Product Review Thread - what do they taste like?

What are your favourite Slim and Save shakes (up to 3)?

• Total voters
I was really surprised by how tasty the meal food packs are. Even my fiancée comments on how my food smells good.

My favourite shakes are Banana, Chocolate and Strawberry. Tried the Red fruits one and wasn't keen - though did see someone suggest freezing it and having it as a sorbet.

Soups: I pretty much stick to the Chicken, Vegetable and Mushroom. I wasn't too keen on the Tomato.

Bars: Milk chocolate truffle - divine!!

Meals: I like almost all of them. Really surprised actually.

Start weight 247lbs :scale:
:scale::scale::scale::scale::scale::scale::scale::scale::scale::scale:

Week 1 - 6lbs lost - 241lbs
Week 2 -

GOALS :cross: :cross:
:cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross::cross:

100% week
Reach 220lbs
Reach 200lbs

Mild Curry: The curry taste itself is very nice, and it's certainly mild (which I like!), however the chicken (?) pieces are really very bitter and awful.
It could do with a little more 'something' in it to bulk it out a bit, as it turns into more of a soup with tiny fragments of chicken (?) in it.
I think in the future I'm going to sieve out the mystery meat & just use the curry soup/sauce over an allowanced vegetable. :)

The shakes are probably my favourite 'meal' of the day, I use my 150ml of skimmed milk allowence (as I don't drink tea or coffee hardly at all) and top up the rest with cold water from the fridge, to roughly 350/400ml. I had to get rid of the caramel though, it wasn't the nicest :( I love the chocolate and crispy chocolate shakes the most, followed by strawberry and red berry shakes.

I can't really tolerate the soups, I find them all a little powdery or gritty, well all except the veg soup which I actually quite like! After 2 weeks of trying to force the soups down I've given up on them, and they haven't been included in 3rd weekly delivery.

I found the majority of the food packs really tasty, I'm quite surprised how flavourful they all are! My favourites are the macaroni cheese, the mushroom pasta and the mild curry. I've been checking out the recipe thread to find interesting things to do with my veg allowance which has made a huge different to my meal times!

Although I do quite like the chocolate bars (especially the dark choc & coconut and the dark/milk choc truffa, they're all really nice!) I found that they weren't filling enough, and after eating one I just wanted to eat something else straight after, which didn't happen with any of the other meals, so I've order an extra 7 shakes to have instead of the chocolate bars this week as they are way more filling.

All in all I'd give Slim & Save a 8/10 for their produce in general, as I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoy eating/drinking the majority of the food I ordered! I wasn't expecting to like any of it, typically diet food tends to be bland or just plain nasty, but they really have created some wonderful flavours! I'm well impressed :clap:

Quick question. What's the best way to eat the crispy vanilla shake. The Slim and save website says, with 300ml of water, but tried that this morning and it was pretty horrible - might be because I was trying to eat it like cereal in a bowl. Any ideas?

Had he tomato soup with chopped chives and ground pepper and have to say I loved it! Afraid I could nor stomach the porridge biscuits though!

Obviously what you like is a matter of personal taste. I have found that generally, what I like normally translates into what I like with S&S.

Shakes:

Strawberry- was ok, tasted like a cheap strawberry milk shake- I probably will order one or two to mix it up but its not my favourite.
Raspberry- tasted like those cheap crappy raspberry frozen mousses you used to get as a kid. Really fake tasting, though they seem to contain real raspberry?! I doubt I'll order it again, unless it's to turn it into a mousse.
Cafe-Latte- tastes like a weak iced latte, really quite nice, haven't tried it hot but will be doing.
Hazelnut - really like hazelnut stuff, but not actual hazelnuts so much. This tasted like melted hazelnut ice cream, was really yummy. Very creamy.
Cookies and Cream- this tastes like oreo cookie milkshake, a bit like a malted milk biscuit. I really liked it except for the salty crystals at the bottom which will prevent me from ordering it again.

Meals:
Spicy spaghetti- I really really enjoyed this, you can even see the pasta! It tasted to be liked can of heinz spaghetti bolognaise (the one with meat in, not the one with bean like sauce). There isn't much of it but it is quite filling and goes well with veg.
Chilli- once again really nice, not quite as nice as the spaghetti, mainly due to the lack of pasta. It is very mild but flavoursome. Very similar in texture the spaghetti.
Mushroom pasta- honestly thought I would hate this- I love garlic mushrooms but hate slimy mushroom things and mushroom soup. This was like liquidized creamy garlic mushrooms, sooo tasty, though a bit salty. Would be great with extra mushrooms. I'll definitely order this again, possibly my favourite so far.

Bars:

dark chocolate truffa: I enjoyed this, it's a bit like a crunchy praline chocolate that you get in dairy milk only denser. It's a bit smaller though.
Chocolate coconut: I like this, imagine a denser bounty with the coconut more shredded and a slightly less intense flavour.
chocolate praline: This is like cadbury fudge to me, I like it warmed in the microwave for 20seconds.
chocolate almond something: didn't like this, odd texture and flavour but I don't like almond flavour any way!

As I try more things I will add to this review.

Dear all,

Hope you all are doing good. I've started the 28 day Men Full meal replacement diet today.

Can you please advice me if I can add salt and pepper to taste to the meal options and what criteria can I use to select such tastemakers.

Have been trying to find a solution to this in the forum , however, couldnt find a conclusive advice.

Richard83, salt and pepper are fine, as is fresh and dried herbs, garlic, tabasco, soy sauce (in small amounts) and lea and perrins. Hope this helps.

Hi All starting tomorrow. What a fantastic thread. really pleased i brought the taster week of 28 packs so i can try everything. at the end of the week i will do a post of the different products
well done everyone on there losses
xx

I just re-ordered some cafe latte shakes and because S&S has recenty changed their suppliers I was sent some samples before they processed my order. Apparently some clients did not like the new shakes and when I tasted it I could understand why. I was so disappointed as the new shakes tasted VERY sweet and the consistency is really slimey! There is no way I could stomach the new shakes on a daily basis but thankfully they still use the old suppliers for some flavours and I will have to now change my order to vanilla shakes, which is not a great flavour for me but I'll just gulp it down quickly as I don't want any flavours from the new supplier as they are truly awful.

I've no idea if any other products are now coming from the new suppliers as I've only ever ordered shakes.

Has anyone else had any problems with the shakes from S&S's new suppliers that they'd like to share?

Hi Abigail I've experienced the same problem with cafe latte and hazelnut shakes. I phoned S&s and they confirmed that they had changed suppliers. I absolutely cannot stand the new ones, they are revolting. I asked if anyone else had complained and they said 3 others, that's all ! They have said I can send them back, but its more cost to me to send them back and more hassle especially at this time of year ! I loved the old ones they were my fav, so truly guttered !

I had noticed the change in packaging, and just thought I had changed my tastes- the hazelnut one just didn't seem quite as nice. Haven't noticed with the other flavours though.

First day on SnS and going ok so far. Todays packs and my thoughts:

Breakfast - Toffee shake: yum yum yum, liked this one and reminded me of melted toffee ice cream. Will make sure I use ice cold water next time as I think this will make it even more delish

Lunch - Milk chocolate truffa bar: OK. Good for when you need that chocolatey hit, but I found the inside a bit powdery as I savoured every bite. (Chopped into lots of little pieces to make it last longer.

Dinner - Macaroni cheese: Loved it. Im a bit of a cheese fiend and really enjoyed the taste of this. Soaked the mix for about 5 mins before I put it in the microwave then left it to stand for another few minutes after to make the tiny pasta spirals soft. Chopped in some steamed brocolli and cauli and ground some black pepper over the top .....look forward to having this one again

I'll update some more as and when I try the flavours

I've just started my 28 sample pack and thought I would revive this thread and give my opinion on the things I try as I go!

Meals

Chilli (white pack) - really very pleased with this, smells beautiful and is lovely and spicy, does taste very meaty and not particularly fake-meaty!

Chilli (silver pack) - coming soon!

Spicy spaghetti - I was expecting a little more from this after reading all the reviews, it was okay, smelt nice, but didn't think the flavour matched the smell!

Spaghetti bolognese - coming soon!

Cottage pie - I was a little dubious about this as it has mixed reviews, but really enjoyed it! Had it with a huge pile of broccoli, it was very very filling.

Macaroni - the recommended water to make this up was far too much, was too runny, but a very satisfying cheesy flavour that fulfilled a urge!

Mushroom pasta - Like macaroni, I felt the recommended water was too much, will definitely add less next time, but otherwise tasty.

Oatmeal and Porridge - Yet to taste, bit scared...

Bars

Lemon, yogurt and white chocolate bar - I was expecting a much more zingy flavour and would have preferred a crunchier consistency, It does have a nice white chocolate
flavour which is pleasant.

Dark chocolate trufa bar - very very chocolatey and rich, took me 3 hours to eat! Again would have preferred it to be crunchier but it is very nice.

Maple, fruits and almond bar - really enjoyed this one, I love nuts so loved the almond flavour.

Milk chocolate trufa bar - this was okay, nothing to write home about, but perfectly acceptable.

Dark chocolate coconut bar - I loved this one, loved the texture and the flavour. Awesome.

Praline bar - lovely flavour and texture, found it quite heavy so had spread it through the morning.

Soups

Have some of these but yet to try!

Shakes

I have all of my shakes gloopy with just a little water, I've been put off shakes as a drink by previous VLCDs!

Caramel - really enjoyed this, very subtle caramel flavour
Chocolate - nice and malty, didn't find it very sweet, which is good
Hazelnut - others have said it's like the middle of a ferrero rocher and that's exactly right
Vanilla cereal - wasn't keen on the "bits" in this, which are not at all cereal-y, but okay flavour

Last edited:
I'm just getting started on Slim and Save so I'll update more once I've tried the flavours! So far though:

Chocolate shake: creamy, extrememly chocolately, smells like chocolate cheesecake. 10/10
Hazelnut shake: creamy, tastes like the inside of a Ferrero Rocher minus the chocolate. 7/10
Chocolate crispy shake: creamy, extremely chocolately, lovely Rice Krispies like crispy bits. 10/10

Spaghetti (silver): tastes like real spaghetti bolognese, fairly spicy. 7/10
Macaroni cheese: very cheesy, albeit fake tasting cheese. 8/10

Last edited:
Mushroom pasta! I only ordered 3 of these as I didn't want to order many in case I didn't like it and I wish I'd ordered so many more! I had it with some black pepper and garlic italian herbs and about 80g of broccoli, it was so delicious!

I've only been on the plan for a few days, but here are my thoughts/recipes so far (I am on the lifestyle plan):

Spicy Spaghetti: LOVED it, so tasty and thick. I had mine over some broccoli and cauliflower which I steamed and then tossed in some shallots that I had cooked in a little bouillon.

Spag Bol: Very yummy, again rich and thick. I had to cook mine for an extra minute despite soaking it in the water for a few minutes beforehand in order to get the pasta soft enough. I served it with mushrooms, courgettes and shallots cooked in a little bouillon with added coriander, garlic and chilli flakes. I also mixed in some Slim Pasta which made it a very very filling meal.

Mild Curry: A surprising fresh coriander flavour, really nice! Served over broccoli, cauliflower and courgettes and with salmon on the side.

Sweet Porridge: Tasted foul to begin with, very salty, so I crushed up 2 tablet sweeteners and stirred them in, it transformed into such a delicious filling breakfast that I will order lots more next week!

Crispy Vanilla Shake: A very smooth shake (as against the CD and Exante ones which I think are a bit grainy), almost a creme caramel flavour? The little rice crispy type things floating in it were fun and it was nice to have a bit of a crunch.

Chocolate Shake: Again, very smooth texture, and with the same faint caramel/vanilla background. Not bad at all, easy to drink down.

Lemon Yogurt Bar: Very nice, the middle tastes like sweeties, and the outside tastes like white choc. I sliced it thinly and it was like eating a bowl of chewy sweets. Will definitely get again.

Chocolate Praline Bar: Yummy! Again, I sliced and it was a bit like a milky way but more dense and grainy, the texture was worth it though as it tasted so good. A real treat.

Vanilla Almond Bar: Really good, a slight crunch in there which I really liked. Really chewy too, felt like it took a while to eat even though I didn't slice it.

Will post more as I try them!

Ok have tried some more:

Oatmeal: YUCK!!! Disgusting! I could barely get it down, the texture was awful, and the flavour was revolting, like eating dust. I literally had to put spoonfuls in, hold my nose and gulp...only just managing not to gag lol. Never again!

Muesli bar: Really nice, reminded me of a cereal bar, had a yogurt coating which was just like white chocolate. Might actually be my favourite bar!

Chile con Carne: It was nice and rich (I make all the meals up with less water as I like them thick, not runny), but it wasn't amazing. Bit disappointed after all the rave reviews, but the beans in there made a nice change. I will definitely get more for the variety, but wasn't blown away. A little bit of heat but nowhere near enough for me. I had to add more chilli flakes.

Red fruits shake (I think that's what it's called): It was nice, tasted like a strawberry shake really, nothing amazing. I'm not such a fan of the shakes but I'd have it again. Tasted a bit like a strawberry/raspberry yogurt to me.

Crispy Chocolate shake: It tasted lovely, but I made the mistake of eating it as a pudding (by greatly reducing the amount of water and eating with a spoon) and it was far too rich for me like that! Made me thirsty all day. But the flavour is a very rich chocolate taste, and I really liked the crispy bits.

Cottage Pie: YUMMMM might be my favourite! Yes it was bland, as others have said, but I added Worcester Sauce and that helped loads. It was so nice to have a mashed potato texture to eat. I had to cook it for longer as again, I added a bit less water so that it was really thick, like proper mashed potato consistency. Really impressed with this one.

has anyone purchase the slim and save mousse - just wondering what this is like?

Back