Red's food diary - advice very gratefully received

We should have a syns competition... 9.5 for me today!
How are you doing?

We should have a syns competition... 9.5 for me today!
How are you doing?

:p Crap

look:

January 19th – Extra Easy
B – black coffee, apple, banana
L – left over stirfry veg and left over noodles, half a salmon fillet (all left over from Monday)bowl of spinach leaves with it. Cup of spicy parsnip soup – soup is superfree veg only.
T – pork stir fry*, big bag stir fry veg plus additional broccoli, baby sweetcorn, mange tout, spring greens, spring onions. (soy sauce ginger, chilli and garlic) Rice or noodles, fresh pineapple and a muller yoghurt
Snacks: Alpen light bar (HexB), Options drink (2syns)
Syns: had tsp honey in lemsip (1syn) *used a seasoning in this which contained coconut powder didn’t use loads and have used no syns so am over-cautiously synning it at 2syns just in case)
5 so far

so what do you think should I go for the kit-kat for an extra 5.5? and some, wait for it ... cough syrup :rolleyes: - I have a cold and sore throat. So that would be another 1.5 or something.

I had the kit-kat 10.5 syns total (personal best ... I'm sure that will change ;) )

Last edited:
Hi Red Riding Hood, thanks for the message on my diary. Good luck with your weightloss hopefully over the next couple of years we can keep in contact and monitor eachothers' progress! X

Absolutely - we have the same to lose so I'll keep popping on to see you on your diary and lend support. Have you decided on a plan yet Balboa. On slimming world we have a great Lots to Loose thread and everyone there is so supportive.

Red Riding Hood said:
:p Crap

look:

January 19th - Extra Easy
B - black coffee, apple, banana
L - left over stirfry veg and left over noodles, half a salmon fillet (all left over from Monday)bowl of spinach leaves with it. Cup of spicy parsnip soup - soup is superfree veg only.
T - pork stir fry*, big bag stir fry veg plus additional broccoli, baby sweetcorn, mange tout, spring greens, spring onions. (soy sauce ginger, chilli and garlic) Rice or noodles, fresh pineapple and a muller yoghurt
Snacks: Alpen light bar (HexB), Options drink (2syns)
Syns: had tsp honey in lemsip (1syn) *used a seasoning in this which contained coconut powder didn't use loads and have used no syns so am over-cautiously synning it at 2syns just in case)
5 so far

so what do you think should I go for the kit-kat for an extra 5.5? and some, wait for it ... cough syrup :rolleyes: - I have a cold and sore throat. So that would be another 1.5 or something.

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon!
Your food looks great today! I had 9.5 syns in about 2 hours today! That's a lot when my syns last week totalled about 15... I say, go for the kitkat. It's totally a comfort food, which may make you feel a little better. Plus, that wouldn't exactly make you bad! You'll probably find you need that little bit extra when you're feeling grotty.

Also, I wouldn't count the cough syrup. If you did that, I'd have to start counting syns for every ibuprofen (they're all sugar coated!) I have!

Really hope you feel better soon x

Hey Red, no not decided on a plan yet. Not sure whether to wait for abit and try the general healthy eating with a bit of exercise. Also not sure I'm confident enough to go to a group yet!

I'm doing Slimming World from home Balboa, cant afford a weekly group right now.

All my worrying I was eating too much on this plan becasue I wasn't finding it difficult, I was so stressed I wasn't going to lose anything well...drumroll...

I lost 13lbs - amazing, first week so probably a lot of water there but still it means it is working and I'm feeling really positive about Slimming World. :D

I did have a kit-kat last night so I'm editing it on to yesterday's diary 10.5 syns in total.

Today so far:
January 20th – Extra Easy

B – black coffee, green tea, apple , fresh pineapple
L – Small amount left over stir fry veg couple of bits of stirfry strips of pork. Spicy parsnip soup.

You're doing brilliantly so far - great loss - well done!! :banana dancer:

13lbs is brillian Red, well done! Slimming World sounds almost too good to be true. I will have a look online at it and look at the state of play with my current eating habits come the end of my first week!

Red Riding Hood said:
I'm doing Slimming World from home Balboa, cant afford a weekly group right now.

All my worrying I was eating too much on this plan becasue I wasn't finding it difficult, I was so stressed I wasn't going to lose anything well...drumroll...

I lost 13lbs - amazing, first week so probably a lot of water there but still it means it is working and I'm feeling really positive about Slimming World. :D

Wow red well done that's absolutely fantastic fair play to u

Thank you everyone :D

this is today in full:

January 20th – Extra Easy

B – black coffee, green tea, apple , fresh pineapple
L – small amount left over stir fry veg couple of bits of stirfry strips of pork. Spicy parsnip soup.
T- Turkey and butternut squash stew containing coconut milk (4.5syn for the entire curry) (with peppers, mangetout, broccoli, babycorn) and rice, Satsuma
The curry spilit into 3 helpings 1 leftover- so syns work out at 2syns (on the safe, side per portion)
Snack: Alpen lights (HexB) Options drink (2syns) 2ryvita (3syns) laughing cow (HexB)
Syns: 7
Ok operation 'up the syns' in force tomorrow :D

eta: I've added on some syns from ryvita last night.

Last edited:
WHOA!!! thats amazing!!! dont forget to get your half stone sticker from the sw off topic sticky!!

Mind you my OH has lost over a stone in just under 3 weeks and I cant believe it, she is so lucky she always loses fast at first lucky devil!

It probably slows down for her though, I'm sure it will for me, is she doing SW too? I expect things will be much more steady from now on for me. I'll get my sticker :D

Edited my syns for last night I had 7 in the end.

Today so far

January 21st – Extra Easy

B – black coffee, 1 quorn sausage, beans, 1 bacon medallion, egg in fry light and large portion of tomatoes, mushroom and spring onions and garlic. Fresh pineapple
L – Spicy butternut squash and lentil soup.

Really enjoyed my breakfast! Love the combination of the garlic mushroom, cherry tomatoes and spring onion done in frylight together.

Today in full:

January 21st – Green

B – black coffee, 1 quorn sausage, beans, 1 bacon medallion (2syns), egg in fry light and large portion of tomatoes, mushroom and spring onions and garlic. Fresh pineapple
L – Spicy butternut squash and lentil soup. Small pot homemade houmous lots of carrot sticks, muller light and a banana.
T – Quorn chilli with jacket potato and salad. banana

Snack – wholemeal roll (HexB) with homemade houmous and tomatoes, Options drink (2syns), Alpen light bar (HexB)
Syns: 4

I desperately need to buy more fruit I only have bananas and a few grapes left. I changed today to green too and synned the bacon this morning. I hope I've synned it correctly but even if I haven't I'm not anywhere near the 15syn limit.

It probably slows down for her though, I'm sure it will for me, is she doing SW too? I expect things will be much more steady from now on for me. I'll get my sticker :D

Yeah she is, she jokes to her mates that I stand over her with a stick lol.

It does indeed slow down for her, then she averages out to 1-2Ib's a week. Thats what she did last time anyway.

Oooo lookie at ya purdy sticker!!

Hi RRH, only just stumbled across your diary so apols for lack of input when you wanted it in the beginning!! Looks like you're really getting into the swing of it!! It's very common for people to be scared to use their syns when they first start because it's hard to believe we can eat the 'naughtier' things and lose weight, just like a lot of people don't eat enough because of their belief that diets mean eating little!! Once you start seeing regular great losses (and you will!!!) you'll get more confident and comfortable using your syn allowance! Your meals look fantastic and it really does look like you're getting plenty of superfree!! X

PS just saw your first loss!!! Astonishingly brilliant!! Wow that's proof enough that what you're doing is working!! Now have your syns- you'll still get good losses but will enjoy the plan more by allowing yourself little treats! Stone award next week for you !!X

Thanks so much for visiting now funcurls, nice to see you :D. I am eating lots and I do plan to try and use more syns in my cooking. The half fat coconut milk may feature a like it in curries and I can't find any coconut essence. Will have to buy some online I think so I can try Silvermane's Thai recipe.

I didn't do syns well today I'm afraid. We went to Asda and took the kids to the park. The nearest Asda is quite a distance from our house and it was to stock up on some SW friendly things so now I have plenty of things in the house and a load more fruit and veg - yay! We st off this morning and didn't get back until tea time. So today's food diary is a bit of a mish-mash. I had a good breakfast as I knew that would happen and for tea I had leftovers from two other meals in the week. Didn't fit many syns in though. I'm still to have my options drink and I'll have an Alpen Light bar with that as a HexB. but I'm not hungry so I'm not going to eat and syn something for the sake of it.

I've been using the Alpen bars as a HexB a lot this week. I think I'm going to try and not do that as much this week. Have got some suitable bread and wholewheat crackerbread as well as Ryvita's.

Here is today:

January 22nd – Extra Easy
Sort of breakfast/brunch as we are going out and I won’t be able to pick up a sandwich etc.
B – Black coffee, 2 bacon medallions, light choice beans, 2 quorn sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, spring onions and garlic and an egg done in frylight.
L – banana and Satsuma
T – Mix of leftovers – small bowl leftover turkey and butternut squash curry and rice(2syns), and quorn and veggie chilli with a potato. Satsumas, grapes (both meals contained a lot of veg)
S- Options drink (2syns), Alpen Light bar (HexB)
Syns: 4

I have to say I was happy with just the fruit for my lunch after that breakfast and I wasn't starving by the time I got in for tea so I didn't feel deprived of lunch, it was just right.

January 23rd – Extra Easy
B – Black coffee, 2 quorn sausages, 1 egg in frylight, beans, mushrooms, spring onions and tomatoes, a satsuma
L – Butternut squash and lentil soup
T – Chicken, potatoes roasted in frylight, carrots broccoli, gravy (1syn), Bowl of fresh fruit: apple, grapes, pineapple, banana sprinkled with Canderel mixed with cinnamon
Snack – Options drink (2syns) , Alpen Light bar (HexB)
Syns: 3 (or 8.5 if I have a kit-kat hmmm decisions...)

The fruit with cinnamon mixed with canderel and sprinkled over was really yummy.

Edit: No Kit-Kat = 3 syns

Last edited:
Those breakfasts sound really yummy!! Right up my street! I recently bought an Actifry and it cooks Quorn sausages to perfection- I find them hard to get right using a pan or grill! The Actifry browns them nicely all over! Looks like you're really getting into the plan and great to see you using some syns for treats like Options hot choc, gravy and kit-kat ( You DID have the kit-kat I hope....)X

Back