Product Review Thread - what do they taste like?

What are your favourite Slim and Save shakes (up to 3)?

• Total voters
Just got my first pack through and couldn't resist trying the chocolate truffa bar, it's actually very very chocolatey a bit too chocolately for me to eat in one go, so I have kept half for later. Its really nice... Are you guys sure this is a diet lol :p

The dark choc one? Good for hitting the spot. I like all the bars tbh.

I'm a chilli over cauliflower girl!!!

I sometimes go mad and sprinkle on a bit of grated cheese!!! I'm CRAZY like that!!!;)

Hey Deezer! Fancy seeing you here lol, noticed you went from lipotrim to slim and save just like me :D

i'm sticking to the shakes as the foods and soups have mixed reviews. I started making them up with just 200ml of water and they are so thick like McDonalds milkshakes (which i have a weakness for) so have stuck to that!
Chocolate - little disappointing, but still drinkable.
Banana - OMG my fave - my 7 year old daughter keeps sticking her finger in it!
Strawberry - little disappointing, but strawberry milkshakes tend to be hit and miss anyway
Red Berry - gorgeous! I was disappointed when the powder came out cream coloured, but amazed that it turned red as i stirred!
Vanilla Caramel - beautiful!!!!
Cafe Latte - wish i'd ordered more, really like it!

I am struggling with the lack of food - especially cooking a shepherds pie last night, and toast this morning for my daughter but the shakes are so lovely and sweet it is really helping my sweet-tooth.

Avon Rachel, why not try the meals and soups for 0.99p. You can get them as a sample if you've never had them before and is worth the money to try - you never know you might like them :)

i might do that! Been looking at the recipes thread and the chilli does look nice. :)

I'm on day 5 of slim and save today and im loving it so far, finding it extremely easy :) My opinion on the packs so far ...

Cottage Pie - Love this, taste's so nice, one of my fav's.
Chilli - Found this spicy but was still a very nice meal.
Macaroni cheese - Didn't like this one at all, had an odd texture and a weird aftertaste.
Mushroom Pasta - LOVE THIS!! My favorite by far :)
Spaghetti bolognaise - Didn't like this one at all, made me urge when i had my first fork full!
Spicy Spaghetti - Not a fan of this one either.

I love all the bars, there isn't one single one that i dont like! :)

Chocolate shake - absolutely lush!
Banana shake - My FAVORITE!!
Strawberry shake - Gorgeous, taste's like strawberry angel delight when turned into a mouse :)
Caramel - Stunning, turned it into a mouse and reminded me of sweet cake mix :)

Still have a few to try but im so positive about this diet!!

Weighed myself this morning and have already lost 6 pound in the 5 days of been on this so im very very happy :) :) :)

I'm on day 5 today. I dont like any of the shakes i've tried but i think the meals are nice(ish) not as good as real food obv but quite good for a vlcd. I've tried the milk choc vanilla and almond bar (which reminds me of a milky way) the milk cho truffa this one was ok quite chocolatey and the lemon yogurt and white choc one which is also nice, and the chicken soup was edible.

I wont be ordering shakes any more tho i really can not stomach them. I make them up then manage to finish about 1/4 of it before i want to be sick.

My next order will be bars, soups and meals i think.

x

Hi All

I only started S&S yesterday, so very new to it, but I'll continue to add my views on the Meals here as I have them:

Shakes
Chocolate
- Was a bit fearful it would be yucky, but made it up with water and a whisk and it was lovely with no lumps. It tasted a bit like slightly thicker chocolate milk. Very nice, would happily drink this again. I did feel a bit queasy later in the day but I think its because I hadn't drunk very much water before/after. 9/10
Vanilla Crispy- Hmm wasn't sure I'd like the crispy bits but they turned out to be ok, not like rice krispies, more like little chewy lumps - not too many of them so not like you get a whole mouthful or anything. This shake seemed more watery than the Chocolate one, and the vanilla flavour was alright but nothing special. Can drink this fine, but didn't give me the "yum" factor of the Chocolate one. 7/10
Chocolate Crispy- Well this was interesting as it was really different from the Vanilla one! I don't know if my Vanilla one was dodgy but this shake had "proper" Rice Krispy type bits in it, and lots of them! Very nice, and the additional texture was welcome. 8/10
Banana - Smelt and tasted extremely banana-ey, and was nice enough to drink. Texture a bit gloopy for me when made with 300ml water. Had a rather chemically aftertaste. 7.5/10
Hazelnut- My least favourite shake so far. Nothing offensive about it, but flavour is very faint so not really much to get stuck into. More like drinking a cup of watered down milk. 6/10

Meals
Spaghetti from Silver Packet
- Made this up with recommended amount of water, and soaked for 5 mins beforehand. Was very dubious as it looked like dog food once made up, and the "mince" was really fine and mushy looking. Had it in a bowl with some broccoli and mushrooms and it was ok. Nothing to write home about, and not over keen on the mushy texture, but edible. 6/10
Chilli Con Carne- Hoorah! This one was yummy! Texture looked a bit dog food like again, but actually tasted fine once cooked. My kidney beans weren't hard, and the chilli spice was just right - not too spicy but enough to add interest. I'll definitely re-order this one. 9/10
Tomato Chili -Don't think this one is as nice as the Chili Con Carne - seems milder and had a more creamy texture - also had a bit of an odd smell that wasn't very appealing. Ok though, I'd eat it, just don't "love it". 7/10
Cottage Pie- This looked very dubious, sort of like beige pigswill with little bits of carrot, and a funny smell. It actually tasted ok - a bit like a very strong stock cube - very salty. Not unpleasant though and once it was with vegetables it was absolutely fine. 7/10
Macaroni Cheese - I had put off eating this as I was envisaging some vile bright yellow fake cheese concoction. Well what a surprise - this was lush and yummy. I made it with 120ml of water which was way too runny - will try it will less next time. Gorgeous and full of flavour - 9/10.

Porridge - Was not looking forward to this given some of the comments online. Made it up with an added sweetener. Smell of it was really horrible -put me right off before I even began eating it. Had the texture of wallpaper paste crossed with sawdust. Tasted really odd, like nothing I've eaten before. Vile, Vile Vile. I have 5 packets of this to get through - may have to try the "making it into a cookie" option. 2/10 and will definitely NOT reorder. Addition: Made it into a cookie today as I need to use it up. Still not great, but edible. 5/10
Oatmeal- After the porridge incident, I made this into a cookie, and added some almond extract and sweetener - although it didn't taste "cookie like" - more like a slightly dry, weirdly chewy tuile, it was a million times better than the Porridge. Made as a Cookie 5/10

Bars
Maple & Almond -
Slightly bitter, dark chocolate taste with a few nutty bits and a softish centre. Quite nice, but the bitter chocolate taste isn't my favourite - mind you, it does stop me eating it so quickly!! 8/10
Dark Choc Truffa Bar - Again, yummy. Seemed smaller than the Maple & Almond, but again, went down the hatch quickly due to being chocolately. 8/10
Milk Choc Truffa Bar - Scrummy on the way down, chocolately, moist and truffly. Did notice a peculiar aftertaste though which lingered a while. 7/10
Chocolate, Vanilla & Almond- Texture is similar to a Milky Way - a bit gritty in texture, but perfectly pleasant. Quite nice. 7/10
White Chocolate, Lemon & Yoghurt -Very nice indeed - a slightly soft centre that tastes a bit like lemon curd. 8/10

Soups
Thai Soup
- Bit of an unfair review of this one so far as I had to make it at work on my first day, so I just stirred it with a fork and it was REALLY lumpy and nasty. The taste was ok though - it reminded me of some of the cheaper cuppa soups. Will review again when I can make one at home with a blender. 6/10
Chicken Soup - made with milk frother this time and much less lumpy! Tasted quick thick and rich, a teeny bit grainy near the bottom. Not bad at all 7/10.

Last edited:
My scummy cookies from the oatmeal nom nom treat time!!!

Attachments

• image-2700739201.jpg
    image-2700739201.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 146
My scummy cookies from the oatmeal nom nom treat time!!!
What method do you use for cooking them? I want to try them tomorrow!

I added a bit of mixed spice then added hot water to a cake batter consistency then baked in oven untill brown :) amazing kind I cakey :)

Oatmeal cookies look so nice! may have to order some oatmeal on my next order! :)

I'm into my 3rd week of slim and save now and have tried all of the packs so I thought I'd write my own reviews to add to the collection.

Shakes
Chocolate: I really like this shake, bot hot and cold. Reminds me of the taste of a chocolate mini milk and so was lovely frozen in ice lolly molds. Will be a regular order.
Strawberry: ​Another lovely shake, really refreshing with bits of strawberry in it. Another regular.
Caramel:
Nice shake, probably not quite a nice as the chocolate but still feels like quite a treat. Not too sweet but has a nice flavour.
Vanilla:
This one I'm not too keen on, nothing unpleasant about it but just a little bland for my tastes. Probably won't order again.
Cafe Latte:
This shake is lush! It's nice cold just shaken normally or hot with an extra spoon of coffee. I also made this one by blending it with ice and it tasted like a frappachino - will definitely order again.
Vanilla Caramel:
This just tastes like the vanilla and caramel mixed together. Nothing bad about ti but would probably just prefer the caramel.
Banana:
I love this shake! Really good banana flavour. Has a slight artificial aftertaste to it but I don't personally find this unpleasant. Will order again.
Red Fruits:
This tastes just like strawberry angel delight to me and so is lovely as a shake or made up a little thicker with milk and eaten as a pudding. Really nice.
Hazelnut:
This is another good shake, nice hazelnut flavour. Good as it comes or hot, with or without a spoon of coffee. Nice made up and then microwaved for a bedtime drink.
Crispy Vanilla:
This is lovely but not good a shake for me, I made the mistake of not reading the instructions when I first had it and made it up with too much water - not good! Add a little bit of a water and make it into a pudding - lovely.
Crispy Choc:
As above only chocolate flavour!
Toffee:
I really like the toffee shake, it had a great flavour and was a good consistency. Only downside was there seemed to be some undesolved salt crystals left in it even though I gave it a good shaking! Still was a nice shake though and that didn't put me off.
Cookies & Cream:
As above RE: the salt crystals but the flavour wasn't great. Nothign offensive just a bit bland. Won't order again.

Soups

Chicken:
Mushroom:
All of the soups taste pretty much the same to me, need a bit of salt and pepper but all quite nice. Just add water
Thai: bit by bit, until you get the texture you want. Also nice made up a bit thicker and poured over veg as a sauce.

Meals
Spag Bol: ​
This is mainly mince with a few bits of past floating in it. Definitely not unpleasant in flavour but a bit odd if eaten alone. Nice over veg or salad - quite spicy!
Spicy Spag:
This has a better ratio of pasta to mince than the spag bol, quite spicy and very tasty.
Macaroni:
This is amazing, probably my favourite meal! It's a bit like a liquid quaver though so probably not for everyone. Don't be tempted to add too much water or you'll have cheese soup! I like to have 2 packs together as it's quite a small portion.
Mushroom Pasta:
Same at the macaroni, really nice mushroom flavour. Really nice with some extra mushrooms.
Cottage Pie:
This is a strange one, it's kind of like instant mash with mince and veg mixed in - I really like it but it is a bit odd. Needs some salt or other seasoning in my opinion but I do like it. A bit of a comfort food!
Chilli:
This is lovely, really not a bad version of chilli. Really good stuffed into a baked green pepper, or served with cauliflower rice.
Tomato Chilli:
Similar to the chilli only more red in colour and a bit of a different flavour. Not much difference in the two I really like both.
Original Oatmeal:
The more 'solid' of the two porridge packs. This makes a paste like oaty breakfast - it's not bad but not quite as nice as the sweet porridge in my opinion. Have yet to try it as the cookies but I imagine it would be quite good! Needs sweetener.
Sweet Porridge: This I really like! More runny than the OO but much more my style of porridge, this also needs sweetener (I add 2) but other than that it's lovely.

Bars:
Vanilla & Almond:
My least favourite bar, nothing offensive about it but just a little dry for my liking. A bit like a more grainy milky way.
Maple & Fruits:
This is a lovely chewy chocolate covered bar! The inside is a bit like a mix of dates and nuts and it's really good!
Milk Truffa:
Absolutely amazing, pure chocolate hit! The inside is a bit like truffle but a bit more cakey. Really nice probably my favourite.
Dark Truffa:
A dark chocolate version of above, a bit bitter for me (and I like dark chocolate) but nice sliced thinly and nibbled on.
Coconut:
Gorgeous, like a bounty - lovely coconutty filling mmm!
Lemon:
This bar is fab, lovely chewy lemon filling covered in white chocolate. Could happily eat this as it is but I tend to eat as biscuits (recipe in the 100% subforum) as it lasts a bit longer.
Chocolate Praline: This bar is amazing! I cut it up into about 20 small pieces and just sucked each one haha - lasted nearly an hour though so it was good. Glad these are back in stock now - will be a regular order :)

Last edited:
I like the sound of chocolate mini milks but il probably make them with the crispy choc pack as I'm not so keen on the normal choc one

A quick review of the products I do and don't like (as reading through these I go against popular opinion on many of them!!)

Shakes - I like the red fruits and strawberry one. I've ordered a couple of crispy choc for variety but generally red fruits would be my choice of any milkshake rather than choc or vanilla so probably why I like them.

Oatmeal / porridge - I like the oatmeal one best and look forward to this for breakfast. I add mixed spice to it (cinnamon, ginger etc.). The consistency is like ready brek rather than oats but I love it.

Soups - All a bit like cuppa soups and I don't like these but handy to have a few for when I need to make a quick lunch at work. I've ordered the tomato hoping I might like that one for when I need a soup

Mac cheese / mushroom pasta - don't like these but I never liked cheese sauces so no surprise there

Meals - I love the spicy spaghetti, the cottage pie and the chilli with beans. All the others are more than edible but wouldn't be my favourites.

Bars - love them all!!

My 2 year old just started a tantrum, will be back to edit when I get chance!

Thought I'd share my favourites so far:
Cafe latte shake, red fruits shake, strawberry shake. Cafe latte is my favourite.

Veg soup- agree with above they do taste like cuppa soups ( but i love them so its all good).

Chilli- lovely. one of my favourite foods, and this tastes really good. not too keen on spag bol now.

bas- I could take or leave them really. Im not fond of sweet things, and so far they all taste ok. But i don't think I'll order any next time.

I was dreading a vlcd because I thought it would all taste artificial and powdery, but I'm really impressed with s&s products.

Hi all

I posted when this thread first started and was really happy with the shakes I had tried.

Had a bad experience with soups on Cambridge as they were vile lol but though I would give the soup a try on Slim and Save as the reviews seemed ok - well i'm pleased to report I have just had the veg soup and it was very nice - and yes it did taste like cup-a-soup.

Another big thumbs up for Slim and Save :happy096:

Nearly done with the week so far so thought I would nip in and post my likes and dislikes out of everything I have tried.

To start, I absolutely love the strawberry, red berry, chocolate and vanilla milkshakes, they taste so creamy!

I am also a fan of the Sweet Porridge and the Oatmeal but will be buying some cinnamon to add a little more flavour to both.

As far as the soups go, I can't say I have been impressed with any of them to be honest, soups aren;t really my thing, they were okay but not for me.

The bars are the same, I find them too chewy and cardboardy, I have never had a diet bar I've liked so again, won't be ordereing anymore.

Lastly the meals, my favourite by far is the curry which I had with some broccoli, delicious! Worst thing I have had all week was the chilli, I was forcing it down.

Back