Red's food diary - advice very gratefully received

Today so far:
January 15th – Extra Easy
B – Black coffee, BIG breakfast – 2 quorn sausages, beans, egg fried in Frylight, large helping of tomatoes, mushrooms, onions with garlic.

L – Spicy butternut squash soup, small amount homemade houmous and carrot sticks.
T – The Ultimate SW bacon cheese burger from Britmum’s blog without the ketchup and potato wedges (also from the blog) but with Thai seven spice seasoning and 3 level tbsp of extra light mayo (1.5 syns) mixed with fat free natural yoghurt and chilli powder served with a large salad. Used HexB for wholemeal roll (Tesco healthy rolls) and HexA for the cheese on the burger.
S – Mullerlight yoghurt,
Syns - 1.5 so far but I plan on having an options drink (2 syns) and a 2 finger kit kat (5.5 syns) chocolate fix later that would be
9 syns in total.

Last edited:
Take a look at Britmums website as well, she has some amazing recipes, there hasnt been one yet, that I've tried, that hasnt been a big success with the family. Her ultimate burgers are amazing, or as some of the other mums call them McMummys lol She also does some yummy deserts!

Wow!............ thanks for that Silvermaneuk just taken a look and it's brilliant!!!!:)

I was just updating my food diary for today but I've added this post to heap great praise upon Britmum and her blog - which is fantastic.

I made the Ultimate SW bacon cheese burger for me and the family with spicy wedges - she has a recipe for those on there too - I added my own spice as I've always made spicy wedges (usually using olive oil but replaced with frylight now). It was gorgeous I loved it and so did my partner (he had proper bacon though not the fat free stuff I had). I will be trying a lot of recipes from her blog and I think it totally rocks. So high praise for Brit mum :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: and her awesome blog.

Today was going to be Extra Easy as always and then I noticed it looked like a green day but I'm not sure. I would have synned the ryvitas for snack on extra easy but on a green day they would count as another HexB is that right? In which case I will definately add the pesto if I have some or have some extra light mayo with the salad.

This is the plan for today:

January 16th – Easy Extra
B – Black coffee, BIG breakfast – 2 quorn sausages, beans, egg fried in Frylight, large helping of tomatoes, mushrooms, onions with garlic.
L – spicy parsnip soup – Satsuma and apple
T – quorn chilli (with courgette, peppers, mushrooms and tomato in the chiili) served with small salad and rice. Alpen light bar (heated) (HexB) with frozen berrie, banana and a muller light.
Chilli mayo with salad (3 level tbsp of extra low fat may + far free natural yoghurt + chilli powder) (1.5syns), 8 small black olives with salad (1syn)
S – Alpen Light bar (HexB), 4 ryita (HexB) and Laughing cow (HexA), Options drink (2 Syns)
Syns – 4.5 syns – I may add to this.

Last edited:
Thank you Britmum, alas I just looked for the pesto and I don't have any so I'll have some mayo and maybe add some seeds to my rice - I like seeds in rice for crunch and syn that instead to keep the syn total up.

Thank you Britmum, alas I just looked for the pesto and I don't have any so I'll have some mayo and maybe add some seeds to my rice - I like seeds in rice for crunch and syn that instead to keep the syn total up.

You can make your own persto with fresh basil, fromage fraise plain (very low fat) and lemon juice. Whizzed in a blenda. Ok its not as synful as the real thing, but its pretty close. If you dont mind a few syns use plain extra light philladelphia and do the same and stir into pasta its yum!

Having the same issue using up syns here, too. I tend not to eat much on weekends - never have! Have made up some 12 speed soup as I love pulses so that really appeals. It's more like a stew so will have it with rice for supper. There's so much of it that I'll have lunch for the whole week! Not sure I have enough Tupperware though.

I am going to have some chocolate tonight, though. Not a blow out, but I'll be synning a bit! Have been very good all week so won't feel bad about it :)

X

Yes I had a kit-kat and an options drink yesterday Little sausage for the same reason. WHat is 12 speed soup? Sounds interesting - I like pulses too.

Silvermane - good pesto tip. I'll be trying that I love basil and rip it up into my salads all the time.

Red Riding Hood said:
Yes I had a kit-kat and an options drink yesterday Little sausage for the same reason. WHat is 12 speed soup? Sounds interesting - I like pulses too.

Silvermane - good pesto tip. I'll be trying that I love basil and rip it up into my salads all the time.

recipe here: http://cy-gb.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2250349716&topic=23820

Haven't had it yet. Have reduces a lot of the liquid and serving with rice for supper. Just tested it and it's delicious!

X

Thank you Little Sausage I'm going to try that next week.

Just making alterations to my food diary (have edited above) I ended up having some olives and extra low fat mayo for syns:
Chilli mayo with salad (3 level tbsp of extra low fat may + far free natural yoghurt + chilli powder) (1.5syns), 8 small black olives with salad (1syn)

S – Alpen Light bar (HexB), 4 ryita (HexB) and Laughing cow (HexA), Options drink (2 Syns)
Syns – 4.5 syns – I may add to this.

January 17th – Easy Extra

B – nothing I was going to have it on my return from the school run as we were running late but there was no one to do duty at playgroup again, and since I am chairperson and run the damn thing I had to stay.

L –I was hungry! – quorn pasta salad (had courgettes, peppers, tomatoes, green beans and wholewheat pasta in it) with spinach leaves and iceberg lettuce. AND a bowl of spicy parsnip soup. AND an apple – lots of superfree in all that though.

T – Salmon, lots of stir fry veg and noodles with chilli, garlic, soy sauce and ginger

S- I was feeling a bit crappy so I had 3 ryvtita (4.5 syns) Laughing cow (HexA) Mullerlight yoghurt and a banana all together not exactly superfree but at least not off plan. Options drink (2 syns), Alpen light bar (HexB)

Syns 6.5

Red Riding Hood said:
January 17th – Easy Extra

B – nothing I was going to have it on my return from the school run as we were running late but there was no one to do duty at playgroup again, and since I am chairperson and run the damn thing I had to stay.

L –I was hungry! – quorn pasta salad (had courgettes, peppers, tomatoes, green beans and wholewheat pasta in it) with spinach leaves and iceberg lettuce. AND a bowl of spicy parsnip soup. AND an apple – lots of superfree in all that though.

T – Salmon, lots of stir fry veg and noodles with chilli, garlic, soy sauce and ginger

S- I was feeling a bit crappy so I had 3 ryvtita (4.5 syns) Laughing cow (HexA) Mullerlight yoghurt and a banana all together not exactly superfree but at least not off plan. Options drink (2 syns), Alpen light bar (HexB)

Syns 6.5

Your lunch sounds lovely!

January 18th – Extra Easy

B – black coffee, 1 banana, 1 apple half a muller light yoghurt.
L – spicy parsnip soup, small dish (ramekin) of homemade houmous lots of carrot sticks, satsuma
T - I don't know what to have - hmmm

Today in full

January 18th – Extra Easy

B – black coffee, 1 banana, 1 apple half a muller light yoghurt.
L – spicy parsnip soup, small dish (ramekin) of homemade houmous lots of carrot sticks, satsuma
T – ‘fry up’ 2 medallions of lean bacon, 2 quorn sausages, an egg, light choice beans third of a tin, (mushrooms, onions, tomatoes and spring greens – making up half the plate). 4 left over SW potato wedges.
Snack – 2 ryvita original (3 syns) and half a laughing cow extra light, few grapes, some homemade houmous and carrots. 2 Alpen Light bars (HexB), Options drink (2syns)

Syns: 5

I'm not over the moon about the tea I had I think I ate too much. The kids wouldn't settle and I was disorganised and hadn't planned my meal. By the time I got dowstairs I was really hungry (full stomach growls) and I just chucked this together. I did have over a third superfree and I made sure some of it was green by adding several handfuls of spring greens and I ate that first but still ... I think I need to do better and be more organised. I'm going to plan all of next weeks menu and shop accordingly. I don't know why I didn't do it this week as I have always done it for the family being on a tight budget. Ah well, live and learn I guess.

I'm still not doing this syns thing right either but I'll think about that too for next weeks menu. I'll be diving into Britmums list of recipes to draw up the menu.

Hi Red Riding Hood, thanks for the message on my diary. Good luck with your weightloss hopefully over the next couple of years we can keep in contact and monitor eachothers' progress! X

Back