Scan Bran Recipe Thread

SCAN BRAN CHERRY BAKEWELL

5 scan bran
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 fat free cherry yogurt ( muller light etc )
4 tbsp sweetener
4 capfuls almond essence
2 eggs

Same way as other scan bran cakes ( ie soak, mash, mix, cook ) and bake for 20min @ 180C

5 1/2 syns the lot or 1/2 syn + 1 HeB

StarGir1 said:
Thank you ColJack that really does sound amazing and I'll definately make it some time this week x

I'll be making one tonight if I remember to buy scan bran at group.
I'll let you know how it tastes. ( recipe was from our consultant the other day. )

That would be good to know how you get on with it. I'm going to make it tomorrow so I'll let you know how I get on too

Tastes absolutely lush.
Didn't get it to "set" though but I always have that problem with any that include a yogurt.
Might have to do the "separate the eggs and whisk the whites" thing.
Either that or use only a little of the yogurt not the entire pot... maybe only a tablespoon or something.

Glad your's was tasty....mine is in the oven now and the smell is devine! I'll turn the oven up to 200 to see if that helps but I've found the same with yogurt in the past it can stop things from setting. I normally buy activia fat free so if this doesn't work I'll try it with a activia next time as that smaller...I'll let you know how the taste test goes :)

Well, this is the most tasty scan bran cake I've had yet :) It took 1hr 10min to cook so next time (and there will be a next time) I'm going to tweak this a little and have 3 caps of almond essence and maybe just 3/4 of a cherry muller light in it and reduce to half the next time if needed and cook it at 200 from the start. I might even try it without the baking powder to see how it tastes and if it is still ok I can reduce the syn value even more :)

Thanks again for this recipe x

Hi... I'm a newbie and was wondering if someone could tell me if I made these how many syns would be in each if I wasn't using the scan bran as a heb?

Ooh the cherry bakewell cake sounds lush - I'm gonna try it tomoz and will let you know how it goes :)

Hope you enjoy this...I would say if you're going to use cherry muller light you might not want to use the whole tub as it took ages to cook and you may want to use a little less almond but as this is free you can do it to taste :)

Hmmm, I wonder if my consultant would mind me going round his house to buy more scan bran? :D
I wonder if I can buy it wholesale anywhere?

I made it using two thirds of a ML yoghurt and 4 caps of almond stuff. I whisked the egg whites and folded them in and 20 minutes later, one scrummy, yummy cake! I didn't use baking powder though, so only 5 syns and ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL for me :-D

Thank you ColJack for sharing the recipe, I will be making this often...

Oh peeps - really, you must try this cake. It is heaven on a plate. The one I made is all gone and I've no more Scan Bran until Thursday.
I thoroughly, thoroughly recommend it :))

Last edited:
Pickled Tink I'm pleased to hear it worked well with those tweaks and cooked in a reasonable amount of time, what temp did you cook it at? I'm making another tomorrow and will be doing exactly the same as you but with 3 caps of almond stuff (isn't that the nicest smelling stuff, just like marzipan!) and I'll see how it goes but it's the best scan bran cake I have ever had

Seems I need to get a whisk then.
Also need to get a pack of cherry activia while they are £1 a pack!!

Might try in a muffin tray rather than just one big one, should cook better.

Hmmm, I wonder if my consultant would mind me going round his house to buy more scan bran? :D
I wonder if I can buy it wholesale anywhere?

I made it using two thirds of a ML yoghurt and 4 caps of almond stuff. I whisked the egg whites and folded them in and 20 minutes later, one scrummy, yummy cake! I didn't use baking powder though, so only 5 syns and ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL for me :-D

Thank you ColJack for sharing the recipe, I will be making this often...

Oh peeps - really, you must try this cake. It is heaven on a plate. The one I made is all gone and I've no more Scan Bran until Thursday.
I thoroughly, thoroughly recommend it :))

Scan bran can be bought in some Holland & Barratt shops and another health shop but cannot remember the name of the place - it is more expensive than buying at class though!

Pickled Tink I'm pleased to hear it worked well with those tweaks and cooked in a reasonable amount of time, what temp did you cook it at? I'm making another tomorrow and will be doing exactly the same as you but with 3 caps of almond stuff (isn't that the nicest smelling stuff, just like marzipan!) and I'll see how it goes but it's the best scan bran cake I have ever had

Hi StarGar1... My oven is fan assisted and I originally had it set at 200, but the top seemed to be getting crispy after about 15 minutes so I turned the oven down to 180. It only took another 5 minutes after that.
Just for the record, I baked it in a Victoria sandwich tin and if anyone has any good tips to stop these cakes sticking to the greaseproof paper I sure would appreciate it... :)

Scan bran can be bought in some Holland & Barratt shops and another health shop but cannot remember the name of the place - it is more expensive than buying at class though!

Thanks Alycyn for this. I did pop in to H&B but they didn't have any in stock. I read ColJack's comment about wholesale ordering and have bought 10 packs online (at £1.14 per pack...). That should last me for a week or so :)

Hi StarGar1... My oven is fan assisted and I originally had it set at 200, but the top seemed to be getting crispy after about 15 minutes so I turned the oven down to 180. It only took another 5 minutes after that.
Just for the record, I baked it in a Victoria sandwich tin and if anyone has any good tips to stop these cakes sticking to the greaseproof paper I sure would appreciate it... :)

Thanks Alycyn for this. I did pop in to H&B but they didn't have any in stock. I read ColJack's comment about wholesale ordering and have bought 10 packs online (at £1.14 per pack...). That should last me for a week or so :)

I make mine in a loaf tin and line it with a loaf tin liner as I got a pack of 25 for £1 in the poundshop, they also do liners for Vic Sponge tins, I find if you leave it to cook for a little while you can the peel this off and it doesn't stick. Also you could spray the dish with frylight before you put the mix in as this will stop it sticking.

Where did you find them online? That's a good price for them.

Also thanks for the tip on oven temp

I make mine in a loaf tin and line it with a loaf tin liner as I got a pack of 25 for £1 in the poundshop, they also do liners for Vic Sponge tins, I find if you leave it to cook for a little while you can the peel this off and it doesn't stick. Also you could spray the dish with frylight before you put the mix in as this will stop it sticking.

Where did you find them online? That's a good price for them.

Also thanks for the tip on oven temp

Thanks for the tip, I have to go to town tomoz so I will check out those liners. I did spray the paper, and I left it to cool for a while but it didn't seem to help (or goodness knows how it would have stuck if I'd attempted to take the paper off straight away). Perhaps it's just because I've never had an issue with baking sticking before, but that might have been the lashings of butter on the paper - yeughhhhh...

And the ScanBran - I'll say sorry in advance if I'm breaking the rules by adding links, cos although I registered in Dec last year, I've only just started to use the site regularly and there's heaps of stuff I don't know. I got them from: GG Scandinavian Bran Crispbread (1 x 100g)
If you don't mind waiting a bit for them, shipping is free although you can pay and get them sooner :)
Hope this helps (and once again, soz if I'm being naughty.. :$ )

Back