Running/Marathon training questions

Lili

How long does ittake to train for a marathon? i decided to do it and had my heart set on the 2010 london marathon but after speaking to a few people they dont seem to think that will give me enuf training time.
i can comfortably run 5k (maybe a little further) and run for at least 30 mins 3/4 times a week... so guess i have already started training just need to build up more and more. is it hard to get accepted for the london marathon?
is it also ok to run everyday, cos i have only been running for about 3 months i wonder if i cud do it now - just worried about burning myself out or getting shin splnts and not giving my body enuf 'rest time'

sorry this is full of questions! hope some one can help me out!

thanks so much

Hi there - get yourself a marathon training schedule from the internet - loads on there if you google it.

I would reckon that if you are running 3-4 times a week you should be able to do the 2010 marathon.

I trained for a half marathon in about 3 months - and I am told that distance is easier to add than speed so as long as you are not looking to win it....you should be fine.

Rosie xx

Thanks Rosie! i think i'll just apply and if i get in then that's that, i'll just have to do it! and congrats on ur half marathon!!

My ex boyfriend ran in the 2007 marathon, he started training in the sept 06 then gradually increasing the amount of time he ran, so sure you can do it if you get in hun

If you want to improve then try and add on and extra couple of minutes on some days but if you are running on the next day after a big run then try running only 2/3's on what you did on the previous day e.g 40 mins one day followed by 25 mins on the next day. I would also suggest you to take two days rest e.g. Sunday and a Thursday and just run in between them. Also mix up your speed after a couple of weeks to keep challenging your body.

Thanks, yeah i think i'll set a few days as rest days and then work inbetween and vary the time and speed, at the mo i am just out for 45 mins 30 mins running same route and speed etc so ur advise helps!
thanks!

Have you applied yet hun? i did my ballot entry but don't find out till October, but the site has good training programmes to follow:D

For beginnners it takes about 26 weeks to train for marathon distances...I am using this time scale to train for an indoor rowing marathon...I didn't do it just gone but am doing my own in the gym come August or so...that is if my running and everything is up to speed for my half marathon come September...you can train in 3 months if speed is not your main concern...

Running every day is not advisable...at least one to two rest days per week are the norm for any sport or fitness regime.

I've not applied for London Marathon, that might be a job for next year too, if I have the money. One thing that might be worth a try is looking at different marathon events, there'll be other more local, cheaper ones than FLM. You'll definitely get in them too, there's a massive surge of enteries for FLM every year, which is why it's sometimes difficult to get in.

Training wise, I wouldn't recommend running everyday, and as I rule I never used to. Now, as a new rule, I never run more than two days in a row :rolleyes: But my Father in Law - a fell runner and ultra marathon runner - runs 2 - 3 times a day, and covers about 70 - 100 miles per week. He's never had any running related problems, which for a guy pushing 60 and still running up mountains is pretty awesome! It depends who you talk to, really.

As far as increasing distance, either do it in half mile increases per week or add an extra 15 minutes training, and by the end of the month you'll have added an extra 3/4 miles into the training, and gained an extra hour's worth of stamina.

Good luck!

Bron

Back