Running help needed - urgently

Cardiovascular fitness takes time and a lot of effort. Plenty of water helps too. Good on you for giving it a good stab and not falling at the first hurdle because it gets difficult xx

What someone said about breathing into your stomach is good advice. I find if i get like you did I need to focus and pull good hard long breaths, rather than letting my mind race.

I think it is the deep breaths from my stomach that i found hard to get, but after slowing it down slightly i found that i could get those breaths.

Reactions: Kes
Hi
i used to run with a friend who ran a lot faster than me but we had an understanding that i would catch up (she had to stop, were as i carried on most of the time)
i found it easier to breathe when i gave myself a rhythm so...
in for 4 steps out for 4 steps, this helped with mostly everything as when i realised where i was i was shocked at how far i had come, having been busy concentrating on breathing, helped me to concentrate on breathing in through my mouth (which helped the coughing etc)
give it a go next time and let me know how you get on xxx

The main thing is to relax. If you can relax, not panic about your breathing and take each stride as it comes you will be fine. Focus your sight straight ahead, don't think of the distance, or how much its hurting you etc just focus on a point in the distance and run :) Best way xx

will try both the 4 steps in and 4 steps out and also to focus on the road ahead rather than whats going on with me.
i have a run tomorrow morning of 1 minute walk and 4 mins running x6. will let you know how i get on.
thanks for all your support.

ooohhh this thread had been really helpful. as i too am just starting out running (doing the C25k) and my breathing is what stops me from continuing... i will slow it down next time (rather than focus on how far i will get by the end..)

thank you

ooohhh this thread had been really helpful. as i too am just starting out running (doing the C25k) and my breathing is what stops me from continuing... i will slow it down next time (rather than focus on how far i will get by the end..)

thank you

your piccies are great. what a change.

Tried the 4 breaths in and out business, could manage the 4 counts in, but couldnt manage the 4 out, just started coughing, but i will continue trying.

Yep, keep trying :)
Afterall, the super star athletics didn't become one over night. It all takes practice and practice makes perfect :D x

your piccies are great. what a change.

thank you. thats really sweet of you..

i tried the slowing right down, and focusing on my breathing rather than my distance travelled... and i did pretty good. very chuffed with myself :)

I am nervous as i have my week 4 tonight and i don't know what run i will be doing until i get there.

yes i do go at my own pace, which isn't much faster than my energetic walk to be honest.

Theres nothing wrong with that :) x

I am dead slow too! But at least I am doing it and my heart rate is up!
I breathe in and out count of 4 too and occasionally do a huge in and fast hard breathe out, like blowing out a candle. I read that is helps your diaphragm to move about and stop you getting a stitch .... X

Went running last night. We did 1min walk and 6 mins running x 5. I ran with another lady who is slow like me but seems to have got her breathing good, so i copied her (most of the time), but on my third run i had a pain at the back of my knee but i ignored it and tried to stretch it on the walk, and then towards of run 4 something pinged, it was like an elastic band flicked me. I continued with the run and did it all, but my leg is sore.
Anyone know if it is just a pull that feels like that, it is behind my knee, just below the crease when you bend your knee.

I'm no expert but it does sound like you have pulled your hamstring... try and do more during the day to stretch it out.. try stretching them every half hour for 30 seconds

But if the pain is still there please go see your Dr.

And defo don't continue exercising on an injury you will only make it worse! x

i have pretty much rested it today, only done minimal walking at work. it does hurt but isnt very painful, if that makes sense, it's more annoying.
i dont think that i will go jogging in the morning. i think that i will wait until thursday and see how it is. dont want to give up running club as there are only two weeks left after this week.
i have two homework runs.
the first is 1min walk and 6 mins run x 5.
the second homework is 5mins brisk walk, followed by 8mins jog and 1 min walk x 4. so not too energetic.

Back