side effects & general hints from those that know!

Been on LL over a week now.. and had headache to end all headaches around day 3-6, dodgy tummy for a few days, very tired in the evening, very cold all the time, but now the energy boost has kicked in so that is amazing.. can think more clearly and have more energy and a spring in my step than I have for a long time...

Bad breath - due to ketosis, use gold spot or something that doesn't have citric acid in - oh and drink more water!

I have been using superdrug's own breath spray for the past two weeks (since giving up on carrying around mouthwash!) and when you mentioned the citric acid it clicked with me. The past two weeks I've been having a rumbly tummy and feeling hungry, and my losses haven't been as good as usual. Could this be because of the mothwash as I'm not using gold spot? :confused:

hi has anybody heard of the literlife effecting your thyroid.up to week 10 was doing fine but not loosing as much as i would have expected .i had no energy and my arms were like lead,my totm was every three weeks and heavy .i thought it was because i was only drinking about 3 litres a day .i had lost two and a half stone but suddenly i felt really lethargic when i spoke to my counseller she said it could be my job but i hadnt been working so much.Now i 've just found out i have an under active thyroid although it is in my family it does say low iodine in my diet could be a cause.really want to carry on but dont know what to do just started to take the tablets the doc gave me .has anybody else come across this please bettyboopchic

hi the doc didnt say anything but found looking into it on the nett a lack of iodine in the diet can trigger it off.did come off literlife for a few days but trying to get back on it .A lot of symptons of literlife ie feeling the cold ,constipation ,tiredness heavy periods can also be thyriod related .i have a lump in my throat and although it runs in my family especially in women a change in diet can do it .I couldn't work out why my mate had all the energy on this diet and i couldnt stop sleeping.i was only losing weight 1 week out of 3 so i was getting fed up but if i hadnt gone on literlife and lost the 2 and a half stone and the under active thyroid kicked in how much weight would i have put on .by bettyboopchic

Last edited:
i found since starting LL 5wks ago i have very itchy skin and once i start i cant stop! no amount of moisturizer has helped tho it has calmed down now x

bettyboopchic

hi - I have had an underactive thyroid for over 3 years (at least) and have done LL before (this is my 2nd attempt!) I am on medication and my new counsellor has said that there are a number of people who go to her meetings who have the same condition. I'd like to meet with others who are affected by this as all i know is that, the 1st time i did LL 2 years ago, I lost 3 stone in no time, but i have gradually put on 4 stone in the last 2 years!! I am assuming that the underactive thyroid is not helping - I have been told by GPs that it doesn't help in losing weight if you suffer from this condition, but i think it's essential to keep on top of weight control as it is so closely linked to metabolism. the other factor is exercise - i am trying to work it all out - I'm only on week 1 of my 2nd go at LL, but as i go through the next few weeks I'd like to keep up with anyone else who is finding the same difficulties with an Underactive Thyroid and weight loss!

Thanks

GG x

UNDERACTIVE THYROID

Hi I also have an underactive thyroid and am on medication. My GP says it's fine to do LL as the medication replaces what the thyroid should be doing. My LLC knows and doesn't consider it a problem.
I have lost 7st.3lbs in 5 months and feel fantastic !!:):)

One tip is... don't over do this. I was on LL for 9 months and developed severe lethargy and found myself slightly aenimic, as did my boyfriend after doing LL for a long time.
No matter what they tell you - these foodpacks *aren't* completely nutritionally sound, you do miss on a few vitamins and such.

If you have a long way to go, I suggest taking a break after about 5-6 months, do RTM properly, try to work on your relationship with food (most importantly work on self-perception and image issues too! Being curvy really is not the end of the world - it's actually healthier!) for a couple of months after RTM. Then depending on how well you've done, and how much you still want to lose you can do a Refreshers.

:)

Other things I've noticed while being on LL long-term is ... you feel the cold ALOT more. And your stomach never stops rumbling! ... Not out of hunger, but it just gurgles all the time. :rolleyes:

Dry Skin when you are well into it about 14 weeks, some report not getting it but a few found it is a side effect.

One tip is... don't over do this. I was on LL for 9 months and developed severe lethargy and found myself slightly aenimic, as did my boyfriend after doing LL for a long time.
No matter what they tell you - these foodpacks *aren't* completely nutritionally sound, you do miss on a few vitamins and such.

If you have a long way to go, I suggest taking a break after about 5-6 months, do RTM properly, try to work on your relationship with food (most importantly work on self-perception and image issues too! Being curvy really is not the end of the world - it's actually healthier!) for a couple of months after RTM. Then depending on how well you've done, and how much you still want to lose you can do a Refreshers.

:)

Other things I've noticed while being on LL long-term is ... you feel the cold ALOT more. And your stomach never stops rumbling! ... Not out of hunger, but it just gurgles all the time. :rolleyes:

Everyone is different - I abstqained for nearly 10 months and had more energy in the 10th month then I did in the 5th for example. Never felt better!

folk just nbeed to guage their own body and health I think - there is no set number as we will all react so differently.

personally, I woulod never reccomend doing it so far, and then finishing off on my own. BUt thats me. :)

I guess everyone has their own experiences. :) Well done for sticking to it for 10 months! That's amazing!

I would have kept going as well, but my boyfriend started RTM about a month before I decided to come off and I just couldn't cope anymore either.. too much temptation and good smells from his dinners... So .. restarting now is exceedingly difficult. .. maybe I shouldn't have ever stopped eh.

10 months for me too

I started LL exactly this week a year ago. I reached my goal in December. I have just felt better and better all the way through. I could have started RTM about 10 days before Christmas but decided to wait until New Year because I didn't want to start introdcing food with all that temptation around. I am human after all.
I felt I had sufficient nutrition the whole time on LL. i haven't felt this good since I was in my late 20s. Feel as though my (lighter) life has started all over again.
I am taking a multi-vitamin now though.
Different for everyone I suppose.

I guess everyone has their own experiences. :) Well done for sticking to it for 10 months! That's amazing!

I would have kept going as well, but my boyfriend started RTM about a month before I decided to come off and I just couldn't cope anymore either.. too much temptation and good smells from his dinners... So .. restarting now is exceedingly difficult. .. maybe I shouldn't have ever stopped eh.

Thats just it Min - it is so diferent for everyone. You do have to listen to your body.:)

Good luck with your restart - just realise it won;t take long for you to get those pounds off, and then you are done!

Good luck - you can do this!! :)

xx

i have lost over nine st now and the side effects i have are being bloody cold, thin hair and yes i have loose skin but i had 2 c sections 11lb 2 baby and then a 12lb 8 and a half oz baby so i did expect to have some but its no as bad as i had thought it would be docs referred me to get a tt but up here you have to see a clinical pyshc first which i understand has a very long waiting list

Wow Rachee, they were WHOPPERS!! Get on that list, the sooner you start the sooner it's done!

Had to go to bed early last night with wind cramps but trusty HWB soon helped there. Mind you, it wasn't safe to go upstairs for a couple of hours! :eek::eek:

And spots. Not lots of little ones but a few biggies, thankfully in not too obvious places. I think it's down to all the water flushing the system. :rolleyes:

Hi everyone-My first post! I love the forum, it's been a real help & inspiration ! Iam coming to the end of wk 5 & have had a few minor side effects, a more major one seems to be that my TOTM has disappeared! Has anyone else experienced this ?

Back