Psyllium husks

Well girls I tried the husks this evening for the first time in the Toffee and Walnut shake and I thought it was fab, definitely feeling so much more full than usual. Thanks so much for recommending them, just a quick question, has anyone noticed if they have any effect on your weight loss?

Ok, excuse me being a bit slow.. I'd just like to clarify:

There are three types of P.Husks available:
1)powder
2)tablets
3)granuels.. (which, I'm imagining, are a bit like the size and shape of rice crispies)

It's this third option that are worth putting in your drinks to turn into a yummy porridge which also does your system a world of good...

QUESTIONS:

a) Is this right?
b) If so, where the best place to get them, and how do I make sure they're the right ones?
c) Can anyone explain why I'm struggling to grasp this simple concept?? Hahaha!! :D

Vx

the ones I have are like little flakes...literally the husks,not granules.

the ones I have are like little flakes...literally the husks,not granules.

Yeah I'm the same, Enough they are fab, give them a try.

Yay! Finally got some! :)

So, I've been going into various health food shops and chemists over the last month or so, and had only found the powder - which I didn't fancy..

but this weekend I've found some husks! :) Looks a bit like pale brown ready-brek :) Used to love readybrek when I was a kid!

..so I put two desert spoons full in my porridge this morning... tasted yummy, and I liked it.. but was that a bit much? My digestive system won't mind, will it? (seems quite happy at the mo!...)

Vx

I usually use psyllium but on this diet I have found that it hasn't really done much for me. I switched to fibreclear yesterday and it worked wonders.

Hiya.. Elay - that's not the stuff that I've bought.. I think there are a few different things people get.. either:

-husks (look a bit like a light brown readybrek, or wholemeal flour, and are literally the husks of the plant, gound up a little bit, but not into powder)
-powder (the ad you linked)
-capsules which contain the powder

I wanted the husks cause:
-that's what I have seen recommended
-I wanted something to mix into the porridge and make it more enjoyable (which it did)
- can't explain my third reason, but it's something about slightly trusting the husks to be what they're supposed to be, instead of some random bleach-white powder which could be anything...

Of course, this is just a personal preference, and I've come accross people on here who swear by the powder, or who get the capsules, and open them and add them to food...

Psyllium Husks ..

This is what I've bought, and i guess it'll last for months in the amount I'm going to be adding! (didn't buy it from this shop.. bought it at a health food shop called G Baldwin and Co.. all look the same sort of prices though.. 250g bag for a fiver-ish, up to a 1kg bag for 18 quid...

Hope that helps!

Vx

Psyllium husks have been used for centuries through out the middle east and india as a natural remedy(epsecially for elderly people and children) for tummy problems like constipation or diaorhia. Yes it does depend on how much you use coz too much can constipate you. the consistancy is up to you but i would not recommend more than 2 tablespoons per shake (I wouldnt add it to the porridge just the shakes) once a day. it will take 3-4 days before it starts working in the loo department but it will work for sure!!! Saying that, i enjoy them simply because they thicken up my shake and fill me for longer, the other benefits are just add ons. They are good for your heart too!

I have today tried my First Psyllium Husk Milkshake.. Choc Mint. And I have to say it was really really YUMMY:bliss:

I only added a 5ml Teaspoons worth, but it thickened it up just enough and it was really nice, definately felt more filling. Just hoping the after effects will kick in soonish!;)

Psyllium husks have been used for centuries through out the middle east and india as a natural remedy(epsecially for elderly people and children) for tummy problems like constipation or diaorhia. Yes it does depend on how much you use coz too much can constipate you.

BOY do I wish I'd read this before I went on my very first experiment with psyllium husks, and added 2 BIG spoonfuls into my porridge, and was soooo sorry with the outcome!! :ashamed0005: ouch.. well, on a positive note, it also gave me the chance to experience supositories for the first time, which worked a treat! HAHA!!

..taking a little while to try the stuff again, but I think I'll be adding a lot less in future!! :D

Vxx

Just got some PH today & tried adding a teaspoon each to a choc/mint shake and a toffee/walnut shake. Apart from a slightly gritty feel in my mouth it was quite palatable. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the potty department.;)

Back