RD's life diary: I'm back (sort of)

Thats a smashing idea Debbie, he will love it and so will your Mum. Ilike the idea of it becoming a valued family heirloom, that continuity would probably really appeal to him.

Sending hugs,

Love

I spent a few hours with my mum and dad this afternoon. He looks thin and drawn, his legs are swollen with water retention and is generally in some discomfort but we still managed to have a chuckle - mainly talking about old times.

I discreetly managed to borrow some of my mum's old photos of me and my sisters when we were kids ... she has no idea of my plan to make a book for my dad's birthday.

I've had dinner so my cals stand at:

1/2 grapefruit and 1tsp sugar - 75 cals
Small tin tuna = 140 cals
Small tin mixed bean salad = 140 cals
salad and dressing = 50 cals
Anticipated mini milky way = 120 cals
Snacks
2 ryvita and drizzle marmite = 70 cals
sponge cake made by DD4 = 200 cals
Sub total = 795

Total for today = 1200

That'll do nicely :D

i think it will be equally as emotional for your mum as it is for your dad when he opens his pressie.
your food looks good, although i have to say i couldn't eat as little as you do, maybe thats my problem :sigh:
xx :)

Eat as little as me?? :eek: My evening meal looked like a replica of Mt Everest!! Seriously, I had a large mixed salad and with the tuna / bean salad plonked on top I felt like a wee oinky piggy eating it!

been reading your foody bits.. love what you're doing and can see that after maintenance I will be doing calorie counting for sure as that, I hope, will be the thing that works for me...

an idea for low cal snack -

Very Low Fat fromage Frais with a sachet of 'Options' mixed in... if you have the mint one it tastes like after eights! The orange one tastes like a Terry's choc orange... it's basically a 250g/ml tub and 1 sachet. Very low cal, filling and scrummy sweet (I used to do this on Slimming WOrld years ago)

Also - very low fat cottage cheese whizzed with garlic chives.. or coriander... makes a scrummy dip with veggies...

I can't wait to have such things again! lol :)

The memory album idea is lovely and will definitely be so appreciated I'm certain :D

Take care, so pleased to see you sounding calmer and in control too , what a star - especially with everything you have to cope with!

Much love
xx

Grrrr - just wrote my post and then lost the darned thing when I tried to submit it!

Anyway - just had lunch

1/2 grapefruit with 1 tsp sugar = 80 cals
200g pot of low fat cottage cheese = 140 cals
3 x dark rye ryvita = 95 cals
Mixed green salad with sweet chilli dressing + 1tsp low fat mayo = 50 cals

Sub total for today = 365

I warmed the grapefruit in the microwave for 20 secs today: made it much easier to eat.

I know I shouldn't weigh myself every day - but I just can't help it! I need to know immediately if the scales are going in the wrong direction and my diet needs 'tweaking'.
Anyway - hopped on this morning after three days of my new regime and saw, to my amazement, that I had lost ... (wait for it)

7lb!! :eek::eek: Yep - 7lb in three days! I've never lost that amount on a conventional diet before - not even in that first 'golden' week when you lose glycogen. that's because I'm insulin resistant and consequently my body not only hangs on stubbornly to every pound but I regain it super-quick is I eat refined carbs.

I've been having half a grapefruit before every meal as an experiment after reading a report by Japanese scientists which said that grapefruit has an effect on the way the body metabolises carbs / sugars. The repost said that this may have a positive effect on the weight loss rate for people who are insulin resistant.

Anyway - grapefruit or reduced cals ... I'm chuffed :D

I'll be carrying on with the grapefruit. Can't hurt as part of my 'five a day' and who knows, it might be having the magical effect I was hoping for. :)

Thanks Karion
I know things will settle down into a more sedate paced loss but I'm just over the moon to see that I can eat food AND lose weight. My thinking had become very twisted and I think I was on the verge of developing an eating disorder at one point: I had limited my food to just two things ... cottage cheese and porridge. Hardly healthy or balanced.

It was ALL I'd eat all day - not only was I feeling lethargic on it, I didn't lose a pound. So then I tricked myself into thinking that if I couldn't lose weight eating just two food types, I could never lose weight eating other stuff as well. Dangerous ground!

Anyway - I'm delighted because it means that a major psychological barrier has been broken. I can't say I'm totally 'cured' or confident but this has gone a long way towards mending my cracked thinking. :)

Brilliant RD, I know what you mean about crooked thinking, when I work the stages after SSing I didnt gain 1lb, yet when I had a mad blow out after SSing I gained 5lbs!! I guess our bodies really are temples, and need a wide variety of things!

WOW and WOW! Flipping heck RD, that is just fab! I am so chuffed for you. Keep going with your positive thinking, your healthy eating and you will achieve your goal.

Love

wow Debbie, thats fantastic news !!
keep up the good work & you'll soon be telling us a stone gone & 2 & 3
xx :)

Grrrr - just wrote my post and then lost the darned thing when I tried to submit it!

Anyway - just had lunch

1/2 grapefruit with 1 tsp sugar = 80 cals
200g pot of low fat cottage cheese = 140 cals
3 x dark rye ryvita = 95 cals
Mixed green salad with sweet chilli dressing + 1tsp low fat mayo = 50 cals

Sub total for today = 365

I warmed the grapefruit in the microwave for 20 secs today: made it much easier to eat.

I know I shouldn't weigh myself every day - but I just can't help it! I need to know immediately if the scales are going in the wrong direction and my diet needs 'tweaking'.
Anyway - hopped on this morning after three days of my new regime and saw, to my amazement, that I had lost ... (wait for it)

7lb!! :eek::eek: Yep - 7lb in three days! I've never lost that amount on a conventional diet before - not even in that first 'golden' week when you lose glycogen. that's because I'm insulin resistant and consequently my body not only hangs on stubbornly to every pound but I regain it super-quick is I eat refined carbs.

I've been having half a grapefruit before every meal as an experiment after reading a report by Japanese scientists which said that grapefruit has an effect on the way the body metabolises carbs / sugars. The repost said that this may have a positive effect on the weight loss rate for people who are insulin resistant.

Anyway - grapefruit or reduced cals ... I'm chuffed :D

I'll be carrying on with the grapefruit. Can't hurt as part of my 'five a day' and who knows, it might be having the magical effect I was hoping for. :)

Hi Debbie,

7lbs.!!! in 3 days:wow:

Well done, this is fantastic!!!

4zxfbeu.gif

Debbie wow that is fabulous news.....you are going to be beaming on saturday ....cant wait to meet you and your daughter.

What a fantastic result in only 3 days - half a blooming stone!!! Something's working hun, keep up the good work and see you soon xxxx

Hiya Debbie,

Been reading your thread so pleased that your back on an even keel and 7lbs loss thats amazing .

I am very interested in the grapefruit theory i too am IR and the only other time i lost weight other than cd was doing SW red days only and i had a grapefruit everyday !
Excuse me while i rush off and buy some grapefruits lol.

I think the idea for your Dad is wonderful and would be something to treasure forever .

Hope today is a good day
much love Julie xxx

Dinner was yummy, if a little over-indulgent - still well within daily calorie allowance though.

Afternoon snack: 2 ryvita drizzled with marmite = 75 cals
1 small apple = 100 cals

1/2 grapefruit + 1tsp sugar = 70 cals
100g chicken breast = 115 cals
sweet & sour sauce = 140 cals
Jacket spud approx 100g = 130 cals
green beans, carrots & cabbage = neg

CD mousse = 140 cals

Freddo frog = 120 cals
Sub-total = 890 cals

Total for day = 1255

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. It was a week ago that my dad's hospital appointment was postponed until the 17th - he gets the results of his lung biopsy tomorrow.

Me and my youngest sister are going over with my mum and dad - we haven't told sister #2 yet because it's the hospital where her son James died only a few weeks ago and we think it'll all be a bit much for her. I'll tell her the results when we know them.

As the eldest daughter / sister, if ever I needed to be strong, it's tomorrow.

Back