Red's food diary - advice very gratefully received

I didn't have the kit-kat :eek::eek:

However, I am meant to be going out on Saturday. We very rarely go out due to finances and lack of babysitting. Through happy coincidence we have had a small financial windfall (most of which is going to pay off things) but OH wanted to go out with his sister in Edinburgh. OH's parents by chance also asked if they could have the kids this weekend (of course!! ;) ) It's not exactly the right time for me - doing SW and all BUT it's such a rare thing.This means a meal and drinks, so Saturday is either going to be flexi syn inthe evening or off plan for the evening and straight back on it Sunday morning. So I guess it isn't too bad that I didn't have the kit-kat yesterday right? ;)

I would love an Actifry they sound brilliant, but can't get one at the moment alas.

Here is today's plan so far:

January 24th – Easy Extra

B – Black coffee, mushrooms, onions, garlic tomatoes large potion, scrambled egg with smoked salmon (gorgeous!) 1 slice Weight Watchers Brown Danish bread (HexB) with half a laughing cow Light (HexA)
L – Butternut squash and lentil soup, homemade houmous and salad (lots of salad) sandwich (rest of HexB – WW Brown Danish 2 slice), apple and fresh pineapple and a few grapes with cinnamon on.
T – Spicy meatballs with a tomato and vegetable sauce and wholewheat spaghetti, side salad.
(using extra lean mince for meatballs)
Snacks: Options drink (2syns) Timeout (4syns)

I haven't planned any snacks in yet but I'll maybe use some syns there, I'll definately have an options drink in the evening.

Last edited:
I didn't have the kit-kat :eek::eek:

However, I am meant to be going out on Saturday. We very rarely go out due to finances and lack of babysitting. Through happy coincidence we have had a small financial windfall (most of which is going to pay off things) but OH wanted to go out with his sister in Edinburgh. OH's parents by chance also asked if they could have the kids this weekend (of course!! ;) ) It's not exactly the right time for me - doing SW and all BUT it's such a rare thing.This means a meal and drinks, so Saturday is either going to be flexi syn inthe evening or off plan for the evening and straight back on it Sunday morning. So I guess it isn't too bad that I didn't have the kit-kat yesterday right? ;)

I would love an Actifry they sound brilliant, but can't get one at the moment alas.

Here is today's plan so far:

January 24th – Easy Extra

B – Black coffee, mushrooms, onions, garlic tomatoes large potion, scrambled egg with smoked salmon (gorgeous!) 1 slice Weight Watchers Brown Danish bread (HexB) with half a laughing cow Light (HexA)
L – Butternut squash and lentil soup, homemade houmous and salad sandwich (rest of HexB – WW Brown Danish 2 slice), apple and fresh pineapple.
T – Spicy meatballs with a tomato and vegetable sauce and wholewheat spaghetti, side salad.
(using extra lean mince for meatballs)
Snacks: Options drink (2syns)

I haven't planned any snacks in yet but I'll maybe use some syns there, I'll definately have an options drink in the evening.

Can't you buy an Actifry with the windfall?!! Hehee!!

You've got to grab the opportunity to spend quality time with OH when you can!! How lovely to have babysitters and a bit of spare cash all at the same time!! It's a sign!! Going off plan for a night won't break the bank, and you're doing exactly the right thing saving syns for it!! Blimey you lost 13 lb in the first week you can afford to have a night off! That's what this is all about, getting balance in our lives- living it up and indulging on occasions and the rest of the time exercising moderation- a balance I believe the 'never had a weight problem slim people' have inbuilt into them! A friend of mine is 55, has never deviated by more than 1/2 stone apart from when having had her babies. She says that if she gets to a certain weight (1/2 stone over her 'perfect' weight, she automatically cuts back until she gets back to the 'perfect' weight again! It's that simple and logical for her!! I can't wait to be in that situation where I just allow myself a few pounds to play with! I wonder whether I'll ever adopt that same logic or whether I'll always have an inbuilt compulsive/dysfunctional/irrational relationship with food and weight!! X

i'm away this weekend too but bringing the kids :) nervous about the sw but plan on swimming and gym :)

Mmmm spicy meatballs, Nommy!

They were so good, I may have had a little too much spaghetti (I do love spaghetti not sure why I like it more than other pasta but I do). Plenty of veggies in the sauce and salad as well though.

I was out at a friend's this morning and after doing children's homework with them and playing games with my 3 year old have run out of time. Just done an hours research and now I have a commission to complete for tomorrow a spelling test and tutorial on suffixes to organise for Thursday. I have had very little time to cook today but that's ok. Here is today's plan - it will need some alterations I'm sure but so far:

January 25th – Easy Extra

B – Green tea, banana, fresh pineapple
L - (at a friend’s house) sweet potato and lentil soup, banana (I’m not sure how much oil was used in the soup but she says very little I’m going to call it half syn to be on the safe side although it was a small bowl)
T – Quorn peppered fillets, cous cous and chickpeas large mixedsalad. – Very busy today have a ton of things to do; commission and some tutorials to plan. Was going to cook but was out half the day and then super busy.
S – 6 wholewheat crackerbread (HexB) and Laughing cow light ( HexA), Options drink, Drifter (1 finger ones) (5syns)
Syns: 7 and ½

Last edited:
Hope you get a chance to put your feet up tonight!

Are you thinking of getting the Davina DVD? After Funcurls' posts I've decided to invest! We should have a Davina thread :) xx

LittleSausage said:
Hope you get a chance to put your feet up tonight!

Are you thinking of getting the Davina DVD? After Funcurls' posts I've decided to invest! We should have a Davina thread :) xx

Ooh I'm such a trendsetter hehe! X

I am seriously busy again today. It seems like there isn't enough time in the day.

On a positive note I ordered the Davina Body Buff DVD from Amazon and that should be here next week. So I'll start that then.

Today - snacks weren't brilliant, not off plan, just could have been better, more balanced. Here we go though:

January 26th – Easy Extra
B – Black coffee, mushrooms, onions, garlic tomatoes large potion, scrambled egg with smoked salmon, 1 slice Weight Watchers Brown Danish bread (part HexB) with half a laughing cow Light (part HexA)

L – Spicy butternut squash and lentil soup. Salad and laughing cow sandwich (HexA+B), fresh pineapple and a mullerlight yoghurt

T – quorn fillet, (lots of)stir fry veg, noodles, chilli, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, apple

S – 4 wholewheat crackerbread (4 syns)with laughing cow (HexA), Mug shot (chicken), banana *embarrassed* I should have eaten more fruit . Options drink (2syns)

Syns: 6 - bearing in mind I am going out Saturday night.

Red Riding Hood said:
I am seriously busy again today. It seems like there isn't enough time in the day.

On a positive note I ordered the Davina Body Buff DVD from Amazon and that should be here next week. So I'll start that then.

Today - snacks weren't brilliant, not off plan, just could have been better, more balanced. Here we go though:

January 26th - Easy Extra
B - Black coffee, mushrooms, onions, garlic tomatoes large potion, scrambled egg with smoked salmon, 1 slice Weight Watchers Brown Danish bread (part HexB) with half a laughing cow Light (part HexA)

L - Spicy butternut squash and lentil soup. Salad and laughing cow sandwich (HexA+B), fresh pineapple and a mullerlight yoghurt

T - quorn fillet, (lots of)stir fry veg, noodles, chilli, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, apple

S - 4 wholewheat crackerbread (4 syns)with laughing cow (HexA), Mug shot (chicken), banana *embarrassed* I should have eaten more fruit . Options drink (2syns)

Syns: 6 - bearing in mind I am going out Saturday night.

Nice! And that soup sounds lovely! You've been excellent every day, so don't worry about one day of not having enough fruit. I bet with the breakfast veg, soup and stirfry you've had plenty superfree food! X

I've weighed Nicola (and thanks so much for thinking of me :D) I lost 3lb. Am feeling a bit meh about it all right now. Not sure why and am really nervous about going out this weekend.

Here is today so far and the plan for tonight's meal:

January 27th – Easy Extra

B – Black coffee, mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes, 2 quorn sausage, egg, beans
L – Butternut squash and lentil soup. Homemade houmus with carrot, peppers, cauliflower crudities. A satsuma
T – Turkey and red pepper burger with bulgar wheat with tomato and stir fried mange tout, baby corn and pepper and Broccoli. extra low fat mayo with chilli (1syn) mixed with fat free fromage frais to spread it out.
Snacks - Options drink (2syns), Alpen Light bar (HexB)

Syns - 3 syns

Last edited:
Woohoo! Well done you! A whole stone in 2 weeks is brilliant! xxx

Red Riding Hood said:
I've weighed Nicola (and thanks so much for thinking of me :D) I lost 3lb. Am feeling a bit meh about it all right now. Not sure why and am really nervous about going out this weekend.

Ah thrilled for u absolutely well done that's fAntastic

Ya I'm v nervous too :( I'll email u later ;)

I was just going to have fruit for breakfast today but when I came in from the school run I was really hungry so I changed it. Had a late lunch so I'm not sure about tea now ...

This is what I had written out for today anyway:

January 28th – Easy Extra
B – Was going to just have fruit but I was really hungry when I came back from dropping off the kids. So I had a lean bacon, onion and mushroom omelette I dotted 1 Laughing Cow triangle on it too as part of my HexA. Then I had an apple and Satsuma to bring up the superfree. – well not just for that I was hungry!

L –Some of the bulgar wheat left over from yesterday with spring onions, radish, spinach leaves, tomatoes, lettuce and tuna. Banana and a Shape zero yoghurt.

T – Quorn peppered fillet, garlic and herb pasta n sauce (wholegrain) made with 2 Laughing Cow triangles and water and lots of salad. Extra light mayo with fromage frais and chilli (2syns)

S - Options drink (2syns) Alpen Light (HexB)

Syns: 4 - will be off plan tomorrow evening so have deliberately kept my syns low this week in preparation.

Last edited:
It's kind of like a cross between rice and cous cous. I used a little stock and a little Thai seven spice in the water I cooked it in (you kind of rehydrate it like cous cous) and then ran a load of veggies through it. I'd forgotten how much I like it. I'm converted!

Hmmm I fell aslepp earlier (the kids are off to their granny's) so the tea is more of a convenience - will alter in due course.

Back