no nakd bars, coconut balls, etc) in an attempt to shift a few pounds. Kind of a half-whole 30 (haha), I am mostly not having any dairy, definitely no sweets, alcohol or baking, but I do have a little bit of white rice still on occasion and am not kicking myself if I stray within my usual limits (ie NO GLUTEN) although the worst that's happened so far has been an impromptu picnic at which I ate some stuff with vegetable oil and small bit of sugar in. Too early to tell if it's working yet as for the first week I was unintentionally lower carb than planned (I can always tell as I start getting really dizzy for no reason) so I have lost a few pounds but am pretty sure it's water weight at this stage.

In addition to being very happy that our homegrown raspberries and strawberries are going like gangbusters now, two discoveries this week: avocado devilled eggs (make devilled eggs but with pureed avocado instead of mayo) and (yes, guilty confession, I did have a pudding yesterday but it wasn't too naughty a one and I needed the potassium ;) ) fried ripe plantains with coconut milk (fry slices of ripe plantain - yellow with black patches - in coconut oil over a reasonably high heat to go brown, serve with coconut milk drizzled on top). Super yummy and not that guilt-inducing! Oh, three discoveries! If you have leftover homemade pesto, mix 2 tbsp into 250g chicken mince, make burger patties and BBQ or grill. So simple but so yummy and the chicken stays nice and moist. You can also make the mixture into tiny meatballs to have cold with salad.

Sorry things have been tough but sounds like you are doing fab and I have a few new things to try now ;)
This heat is enough to get to anyone and I have been eating less due to it but probably not the best things as haven't wanted to cook!! Still been primal but too much fruit and nuts as they are easy go tos!
I agree that if you do stray off a little then as long as its gluten free its not too bad x I dont have rice but do have the odd white potato:rolleyes:
Hope you have a fab weekend x
(Im off to London to run 5miles round the olympic Park and stadium in this stupid heat!!)

Sorry things have been tough but sounds like you are doing fab and I have a few new things to try now ;)
This heat is enough to get to anyone and I have been eating less due to it but probably not the best things as haven't wanted to cook!! Still been primal but too much fruit and nuts as they are easy go tos!
I agree that if you do stray off a little then as long as its gluten free its not too bad x I dont have rice but do have the odd white potato:rolleyes:
Hope you have a fab weekend x
(Im off to London to run 5miles round the olympic Park and stadium in this stupid heat!!)

I'm sure London will be amazing and of course they will have lots of provisions in place to help people get through the heat. Mr plum (who does a lot of this sort of thing) recommends sweatproof sunscreen, a head sweatband (v trendy, haha, but apparently will stop you getting annoyed by drips into your eyes LOL), avail yourself of the water tables when you pass them but don't go mad, and slow down your pace just a little to beat the heat. (hope this isn't teaching you how to suck eggs, haha) Can't wait to hear how it went; have an excellent time!! x

(I always think it's pretty hard to put on weight when it's this hot as even if you're not eating your normal ratio of protein, fat etc, there's only so much damage you can do on things that don't need to be cooked!)

Crab cakes today from Nom Nom Paleo's website, yum yum yum! Going to be a little bit naughty tonight and make paleo pizza crust with garlic butter on it to have as a side with mushroom meatballs from the new Everyday Paleo Italian cookbook (which has MUCH better photography than the previous two, everything looks super appealing). For the most part I've been sticking to my sort-of Whole 30 this week, though, although I did allow two squares of dark chocolate today as PMT medication (in the interests of not murdering mr plum, who is actually very nice and wouldn't deserve it).

Crab cakes today from Nom Nom Paleo's website, yum yum yum! Going to be a little bit naughty tonight and make paleo pizza crust with garlic butter on it to have as a side with mushroom meatballs from the new Everyday Paleo Italian cookbook (which has MUCH better photography than the previous two, everything looks super appealing). For the most part I've been sticking to my sort-of Whole 30 this week, though, although I did allow two squares of dark chocolate today as PMT medication (in the interests of not murdering mr plum, who is actually very nice and wouldn't deserve it).

Wow your food sounds amazing! I have been getting in a rut of eating the same foods (Im still enjoying them but they say variety is the spice of life lol) so may have to invest in a few new books and have a search on the blogs again :D

I dont think anyone (especially Mr Plum!) would deny you 2 squares of chocolate ;)

Wow your food sounds amazing! I have been getting in a rut of eating the same foods (Im still enjoying them but they say variety is the spice of life lol) so may have to invest in a few new books and have a search on the blogs again :D

I dont think anyone (especially Mr Plum!) would deny you 2 squares of chocolate ;)

Haha no but the 2 tbsp cocoa powder made into hot cocoa and accompanying the gluten free McD's big breakfast (swap the muffin for some bacon) I had this morning to help a naughty hangover (spur of the moment girls night, oops) was maybe slightly over the top... Ho well, it's the first time I've really been out since Christmas. :)

I go through phases; sometimes I'm happy to eat the same stuff for a stretch and other times I suddenly want to try new stuff. Lots of good recipes out there to try! x

Had another night out on Friday and think I'm good until Christmas now, lol. Didn't drink overly much but also didn't eat as navigating the wetherspoons menu for gluten-free food is a bit of a pain.

Wanting to have a go at DIY coconut milk today; we did cashew milk awhile back and that was remarkably easy! Food has been pretty good still; I've settled on chocolate halva as an excellent PMT medication! Otherwise managing to avoid most treats although with the two nights out haven't seen any more loss on the scales yet. I think some of my jiggly bits are slightly less jiggly tho although that may be wishful thinking. :D

Feeling quite tired really but two late nights in as many weeks is a bit much for me at the mo. I know if I get back to my proper yoga/sleep schedule and continue eating right I should feel better.

Forgot to add, doing a week out of the 30 day guide to paleo (by the authors of make it paleo). Makes a change and having the shopping list pre-prepared is quite handy. I do add 1-2 fruits/day and a carb portion to lunch and dinner though as if I go too low-carb I feel funky!

There are some yummy recipes, so far my fave is breakfast custard cups with bacon/mushrooms and a coconut milk custard. Yum! They freeze ok too. :)

Homemade coconut milk was very easy to make but I think my dried coconut was a little too old as it's got a slightly 'off' flavour, hard to describe! So am getting fresh supplies and will try again.

Back