Russian Doll------Porridge

I got my psyllium husks today and now i know how to make it. yayyyy! thanks.x

ok guys, updated version of porrige.

Just whizzed up my shake as normal in 400mls very hot water but this time in my big bowl i put the psyllium husks (2 heaped dessert spoons) first, then i added the shake while stirring it in with a fork and then left it for a few swconds to thicken. i liked the texture better than sprinkling it on top and then stirring, and it was funny as you could see it kept on expanding as i was eating it.

Sorry if everyone is bored by now with talk of porridge, i know i need to go and get a life!

Davina

I've bought my Psyllium Husks and made my first batch of porridge yesterday. I'm a happy girl, for me it did taste like porridge and was really filling. This will be perfect for breakfast and will set me up for the day!

I can't believe you can make so many things out of powder! x

Erm..not too sure about the elasticity!!! It was looking good and then it got tooooo gooey - to the point where it was sliding off of the spoon and almost made me sick. yuk! I had to bin it (waste of a pack and PH). Is there a trick? Like, don't stir it too much? Or eat as quick as you can? (cause it continues to thicken on it's own) or put in less of the Psyllium Husk? Help! 'Cause I would really love to be able to have it for breakfast every day.

Cheers in advance!x

Well.....I'm trying to eat my first bowl of Toffee and Walnut porrige. I agree with Trini...it's very thick and very very slimy. I doubt that I'll be able to eat all of it. I think we may have put too much of the husks in.

It'll be good to hear what others have to say.

Slimy porrige could be due to the water being too hot (use very hot water ... not boiling) or too much of the husk powder. You could also be 'whisking' or beating it too much. You should only stir it about until it starts to become thick ... sort of like medium to thin-ish semolina. It will thicken more even as you eat it.

You can have PH on sole source as it's carb and cal free (remember - only the pure husks ... NOTHING added like pro-biotics) and there's no reason why you can't have it a couple of times on 790 too ... it's totally indigestible so won't interfere with anything.

Don't forget you can use it to thicken soups too. Same routine :)

I know we're supposed drink plenty of water on a VLCD but when taking psyllium husks, make absolutely sure you do drink plenty - PH is dependant on lots of water to swell them up so that they can 'do their thing' inside you.

Thanks for the reply Russiandoll. I'll try again tomorrow.

I was thinking that tomorrow i'll try with a soup.

I'll let you know how it goes.

just having my first go at chocolate porridge......lets see how it turns out!

well. what can i say!? my first attempt was a disaster! too hot water and too many husks.....went really really gooey...husband nearly killed himself laughing as i tried to eat while it was sliding off my spoon.! :D :sigh:
and so attempt 2....much better. think i have just about got it right. Im half way through a bowl and im absolutly stuffed!

Thanks for posting this thread......

Back