Sarah's Exercise Diary

carrot_tit

Gold Member
Okay then, perhaps I should have called this Sarah's exercise hell instead of diary? But I figured i might actually stick to it if I do I diary, even if I'm the only person who reads it. So I've been lurking round the posts for a while and was trying to decide what to have a go at. I used to walk 5 miles a day but when i had to get a new job all that went out of the window so i need to get my fitness levels back up again. I'm working really long hours at a place which is an hour and a half drive away so i needed an exercise that i could fit into a smaller amount of time but which would be as beneficial as working out for quite a while.... I'm going to try kettle bells as soon as i can afford the set i want but for now i decided to have a go at Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. In fact i bought 4 of her DVDs in a box set for £14.99 on Amazon. I watched a YouTube clip of the workout and thought at least the moves look achievable. Here's how i got on:

Day 1 Level 1:

OMG I have seriously underestimated my ability to do anything other than walk forwards and backwards! Yes the moves looked achievable on YouTube as i sat sipping my coffee, but in reality they were a lot harder than i ever imagined possible. And i don't get me wrong, i knew they would be hard. I've read the thread on here, but i didn't fully understand how hard. The DVD arrived this morning. I didn't want to put off starting it so i went ahead without proper hand weights and with a throw doubled up instead of a mat. Probably not my best move but hey. Instead of weights i used 2 cartons of 1litre Soya Milk. Sounds daft but they worked out quite well. They just felt a little awkward towards the end of the workout.

What should have been a 20min workout became at least 30. Why? Because i had to keep pausing her. I had to pause her to catch my breath, i had to pause her to get up and down off the floor and i had to pause her to alter the straps on my sports bra because for some reason they kept slipping down? They've never done that before.

Frankly I knew i was in trouble when i was tired after the warm up. Not the best start in the world. It also appears i have no upper body strength as i was completely unable to do the push ups, even the modified version. In the end i had to do them just kneeling down, I'm pretty sure i saw them do it that way on Celebrity Fit Club years ago. Half way through i felt like Bambi on Ice. My legs were shaking and i was struggling to even get into the right position for the punches.

By the final cardio segment my partner commented that i was punching much harder and generally jumping higher, etc Had my cardio improved so quickly???? No i was running on pure anger by that point. I hated this DVD, i hated this stupid workout but more importantly i hated the fact i was finding it so hard! Anger and frustration fuelled my final few minutes. I can only imagine how the contestants on The Biggest Loser USA feel about Jillian when she is putting them through their paces (i always seem to miss that bit for some reason and tune in just as they are being weighed.) and i can only imagine how hard her workouts are for someone larger than me. I'm not even convinced that i did all the exercises right... I did pause and rewind a couple of times to see if i was doing it right but not 100% convinced. Plus it was difficult to see the tv during the floor segments.

Anyway day one is completed and I'm still alive. I've made a mental note to but a thicker mat as I'm working out on a hard wood floor and the doubled over throw isn't cutting it and also to get some actually hand weights. Hopefully come tomorrow i will still be able to walk and be able to force myself to do the exercise again.

Lets see how i feel in the morning!

No exercise completed today.... I've been ill with stomach cramps since i returned from a Christening but even so not sure i could have done another day! I can barely move my legs and i'm in agony trying to walk up and down stairs! Nightmare, Still i will go for day 2 tomorrow and hopefully by then everything will have loosened up, if not walking up the two flights of stairs at work carrying my very large briefcase on wheels will be interesting.

Not great to be honest. Illness pretty much knocked me out of the game for the past week but i am planning on getting back on the horse tonight. Might try a variety of different workouts and dvd's to make sure i don't get bored.....

Update to follow :)

Sorry to hear you've been so poorly,you will soon get back into it,good to do different exercise DVDs I think because as you say it stops the boredom plus you know your body won't get too use to the moves,it's good to 'wake the body' up that way! Look forward to your update :0)

hi sarah, great diary idea you got! i did the same too but mines a facebook page... not many people have "liked" it but its not for them, its for me.

keep up the good work!

gina_b said:
hi sarah, great diary idea you got! i did the same too but mines a facebook page... not many people have "liked" it but its not for them, its for me.

keep up the good work!

What's your page on fb? I'm happy to support you :0)

I have liked your page gina_b. I look forward to reading about your progress :)

Here's mine....

30 Day Shred
Day 2 Level 1

Mind you with a week long gap in between day 1 and day 2 i'm not sure if i should perhaps be considering this day 1 level 1 take 2 instead!

It is common for an exercise routine you leave you feeling depressed, frustrated and angry? Cos that is how i feel today after Day 2.... My left knee hurts and i have a slight pain in the top of my stomach, i'm not sure if that means it working or i've pulled something. I don't feel like i'm doing the exercises properly. I'm doing my best but still feel completely inadequate. Sigh. Plus i need to get a proper mat cos its killing me getting up and down.

I dunno.... I thought i would have a real sense of elation having completed one of her sessions but i just feel rubbish.... I'll do something different tomorrow and then Shred again on Monday.

Assuming of course i can even walk tomorrow!

i only feel like that when its exercise i dont enjoy, i had to find something i really liked before i could stick to it. i wont be happy in a zumba or aerobics class, i dont like them :(

I agree,I like to work hard and get something out of it,I like to feel like I've put the effort in and glad I did the workout.

Last edited:
Hmmm perhaps its just cos i don't feel like i'm doing it properly..... But on the plus side at least i am getting back into the swing of exercising and i can walk this morning! My back and sides feel slightly sore but nothing like the pain i was in after the first time i tried it.

I have ordered Angie Miller's Body Power: Kettlebell Bootcamp. Apparently it has a beginners section and i'm ordering my kettlebell tonight. Hoping to alternate between the Shred and Kettlebells.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Maybe once you have done the shred a few more times it will feel a lot better aswell,hope you enjoy the new workout you have ordered.Im doing ok but really need to up what I am doing,do 30 minutes of my taebo DVD twice a week,walk the dog. Have gone on my exercise bike a couple of times but stopped since doing the taebo but need to be doing both,tomorrow will be my fifth week of doing weigh watchers.Started easing the exercise in as didn't want to wear myself out but think I need to up it as i said before.Though the OH said he would fix my push bike this week,fingers crossed lol

Sounds like a good plan Bulldogdaisy. I must admit i sold my push bike cos i wasn't using it. It was a spur of the moment purchase because Zest Magazine said bike riding was so much fun but i soon realised that i don't enjoy it and also that i'm constantly terrifed of falling off or being hit by cars that passed with the barely any space inbetween us!

Okay so progress so far:

30 Day Shred
Day 3 Level One

Did this yesterday but didn't have time to update my diary. It went better than i expected. I didn't pause the dvd at all this time and managed to get up and down off the floor a lot faster than i was when i first started. I still can't do any push ups not even the modified version and i'm still struggling with some of the ab moves. I can't feel anything as i'm doing them so not sure if doing them incorrectly or just have too much belly fat to feel anything as yet! Plus i'm breathing out when she's telling me i should be breathing in and vise versa! That's when i'm breathing at all. I sometimes catch myself holding my breath! Clearly my body is trying to sabotage my workout by attempting to get me to pass out and thus get some rest! I have proper hand weights now (Davina set) i started with the middle weight but struggeld so moved onto the smallest instead but i still need a proper thick mat. At the moment i am doubling up a towel and putting a cushion under my bum and head because i'm lying on a wooden floor. Not great.

But on the plus side i am 2 days further in than i thought i would be!

I wouldnt worry too much about your breathing just make sure you are. I found that once you've mastered the correct way of doing an exercise you breathing will naturally take care of itself because you breathin on the easy bit and then exhail when your working the hardest, for example in a sit up you will inhail on the way down as you relax your muscles out of sheer releaf and then when you put in the big effort to get up there thats when you'll puff out. you wont even realised your doing it until one day your like oh look im breathing like im supposed to. the only time I would really focus on your breathing is in yoga or such like because they're long movements which gives you time to think about it where as when you doing a squat its the last thing you wanna think about when trying to not fall on your bum.

Malibu xx

sounds like good progress sarah :D how much were your davina hand weights? i have some of the metal screw weights, can make them between 6 - 10kg with that screw on bit. £30 quid though..... :/

I must admit breathing correctly does help,especially if you're doing sit ups,hope all is going well with your exercise routine :0)

sounds like good progress sarah :D how much were your davina hand weights? i have some of the metal screw weights, can make them between 6 - 10kg with that screw on bit. £30 quid though..... :/

They were 14.99 from Argos: Buy Davina Vinyl Dumbbell Set at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Weights and dumbbells. The colours are awful but they are nice and easy to hold. I'm still using the smallest set as i was quite surprised by how quickly the middle weight ones just got too heavy to hold!

So exercise for today was.....

Walking

Went on a 3.24mile walk with my partner, didn't rush or anything so it took us just over an hour but my garmin watch suggested i burn't off 281 calories on it. Which if correct is nice. Since i have gone over my syns for the week i might even stick in dvd and do some of that as well.

They were 14.99 from Argos: Buy Davina Vinyl Dumbbell Set at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Weights and dumbbells. The colours are awful but they are nice and easy to hold. I'm still using the smallest set as i was quite surprised by how quickly the middle weight ones just got too heavy to hold!

So exercise for today was.....

Walking

Went on a 3.24mile walk with my partner, didn't rush or anything so it took us just over an hour but my garmin watch suggested i burn't off 281 calories on it. Which if correct is nice. Since i have gone over my syns for the week i might even stick in dvd and do some of that as well.

good price for them though.... mine are plain metal with black plates. they look very bulky

Back