Scan Bran Recipe Thread

For breakfast at work today I had scan bran mushed up (softened with hot water then left to cool) with mixed summer berries, sliced banana & fat free natural yogurt, after taking the photo i stirred it all together - it was nice, not as much hard work as eating them as they come. :)

th_8e22b66d.jpg

For breakfast at work today I had scan bran mushed up (softened with hot water then left to cool) with mixed summer berries, sliced banana & fat free natural yogurt, after taking the photo i stirred it all together - it was nice, not as much hard work as eating them as they come. :)

th_8e22b66d.jpg
Might have to give that a go!
I've only used scan bran once and that was to make a cake, (which ended up in the bin) i was planning on having scan bran and laughing cow for breakfast but that will use both my HA and HB, so i may just have it with yogurt and fruit, cheers

I made a chocolate scan bran cake last night, but it wasn't really sweet enough, wasn't following a recipe so didnt put enough artificial sweetener in, but decided i was eating it anyway, I just topped it with Chocolate Philly, i could have eaten it all night, was yummy.

I used 3 scan bran mushed up with some hot water, 2 eggs, 1 tbsp cocoa powder (but might have needed another half a tablespoon to make it more chocolatey), 2 tbsp artificial sweetener (needed another one or two tablespoons), put in a dish and wacked it in the microwave for 4 minutes and then just spread the philly over the top. Bet it would be gorgeous with banana on top of that too. I got it as 8.5 syns for the whole cake but would be 9 with the extra cocoa. Might try it with options hot chocolate tonight.

I've just made a spiced tea loaf and it tastes better than some of the scan bean recipes I've tried!!

Soak 5 scan bran and 28g dried fruit in very strong mug of tea (2 tea bags). In separate dish mix 2 eggs, 5 tablespoons sweetener, 2 tablespoon mixed spice and half teaspoon baking powder ( I didn't have any so left it out). Once scan bran is soft mush it all up and add mixture. Transfer to microwaveable dish and cool on high for 6-7 minutes

Whole mix is 9 syns, or 4 with scan bran as Hexb.

Enjoy xxx

I've just made a spiced tea loaf and it tastes better than some of the scan bean recipes I've tried!!

Soak 5 scan bran and 28g dried fruit in very strong mug of tea (2 tea bags). In separate dish mix 2 eggs, 5 tablespoons sweetener, 2 tablespoon mixed spice and half teaspoon baking powder ( I didn't have any so left it out). Once scan bran is soft mush it all up and add mixture. Transfer to microwaveable dish and cool on high for 6-7 minutes

Whole mix is 9 syns, or 4 with scan bran as Hexb.

Enjoy xxx

That sounds delish, gonna have to try that.

Just posted this in a different thread too..but discovered spicy carrot cake.

Ingredients:
5 Scan Bran
150g grated carrot
5 tsp mixed spice
5 tsp sweetener
3 beaten eggs

mix all together and pop in the microwave for 12 mins! Then add some quark mixed with sweetener on the top for frosting!

Delicious! And 1 syn for a fifth of the cake (or used as a healthy extra)

Ingredients:
5 Scan Bran
150g grated carrot
5 tsp mixed spice
5 tsp sweetener
3 beaten eggs

mix all together and pop in the microwave for 12 mins! Then add some quark mixed with sweetener on the top for frosting!

Just thought i'd show you a picture of my carrot cake! ;)

Also, tried the spiced tea loaf yesterday. Agreed on how delicious it is!

Attachments

• IMG-20120319-00017.jpg
    IMG-20120319-00017.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 759
I love these!! So tasty! However, I dont use golden syrup and also I didn't add any water to mine, just crushed them with a rolling pin then put them in a blender. I have also seen a similar recipe using either ryvita, weetabix or shreddies.

made the truffles today and they are amazing. i made them bigger so made 6 instead of 18 and i had 2 as my treats. yum yum

Ingredients:
5 Scan Bran
150g grated carrot
5 tsp mixed spice
5 tsp sweetener
3 beaten eggs

going to make this this weekend sounds yummy

Finely perfected my carrot cake! third attempt but worth it........

Pete’s Scan Bran Carrot Cake-2

Syn free if used as a Heb

Ingredients

5 scan bran
300g/3 large size carrots
3 eggs
3 Tbsp sweetener
1tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp nutmeg
Pinch salt
3 tsp of ground ginger
Zest from 1 lemon

Method

Break the scan bran into a mixing bowl and add boiling water, a bit at a time to soften them, mash into a smooth mix.

Grate the peeled carrots, drain as much liquid out of them as possible, and then place in a towel and wring out any remaining liquid. Add to mixing bowl along with the ginger, sweetener, spices & lemon zest, mix well.

Separate the egg yolks and add to mix, beat the whites until stiff then fold into the mixture.

Preheat the oven to 200c and prepare a loaf tin, line with greaseproof paper cut to fit, reduce the heat to 180c

Place on the middle shelf for 40 mins, insert a metal skewer into the middle of the cake and when you pull it out and it comes out clean, the cake is done.

Remove from the tin and allow cooling on a wire rack.

modified 6-9-2011
just out this in the oven...

hmm, mine did not turn out that well, although I driied the carrots i dont think i grated them finely enough and it is stil qite we, pls has a very sickly taste. Might try the simpler micro verion tomorrow,

Second attempt much better yum

Are there any recipes for a good coffee cake with scan bran - I love coffee cake and it is one of the things that I am missing :(

I have found making the free tomato and basil soup and having scan bran to dip in it can be nice as it makes them soft so I find it easier to get them down

Can anyone recommend a really nice, but low syn, scan bran cake? I’d use the scan bran as my HexB and would like it sweet as I’m struggling a little at the moment with my sweet tooth….

Back