Quorn

ngreen1974

Silver Member
Ladies, what's the deal with Quorn? I LOVE it. I think it's a hang up from being a veggie for 13 years (a drunken night and a kebab put pay to that phase tho!).

My fav are quorn burgers which have:
85 cals per burger
0.6g of carb per burger
0.6g sat fat
0.23g salt.

These details mean nothing to me. My head turns to jelly when the science part of dieting comes into conversation :eek:

Please say these are ok as a treat once a week. Please?

I've never (knowingly) eaten quorn and wouldn't know where to look for it at the supermarket:eek: but it seems v low in fat so that can only be good. I think most meat is carb-free but there's not very much in there so I can't see that it's a problem.

Maybe another quorn-eater would know for sure?

Thanks Laura. I hope the outcome is that they are ok as I've just wolfed down 2!!!!

You're fine with them.
I used the sausages a lot when starting on this as hadnt eaten meat in ages (ate fish though was never anti meat for any love of animals) and had great losses.
On the dukan chat they are changeable with it sometime they are like x grams and sometimes its quorn is fine.
I still use the mince too sometimes as I have a fair number of bags in the freezer from when it was on sale but quorn mince chilli is not the same without beans :(

Jo, where are you when we need you?????????

Vickki I don't remember seeing it in aus, you have less veggie convieniance stuff.
It's just a brand that does lots of things with tvp, some low carb some not (mmmm veggie sausage rolls).

Quorn is delish. I've decided I'm going to allow myself the burgers and sausages but only as a treat. I wouldnt recommend the other quorn products, especially the ones with pastry and bradcrumbs for obvious reasons.

Quorn is ok, but I don't know about industrially prepared things with quorn I'm afraid because I've never seen it over here.

What are the ingredients of your burgers? (cos the "sat fat" thing raises my antenna... while I admit to not having a clue!). I googled "quorn burgers" and have seen some with all sorts of banned ingredients...

Ingredient for meatfree burgers:
Rehydrated Soya Protein (60%), Rehydrated Wheat Protein (20%) ), Sunflower Oil, Onion, Egg White, Onion Powder, Natural Flavouring, Water, Pea Fibre, Yeast Extract, Potato Starch, Garlic Powder, Salt, Stabilisers: Guar Gum, Sodium Alginate; Malt Extract (from Barley).

Details per burger:
Energy
361kJ

86kcal
Protein
11.4g
Carbohydrate
2.4g
Total Sugars
0.3g
Starch
0.9g
Fat
3.4g
Saturates
0.4g
Mono unsaturates
1.0g
Polyunsaturates
2.1g
Fibre
1.9g
Salt
0.57g
Sodium
0.23g

As a purist (when I'm in the zone), this would to me be a no go (reasons in red below) but you say that they're allowing it on the Dukan official site? You've not got much to lose methinks so I wouldn't risk it UNLESS you're a vegetarian... and then all the rules would change.

Ingredient for meatfree burgers:
Rehydrated Soya Protein (60%), Rehydrated Wheat Protein (20%) ), Sunflower Oil, Onion, Egg White, Onion Powder, Natural Flavouring, Water, Pea Fibre, Yeast Extract, Potato Starch, Garlic Powder, Salt, Stabilisers: Guar Gum, Sodium Alginate; Malt Extract (from Barley???).

Details per burger:
Energy
361kJ

86kcal
Protein
11.4g
Carbohydrate
2.4g
Total Sugars
0.3g
Starch
0.9g
Fat
3.4g
Saturates
0.4g
Mono unsaturates
1.0g
Polyunsaturates
2.1g
Fibre
1.9g
Salt
0.57g
Sodium
0.23g

But that's just my take on it - over here, the emphasis is to get away from industrially produced things because of the hidden extras they delight us with! It's up to you of course... and Jaqs says she had them without adverse effect...

I havent seen then related with Dukan at all. I just love them. Bless you for saying I dont have alot to lose, but I have about 3 1/2 stone! I think I will keep them as a treat. Thanks for looking Jo. Really appreciate your advice. x

How about trying this recipe with quorn?

Makes 6 burgers

500g Lean minced beef or turkey mince [or quorn!!]
1 x low fat stock cube
3 tbsp Oatbran [so count as your bran intake for 1.5 days - that's confusing!]
1-2 egg whites
1 tbsp Oregano
1 tbsp Basil
1 tbsp Sage
1/2 tbsp garlic powder

1. Put mince into a bowl and stir in the crushed stock cube and oatbran
2. Add the egg whites and mix together until all the egg has been absorbed (it should form into a compact mixture, not too sticky, if it is too sticky mix in a sprinkle of oatbran)
3. Then mix in the herbs
4. Take lumps of the mixture and with your hands make into 6 patties and grill on a medium heat for 10-20 minutes turning in between

Mmmm sounds good Jo. Thank you. x

I'm sooo happy that quorn sausages and mince are okay, as a pescatarian (no meat, only fish) I wasn't sure how I'd get through the pure protein days. Thanks!

Back