RElationship between weight and clothes size...

Uphillstruggle

Hi,

I know this has been posted a few times before but I wondered if anyone would mind posting their current weight and dress size. I read in an earlier post that the differences between sizes becomes less (in terms of weight) as you lose more. I am 11stone 5lbs at the moment and am comfortably fitting into a size 14. I want to get to a stage where I am comfortably into a size 10 but I have no idea what weight that will be in order to set a target. I think maybe 9.5 stone?

I am 5ft5 so very average in terms of height.

Thanks,
:)

Currently I'm 16st 2lbs and a size 20/22 (although my work trousers and jeans are very loose!) and I'm 5'3" Ideally I'd like to be a size 14/16 which I'm guessing will be around 14 stone but I know that'll put me over my healthy BMI, the more I read all the posts though the more I think maybe I'll be in the twelves and a 14 which would be great!!

But I'm really confused by it all

Helen

Currently I'm 16st 2lbs and a size 20/22 (although my work trousers and jeans are very loose!) and I'm 5'3"

I think this goes to show it's very individual and depends also on where the weight is distributed.

I'm 5' 2" and 14st 11lb. I have to wear a size 20 because a large proportion of my weight is concentrated around my tummy. Size 20 tops hang off my shoulders ... and size 20 trousers are baggy around the bum and legs but both are needed to fit around my middle - it's very frustrating! :(

hi
i'm about 5'9 and weigh just over 14 and a half stone i am about a size 18 on the bottem and depending on what i am wearing on top can vary between 16-20 stupid boobs trying to get a shirt is a nightmare. Would ideally like to be a size 10/12 so hoping about 10.5 stone would do this

Hi uphillstruggle, I am 5'5'' too. When I was 11.5 I was nowhere near a 14! My jeans are size 12 (Next, fairly skinny fit, 8 years old so high waist[bought to slim into!!:D]) and they are just right now I'm under 9 stone. However I need size 10 for many things in some shops. Just bought a pair of Next linen trousers (charity shop!) in a size 10 and they are almost roomy. I have thin legs and not much bottom - much bigger tummy and bust. I have booked myself in for a course of Pilates - hope this will help sort out my tummy!

Size/weight is a mystery to me; people of similar height seem to be size 12 at a weight where I am size 16. I am extremely small frame and apple shaped - maybe that is a factor? I would say hope this helps - but it probably won't! All I can say is keep going and all will become clear. My LLC reckons that ideally you should get to the weight you're happy with before starting management and I'm glad I did - I wouldn't like to be thinking I need to lose weight while reintroducing food - just extra pressure. So maybe have a fairly flexible target?

I am currently 12st 11lb and am 5'5" and a 16 or occasional 14.
When I was 9.5 stone I was still a size 12 because of my boobs and my hips but I did have very baggy waist bands.
I lot depends on where you shop. At that weight I was a 10 in the more expensive shops but definitely a 12 in Topshop etc.

I am 5 foot 6, and am just starting to get back into my size 14 clothes at 12 stone. I am wearing size 14 fat face jeans at the moment, which are a little saggy around the butt now, although I think fat face does always come up a little bit big. I have some size 14 Oasis jeans which I can get on but leave me with a bit of a muffin top, so I think another week or two and they will fit me ok.

I remember when I was 18 I was a size 12 and weighed 10 1/2 stone. My goal is to get below 10 stone this time, so not sure if I will be a 10 or a 12. I think my body has changed shape since then as I have had a baby, so will have to wait and see!

I'm 5' 4. At my heaviest 16st 1lb I was a 20/22 (though in denial, I was sqeezing into 18/20's...my clothes were literaly busting at the seems!) Now, at 12 and a half stone I'm a size 15! lol. Alot of my 16's are falling down and looking ridiculously baggy yet most 14's are too tight. hmph! :)

Uphill,

It totally depends on your frame size so you can't really compare yourself with other people..
For instance I weigh 10,13 and am a size 10/12 Im only about 5ft3 but my frame size is L/XL!
My friend Jen is the same height same weight but is a size 14-16 as her frame size is S...

Last edited:
I'm officially having the worst wardrobe crisis ever! I'm 15st this week and 5ft 7. Bought a size 14 dress this week and it fits perfectly, the 16 was too big on top. Am a 16 in jeans too, but it depends on the cut. But even when I was 19st 7 I never wore bigger than a size 20 on the bottom - which is really weird but have never carried a lot of weight on my bottom half, well, compared to other bits of me!
I agree with Pixie, it's pretty impossible to compare yourself to anyone else due to frame size and where/how we carry weight. And as for the inconsistency around clothes sizes - what a nightmare!

What I have learned is that buying smaller sizes just now is not the answer for me. I'm getting into them but they don't always look right! What I've learned is to not buy until I am actually that size and then I can see if it's flattering to my new and emerging shape! So many tunic/shift style stuff out there just now and I'm finding that sometimes whilst the smaller size may fit, it just does nothing for me and is shapeless.
If nothing else i'm saving myself a lot of money!! I've instilled a clothes shopping ban on myself for the next month (which is soooo tough!)

I'm 5ft 5ish and 12st 8 at the moment and I'm almost a 14 (my boobs are huge though so I'm more of a 16 up top) I've just bought a designer coat that's a 12 which fits me perfectly buttoned up so relying on sizing is a bit useless!

Odd that my size 14 skirt is far too large for me but I look weird in size 14 trousers.

The thing is, dress sizes have changed dramatically in the last 10 years. When I was 11st in 1992 I barely fitted into a 14.

I remember when a perfect 10 was 34 24 34 - now that's a size 6 in some shops.

At 18st I was a size 22-24. but someone else in my group who is taller than me and started off at 15st started out at a size 20.

Back