Sammies mummy and weight watching diary

Pregnant with baby no1 and trying not to gain too much!

Thank you , i think it's just a precaution in case I was to have a huge baby but I guess the extra monitoring can only be a good thing .
How are you doing ?
X

Thank you , i think it's just a precaution in case I was to have a huge baby but I guess the extra monitoring can only be a good thing .
How are you doing ?
X

Not too bad thanks :)

Time seems to be flying...Im 22 weeks tomorrow! The further along im getting the less anxious I am as I know if baby were to come early...the further along i am the better the chance of survival etc

Happy 22 weeks :)
I know that feeling I can't wait to get into the second trimester !
X

Hi hun x

I'm under consultant-led care as well, purely because my BMI is 32 x

I have an appointment with mine on the 17th of this month, not really sure what its all about so intrigued to know. It's strange because it must be because of where I live? my friend has a higher BMI who just had only midwife-led care when she was pregnant...xx

Hi hun x

I have an appointment with mine on the 17th of this month, not really sure what its all about so intrigued to know. It's strange because it must be because of where I live? my friend has a higher BMI who just had only midwife-led care when she was pregnant...xx

My bmi is higher than 32 and I'm under midwife led care. I'm going to a consultant led ward for delivery but I chose that in case I need an epidural/section/forceps etc. They offered me the choice of the midwife led unit for delivery but I declined because there are no doctors there at all and would feel better at consultant led one in case things get complicated. Think it must just be different for each area xx

Yeh it's very peculiar lol! I think you've made the right decision there peaches , its always better to be on the safe side :) x

Food wise yesterday was not great ..
Breakfast - Special K
Lunch - 2 crackers and a pack of quavers
Dinner - a cup of soup with crackers
Snacks - a big cookie and a piece of ginger cake .... Whoops couldn't resist
Today will be better !!

Hey ! Of course not :)
I know its great to have lots of people to talk to :)
Xx

Hi hun x

Thats really odd because if its purely down to weight/BMI...then I should be under consultant led care too...but im not. Weird! Maybe if you guys dont want to be under consultant-led care - discuss with your midwives...asking why exactly you need to be under consultant-led care because of weight/height when other women arent...??

Thats really odd because if its purely down to weight/BMI...then I should be under consultant led care too...but im not. Weird! Maybe if you guys dont want to be under consultant-led care - discuss with your midwives...asking why exactly you need to be under consultant-led care because of weight/height when other women arent...??

I'm under consultant led but its because of my history. Midwife led is supposed to be more relaxed so I asked if I could just see midwives with both mine unless there was a problem, they were very respectful of my wishes and the midwives can be very protective. My consultant with my last tried to make me have an epidural because he was 'available', I was handling the labour really well on the gas and air and the midwife was enraged. She couldn't get him out of the room quick enough lol. She left me to it then and I laboured with my hubby more or less alone. Brilliant experience!!

I'm under consultant led but its because of my history. Midwife led is supposed to be more relaxed so I asked if I could just see midwives with both mine unless there was a problem, they were very respectful of my wishes and the midwives can be very protective. My consultant with my last tried to make me have an epidural because he was 'available', I was handling the labour really well on the gas and air and the midwife was enraged. She couldn't get him out of the room quick enough lol. She left me to it then and I laboured with my hubby more or less alone. Brilliant experience!!

Yeah - that is exactly why I want to be under midwife-led unit. So much more relaxed and you can have visitors etc. They were saying they are so relaxed on MLU hubby can just go order takeaway and pretty much do what they want. They have a kitchen for hubby to just go make tea/coffee themselves and all that. Its just so much more...relaxed and less 'everything is urgent and we're not going to give you time to actually try to give birth naturally'. Haha

Obviously consultants are consultants for a reason but the midwives are very protective...I dont want an epidural if I can avoid it. I only wanna go to consultant-led care if I really have to because of emergency or whatever :)

Yep!! Mine is purely down to my BMI...My pregnancy is "medium-risk" because its my first baby, and because of BMI...that's it though...if it was my 2nd and my BMI was under 30, then I'd be classed as low risk and probably just be midwife-led. To be honest, it's all a bit confusing. I'm having midwife appointments as normal, and like I said I have this appointment on the 17th of this month with a consultant but I don't really know what's going to happen... when I was at my 16 week midwife appointment last week, she said to me "So I know you've had your date through for your BMI clinic?"....So I don't know if that's what this appointment is but just with a consultant, or if I'm actually under consultant led-care....according to the hospital I am, but then midwife seems to think all this is is a "BMI clinic"...

It makes me laugh really, my BMI is 32...yes it's higher than it should be, but it's not like my BMI is 52...then I'd understand all the fuss! xx

Hmm...maybe I should be reading more about this...I didn't realise there was a real difference in care? :\ I don't really want to see a consultant...if it's just because of my BMI then what can they do? They can't ask me to go on a diet and I will tell the consultant I've been managing my weight pretty well so far anyway, so I'm hoping that's it. There are no other problems with my pregnancy? x

Have you to have to have that gestational diebetes test?? Would it be for that??

Yeah but midwife said that won't be til after my 25 week midwife appt? I'll only be 18 weeks or so on the 17th...hmm...I will be reall pee'd off if all of this effects what sort of birth I'd like...e.g. I would really like a water birth if there's a pool available. I don't want a fecking consultant! lol x

Ohh you see I know here if your under consultant there is no chance of a water birth. There isn't one available were I am anyway but I know my sister was in Dublin and she was told no water birth under consultant. Write down all your questions and wants and ask at your next appointment. You'll want time to get your head around it x

Ohh you see I know here if your under consultant there is no chance of a water birth. There isn't one available were I am anyway but I know my sister was in Dublin and she was told no water birth under consultant. Write down all your questions and wants and ask at your next appointment. You'll want time to get your head around it x

If that's the case here then, and the only reason I'm having consultant led-care due to BMI being 32 then I will see about changing that! To date, there are no issues with my pregnancy. My blood pressure is perfect, wee is always normal and spot on, I've only put on a lb in weight - I'm pretty happy with everything. Plus, in my hospital notes it says that I could have a water birth as long as BMI not over 40...so surely that would be ok still?

Hmmm... I think I'll take your advice hun and write down lots of questions. I really don't want the labour I want being effected all because of this xx

Back