Scan Bran Recipe Thread

Thanks for the link, I also don't know if we're allowed to post links or not, but I'm in no rush as I have three and a half packs in I'll get some as they're a good price.

Good luck with finding the liners, I find leaving it about 15 min and it just peels off.

Made my second cherry bakewell one today, didn't use the baking powder, and used 2/3 of a cherry muller light, three capfulls of Almond essence and one egg (was a mistake as forgot it was meant to be two!) and this turned out really well and I'll make it this was in the future. Next time I'm going to try the tip or beating the egg whites first.

It still took ages to cook though as I had to give it 50 min at 200 but I'll be making this as my default scan bran recipe as it's that good

Don't know if this recipie is mentioned and the syns are not as low but I make a chocolate one with a sachet of options. It is yummy.

Also, not a scan bran cake but I am very much enjoying baked beans on scan bran, it is a lower syn alternative to beans on toast and if u leave it a little bit the sauce really softens the scan bran. Yummy as well

Don't know if this recipie is mentioned and the syns are not as low but I make a chocolate one with a sachet of options. It is yummy.

Hi livvib... Wanna pop your chocolate cake recipe on here..? I'd love to try it, get my Scan Bran tomorrow so I'll be raring to go! :coffee: x

Yes if course,

5 scan bran nudged with just enough hot water
1 egg
1 sachet of options, I like the fudge one
2 tsp of sweetner
Mix together and then I put in the microwave for 5 mins, I put it in a take away plastic box.

Very nice.

livvib said:
Yes if course,

1 egg
2 tsp of sweetner
Mix together and then I put in the microwave for 5 mins, I put it in a take away plastic box.

Very nice.

Will try this warm later with a banana custard Muller lite

Yes if course,

1 egg
2 tsp of sweetner

Very nice.

Thanks, I'm definitely going to give this a go tomorrow :)

I made the spicy tea bread earlier and wow, it is so nice! For once I used the microwave too, and the consistency is far better. It actually looks and feels like a real cake, rather than a stodgy omelette - which is amazing considering how wet the mix was. Made myself feel like Superwoman! :superwoman:

Based on this, I'm gonna bake the next batch of chocolate cakes in muffin cases in the mikey, and I'll let you know how they turn out. :bliss:

My fave way of eating scan bran recently is sprinkling it with sweetner, topping with chopped banana and a then a tiny sprinkling of cinnamon :)

I tried making pete's ferrero rocher last night and was pretty happy with the result. I just used regular chocolate spread instead of nutella and rolled them in Belgian choc options. (think I will skip this out next time as it dried it out a bit more than necessary)

They are only little but I think having 5 with a cuppa is a good use of syns!

Gonna try the curly wurly cake next topped with choc Philly I think.

EDIT: I have logged these on MFP as 20 cals as they are one syn each - does that sound about right!???

Last edited:
sparty said:
I tried making pete's ferrero rocher last night and was pretty happy with the result. I just used regular chocolate spread instead of nutella and rolled them in Belgian choc options. (think I will skip this out next time as it dried it out a bit more than necessary)

They are only little but I think having 5 with a cuppa is a good use of syns!

Gonna try the curly wurly cake next topped with choc Philly I think.

EDIT: I have logged these on MFP as 20 cals as they are one syn each - does that sound about right!???

Ooooo, id say thats a good use of syns :) nom nom. Im going to give curly wurly cake a go to this week! Id say thats about right for MFP, i dont use it but if it needs a calorie entry then id say youve done right with your calculations x

I think I have gone overboard today with the scan bran - i had 5 with my tomato soup at lunch (was a bit dry tbh but not unbearable....maybe I will top with philly next and see if i like that) and 5 of the ferrero things.

I think I might regret this later lol. but all in all i am quite positive about it - especially the fererro. its so easy to make it and i think if i had only had that and not the other scan bran as well i would really enjoy it as a post lunch treat. as it is i am going to save the rest of my batch for after dinners this week - i made 19 in all.....2 last night to taste and 5 today. So i reckon they can last me til the weekend (and i am going away next week so maybe i should take some with me for evening munchies to avoid dairy milk??).

once this batch is all gone i am going to try the curly wurly cake - i have even bought the curly wurly already so a good test of my will power not to eat it before!!

Taking some on holiday sounds a great idea!! Every little helps :)
Lol, hope you didnt regret all that scan bran to much :p
How did your curly cake go? I still havent done it!

i havent had time to do it yet - going to try it tonight though as i have a friend coming round. if i dont do something like this we will end up sending my bf to the shops for chocolate (which i am NOT willing to do) so going to give this a whirl. If she doesnt like it then she can go to the shops for choc but I know i like scan bran :)

silly questions now;
1. how big a tub do i need for it? Standard take away sized (as in from a chinese?)
2. Everyone says soak in water but not how much....'a little' is not really helpful as i dont want to wreck it. can anyone help?
3. how long do you need to soak it for?

I am going to blitz in the food processor then soak, then add the other bits and then microwave i think. I am also going to top with a bit of choc philly. I reckon even if I use a whole tub, if I cut it into 7/9 pieces then it works out about 5 syns per piece.

Has anyone tried it with choc philly and is it worth the syns?

Oh my. Ive just made the curly wurly cake........AMAZING!!! Its like real fecking cake!! Its brilliant! Totally reccommend!

I used a chinese container tub, it was just right, and the cake came out of it fine, just popped out :) I used splashes of boiling water until scan bran was soft, but didnt drown it. I also didnt want to destroy my food processor, lol, so skipped that stage, it really dosnt need it anyway because youre mushing it up with the water. Microwaved it for 6 minutes and it came out perfect. Woo!

Oh my. Ive just made the curly wurly cake........AMAZING!!! Its like real fecking cake!! Its brilliant! Totally reccommend!

I used a chinese container tub, it was just right, and the cake came out of it fine, just popped out :) I used splashes of boiling water until scan bran was soft, but didnt drown it. I also didnt want to destroy my food processor, lol, so skipped that stage, it really dosnt need it anyway because youre mushing it up with the water. Microwaved it for 6 minutes and it came out perfect. Woo!

My microwave has broken...do you think i could do this in the oven? Or would it probably not come out as good :(

I have no idea! :) all you can do is try :) xx

Probably not in the plastic Chinese takeaway tub... :)

I don't get the syns scoring system..

At 31 cals per "slice", wouldn't one scan bran be 1.5 syns if not used as a HeB?

Back