Step 1 Sole Source + Ruthlet's Road to being a loser!

Hey Ruthlet!

Well done!:happy036:You are doing fab!! It's such an awesome feeling when your clothes start getting looser! I unpacked my summer clothes this week and most fit but there is a small pile which nearly fits, but just not yet. I've decided that's my next goal...not just to get to the next stone down but to fit in those comfortably in a month's time! Today is 4 weeks for me too! I have been 100% and am very proud of myself. Have lost 4.4lb this week, very happy!:) That makes 19lbs lost in 4 weeks. I'll take that:D

I'm hoping to lose 2-3lb this week but have TOTM looming:rolleyes:

Let us know how you got on at your WI at your consultant. Here's to the next 4 weeks for us!:girlpower:

19lbs in 4 weeks :eek: that's amazing Pink Tulip!

Official WI was 5 &1/2lb off for the two weeks :) I am going by my home WI's for my ticker and records but it is nice to have my CDC weight checks to keep me grounded.

It was my first shift back at work after 11 days off today........harsh, very very harsh. I am so tired now, I need to have another pack before bed but I am struggling to keep my eyes open let alone consume food-goods.

Onwards & downwards!

Well done Ruthlet! Great loss:D! Good luck for the week ahead x

You ladies are doing great!! So much positive energy going on!!! Xx

Well done Ruthlet!!

My home weigh-ins never match my official ones either. I swear I hear my scales sniggering sometimes, and think they just pluck a weight out of mid-air and say I weigh that. Sneaky little beggars. :)

WI results week 5

Its Sunday which means WI day for me. In case I haven't said before, have decided to track my weight and losses as per my scales at home rather than using my CDC's as once I am maintaining it will be my home scales I will be referring to anyway.

I honestly never know what to expect when I step on the scales each week. If I have been faithful to plan I hope for a 2lb loss and think that a 3/4lb loss would be a fantastic result. Looking at my weekly results in my signature you can see how variable the results can be.
Soooooooooooooo you can imagine my shock and surprise when I hopped on this morning and the scales showed, wait for it........................................... 5lb off :banana dancer: I was so taken aback I had to weigh myself another 5 times on different places around the floor in case the scales were fibbing ;).

So all in all, a great return for my 100% effort this week :D I'm now under 15 stone SCORE!

Woohooo, fantastic!!!!

Psst, you haven't put a minus sign in front of your 5lbs. Which sounds really pedantic, sorry! But you should make sure the whole world knows you did so brilliantly!

:talk017:

Wahoooooooooooooo!!! :gen126:

So the week ahead........... decisions, decisions...........warning I am going to talk about food now....... food that is forbidden while on the lower CWP. I wanted to make it clear from the outset of the post in case you don't want to read about it.

Next Saturday one of my very dear friends is having her 40th birthday party. It is a vintage tea party which I have been helping her organise since last year. The menu will be exclusively carbs...... lots and lots of sugary carbs :nono:sandwiches, scones, cream and multiple kinds of cake. Now I know it is my presence she wants, but I know she will be quite upset if I don't join in with any eating. I am feeling so well on plan at the moment; full of energy, my skin looks fab, I don't have bloating or stomach cramps etc and it is only in the last couple of weeks my body seems to have fully engaged with what I am doing and started showing the epic losses on the scales that you hope for when you do CWP.
I am so conflicted . Part of me wants to abstain from joining in with the food and part of me wants to join in :devilangel: While on my CD journey in 2007 I did have one planned weekend off for a family wedding and successfully went back on plan afterwards but I was much further along in my journey than I am this time around.

Plus, I have been doing a lot of thinking, reflecting and reading about being overweight, overeating and how my maintenance strategy is going to look this time around. I have always known that I am fairly intolerant to wheat and legumes and avoided these like the plague while maintaining the last time - If I eat them I suffer with awful stomach cramps, bloating and gain weight eating portions that would not cause gains for most other people if they matched what I was eating. Off the back of my reflections and reading I think I might actually be really sensitive to refined sugar, gluten and possibly, maybe all grains :( When I don't have these things I am fine and I don't crave them (in your face reeses pieces!), don't get me wrong they are tempting. But if I abstain completely and put them out of sight I get over the temptation pretty quickly. Some people's perception of maintenance seems to be that you can eat whatever you want in moderation, and I'm sure for some people this may be true. Not for me though. When I think back to when I was maintaining I avoided wheat products like the devil and was quite strict with my overall sweet treats and carbs too, my husband even reminded him that I once told him that I can't eat like other people do and not get fat again. That I believed I would always have to guard myself against the addictive nature of certain foods and the best way to do this was by avoiding them in the first place. Just to explain a bit more, I can't have just 1 biscuit (I eat the whole packet), I can't have 1 slice of the fresh bread (I eat the whole thing), I can't have one piece or bar of chocolate as I never feel sated. I have the intention of having just one of these things but once I've started I cave completely and feel like a rabid animal and want to scratch my own skin off if I can't keep shovelling whatever I've started eating into my mouth :eek: This has always bemused me as how can someone like me, who abstained from conventional food for 6 months previously to lose weight, not have the willpower to just have one biscuit and leave the rest in the packet :confused: IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!!!!!!

I found a great blog the other day called 'Refuse to Regain' by Barbara Berkeley. There is an article there about the addictive nature of certain foods which really rang true for me. She suggests that, biologically/genetically, some of us are more sensitive to starchy carbohydrates (grains, rice, potatoes, sugar etc) than others and because of this some people can eat them occasionally with no problem while others of us can't. She lists the following questions to ask yourself:

Does your hunger tail off dramatically when you eliminate Starchy Foods and resume powerfully when you reintroduce even small amounts?
Do you repeatedly find yourself eating more and more Starchy Foods after you’ve reintroduced them, despite all intentions of limiting your intake?
Do you feel a strong need to eat these foods after you’ve stopped them?
Have you noticed that eating those supposedly healthy whole grains makes you hungry?
Do you feel a sense of freedom when you “get off” these foods and a sense of disappointment when you give in to them again?
- See more at: The Addictive Power of Food - Refuse To Regain

^^^^^ THIS IS TOTALLY ME!!!! ^^^^^^

I have the best intentions, but the moment I give in and have 'just one' it all goes Pete Tong :sigh: Right now, being totally off these sorts of foods I don't want or crave them - my husband and our eldest daughter sat beside me on the sofa the other day having fish and chips and then snacked on chocolate and jelly sweets and I was quite happy sipping my water.

Realistically, I know that when I get back to my goal weight range this time that in order to maintain I need to severely limit &/or abstain from these kinds of foods day to day. When I first came to this conclusion the other day I felt pretty bummed out. Then I remembered that back when I was maintaining before it was not actually that bad - I fell off the maintenance wagon following some really traumatic events in my life and turned to food and didn't care about my maintenance strategies anymore. Thinking about how I have felt for the last 4 years while being off the my maintenance plan and the word that comes to mind is MISERY. I know I have actually been depressed which is, of course, going to have been a major factor in my misery. However, since I have got my depression under control it has still felt like I have been under a cloud and I came to the realisation just before I started CWP again that the food I have been eating over the last 4 years makes me feel physically and emotionally drained. CWP cuts out all these kinds of starchy foods on the lower plans and since I've been on plan I have felt so good - poo poo to you misery!

I think moving forward past goal and onto maintenance I am going to have to cut out wheat again and closely monitor sweet treats and carbs again.

Wow - this was meant to be a quick 'what should I do' post :eek: I know what cakes/ bread etc do to me, but I love them and don't want to upset my friend... argghhhhhhhhhh!

Hey Ruthlet, well done on your 5lb loss! That is absolutely fantastic!:happy096:

Gosh, that is a difficult one. I can understand that you want to stay on plan, yet keep your friend happy too. Don't envy you with this decision! If you do decide to come off plan and eat some of the cakes, will you be able to only have a small slice and keep the damage to a minimum? I'm personally not strong enough to do that, once I have something I shouldn't, the flood gates open! I suppose you have to be 100% sure that you won't go totally mad with the cakes etc and that you will be able to get back on plan straight away. Whatever you decide, I am sure it will work out in the end for you.

Good luck for the week ahead! x

If you explained to her how important this health plan is to you and how breaking it even for a couple of hours would be detrimental do you think she would understand? To me personally, having you there should be enough...it shouldn't matter if someone eats one cake, twenty cakes or none at all! It's the people that make the party! But......people can be funny about these things.....

Hey Ruthlet! How did you get on with WI at your consultant's? Have you given any more thought as to what you will do on Saturday at your friend's birthday party? I have been thrown a curve ball myself! We have been told we will have a BBQ at work on Friday:eek:. I have thought about it and will take a piece of chicken breast with me and ask them to BBQ that for me and take some salad from home. My colleagues know I am trying to lose weight (though not by using a VLCD) so to avoid the ambush of questions of why I'm not eating, I'll eat my chicken and salad and hopefully that won't cause too much of a fuss:p. On a brighter note, I lost 3lb this week...YAY:). Next week will be 6 weeks that I have been on plan and half way through my 12 week journey:D! Hope you are well! Onwards and downwards.... x

That's great Pinktuplip! And def the right thing re the BBQ....we're having a BBQ in two weeks time for my dads 70th and it'll be chicken and salad for me also!! Xx

Consultants WI was a pound off :confused: so weird considering the big loss on my scales on Sunday. But then I was busting for the loo when I was weighed & ended up being really poorly last night so I wonder if my body is holding onto water more than usual?

I have a raging case of tonsillitis. I had a headache yesterday morning, then by 7pm last night I had a temperature of 39.6 with shakes & shivers, my tonsils are really inflamed & my lymph nodes in my neck are visibly swollen & painful touch :cry:My fever eventually broke at about 4am but I still feel wretched.

CWP guidance is that I should move up to the higher steps being this unwell, trouble is my tonsils & throat are so inflamed & swollen I find it hard enough swallowing fluids let alone solid food! I made some courgette soup yesterday so I'll have a go with that later.

Well done on your 3lb off Pink Tulip - great stuff. Sounds like a good plan for the BBQ, I love a good chicken salad ;)

Still undecided about the weekend, but right now I have zero appetite anyway :rolleyes: Sorry its all doom & gloom with a big dollop of self pity in casa de Ruthlet today. Boo :(

Thanks Sophiesops! x

Hope you feel better real soon Ruthlet! Nothing worse than being ill and that in summer too. Sending you loads of get well wishes! x

Hope you're feeling a bit better today sweetie? Totally sucks when you're ill :cry:Xxx

Wow, the last 4 days have been blumming awful. The fever came back Wednesday night & I have been completely bedridden since Tuesday night. I went to the doctors yesterday & she said I have a really nasty case of bacterial tonsillitis & has put me on course of antibiotics. The antibiotics have to taken on any empty stomach, not a problem as I can't swallow anything solid anyway :rolleyes:

Today I've managed to have a shower, eat some Greek yoghurt & lay on the sofa rather than in bed - EPIC achievement given the semi-conscious haze of the last few days.

As for the party, I'm too poorly to go :rolleyes: all that fuss & worry for nothing!

Back in a few day when I'm properly on the mend.

Oh hopefully the antibios's will kick in by tomorrow and you'll be feeling a bit brighter.....tonsillitis sucks....I remember having a few bouts of it in quick succession and it makes you so poorly!! Lots of duvet days and sleep and catch up tv! Xxx

WI day week 6 - on the road to recovery

Morning all.

I am so ridiculously happy to say the antibiotics have kicked in!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am by no means fully recovered but, GOOD GRIEF, I feel so much better compared to Thursday. Thank you all for your well wishes, it really does mean a lot :hug99:

Due to the tonsilitis I was so poorly for a few days all I could swallow was water, I couldn't even manage my shakes :( CWP guidance is to follow 1200+ if you are unwell. Great advice, although it took me three hours to eat a tiny piece of cheese :doh: Since Friday I have been eating a small serving of whatever I can manage at the time, three times a day in between my antibiotics, which has most often been full fat greek yoghurt, toast and oven chips :eek: Though yesterday it included cake too :eek: My lovely hubby knew how sad I was to have missed out going to my friends party, so bought me a slice of some gluten free cake from a deli close by. This particular cake and I have been having a calorie-free affair through the window every time I pass for the last 2 months ;) My Mum was over so I went halfers with her, it was lovely but half was plenty - who knew there would be a silver lining for having a shrunken stomach and depleted appetite.

I had a panic weigh in on Thursday morning and was showing a 5lb loss in 4 days :eek: I expected that half of that had to be down to partial dehydration. Since Thursday I have started to feel a bit better each day and have got my water intake back up to normal levels and been eating carbs, so would have expected a few of those 'panic pounds' lost to have jumped back on but this morning the scales are still showing 5lb off :confused:. So 5lb off apparently....

Righty-ho! So the mission for week 7 is to get back to full health! My plan is to wean myself back off the starchy carbs again and build my packs back up to 3 a day. I will add to that 3 meals:
- full fat greek yoghurt in the morning
- eggs for lunch (scrambled/poached on a bed of sauted rocket or a couple of slices of ham, or slimming world crustless quiche)
- protein based salad in the evening with some avocado /olives to get the natural fats in.

I.E. get my calories up to aid recovery but keep carbs down.

Once my anti-biotics are done I can then cut back to SS+ levels again and crack on!

Onwards!!!

Hey Ruthlet, glad to hear you are feeling better:)! It sucks being ill! How are you feeling now? I can not believe that today is 6 weeks that I have been on plan...halfway through my journey!!:D I lost 2lb this week. Not sure why my loss has been lower this week, but I am grateful for the 2lb loss this morning as the whole of last week, the scales showed me no loss at all and I was getting pretty down, but stuck with it and a 2lb loss this morning. I seem to not gain too much during TOTM but my gains are during ovulation:rolleyes:! I also survived the BBQ last week by staying on plan. Had my chicken and salad and coke zero.

This week (the dreaded week!) is the week where I have two social events in one week that I can not get out of. The first being on Saturday and the next one on Wednesday coming. On Saturday I will eat chicken and veg/salad at the restaurant. The only problem is that the menu says that the chicken is lemon & thyme grilled chicken but I figure that surely there can't be that much lemon in it to affect ketosis, especially as I'll only have two packs on Saturday so I'm hoping it will all equal itself out!

Hope you had a good WI at your consultant's! Onwards and downwards....

Back