"Sizes" and how they vary!!

Cavycrazy

Silver Member
Did anyone see "you are what you eat" last night ??

I did and there were 2 ladies which Gillian helped sort out their eating habits. By the end of the prog both had lost a few stones and looked lovely. :)

What got me though was they were both wearing ...size 14! but weighted a few stones heavier than me!! So why am I still in a size 14 ??? :eek:

Perplexed Deb x

To be honest I have to avoid watching that show, I cannot stand Gillian. She talks such rubbish, I would expect that someone changing peoples eating habits on a tv programme would have a degree or something! And she seems to have an obsession with mung beans, and colonic irrigations - which are not recommended by doctors as they remove the good bacteria as well as the bad... As it is our colons were never designed to have water 'put up them' for lack of a better phrase.

Anyway I'll move on from the rant - sorry! :eek:

I find I'm different sizes in different shops. For example I have a size 16 pair of jeans (loose), a size 18 paid of work trousers (loose) and had to get a size 20 shirt when I wanted one that actually did up. I will admit I am top heavy so I expect to be a size up... Although having said that I have some size 18 tops that are baggy, and size 16 tops that are 'fitted' - basically they fit well without being tight, but still show off my lumps and bumps so I stick to my baggy ones!

Every shop, fabric, and cut appears to come up in a different size. I know someone who wears size 10 but I would have thought they were size 14... I also know someone who's size 14 and I though was size 10-12 max! Although I would like to wear clothes that were all one size, for me I'm happier focusing on my weight rather then my clothes size.

yes that crossed my mind i am in size 12-14 ...depend where i buy .....i'm 11-13 and they were 13-4 ............oh well

I know - it's very frustrating. Weight to size ratio depends on factors such as distribution of fat and the amount of muscle a person has ...

I'm almost a stone lighter than my daughter but she's a size 16 and I'm an 18. But then she's young (19) and the weight is evenly distributed ... I'm very oddly proportioned with my top and bottom extremities being quite small and my stomach disproportionately large. If it wasn't for my tummy, I'd probably be a size 14.

I just hope it all evens out in the end!

I tried on 4 pairs of jeans in the same shop and one style even in a 16 fitted all wrong then the 18 in the other style wouldnt go past my knees , each shop and each outfit varies so much , oh well keep going and keep trying on lots of different clothes in various sizes !!!
xxx

I've watched the programme twice and found it absolutely abhorrent.

I cannot understand how the tv company gets away with paying someone who has obviously got some weight issues of her own, to spend 30-60 minutes humiliating and bulling overweight people.

She gives poor advice and I couldn't believe it when I saw her showing people how to do situps with straight legs:eek:

I'd like to get hold of that woman and give her a fry up to try and get some meat on her :D, before she spends some much needed time with the men in the white coats.

What gets to me is her obsession with shitake mushrooms, seaweed, bulgar wheat and the like.

Instead of showing people how they can 'eat healthy' by making small adjustments to their everyday diets, she goes all out to make radical changes and promotes these wierd things as if 'normal' (i.e not fat) people eat them all the time!

It's as if the overweight people featured are there to be mocked when their faces screw up on chewing a dried piece of seaweed (a healthy snack dontcha know) ... "Oh look at that fat person's reaction to eating healthy food!" PAHH

I can't stand the leather-faced, condascending troll. She looks like the crypt-keeper (on a bad day): if eating 'her way' makes you look like that, I'll pass thank you.

Ahhh - now that's unloaded, I can get on with my day :)

Oh come on Debbie - don't be shy, say what you think! LOL!
I could not agree more - that programme should be banned, the woman is a complete nutter who understands precisely zilch about how people feel and what makes them tick. If she was 'surprised' on me I would be very, very rude. In fact just looking at her makes me fancy a doughtnut!

Love Barb xxx

What gets to me is her obsession with shitake mushrooms, seaweed, bulgar wheat and the like.

Instead of showing people how they can 'eat healthy' by making small adjustments to their everyday diets, she goes all out to make radical changes and promotes these wierd things as if 'normal' (i.e not fat) people eat them all the time!

It's as if the overweight people featured are there to be mocked when their faces screw up on chewing a dried piece of seaweed (a healthy snack dontcha know) ... "Oh look at that fat person's reaction to eating healthy food!" PAHH

I can't stand the leather-faced, condascending troll. She looks like the crypt-keeper (on a bad day): if eating 'her way' makes you look like that, I'll pass thank you.

Ahhh - now that's unloaded, I can get on with my day :)

So you've no strong feeings about her then? :D :D :D :D

Have to say though I do agree with you, I watched last weeks and she was so rude to the people on it, I said to my DD imagine if I spoke like that to my clients, don't think I'd have any left somehow! She's not exactly what you'd call a people person! I think she's a bad advert for losing weight actually, cos she looks so shrunken & miserable - be honest would you want to lose weight and end up looking like that?

Regarding the clothes size issue - it really is a funny old thing and varies so much from person to person as well as shop to shop. I'm a walking triangle LOL and have big legs for my size which means the top half of me is quite small & I wear 8's & 10's, but my BMI is 25 so I'm only just in the "normal" weight range and my weight is mid-range for my size too.

Go figure - as they say!

In fairness, I believe she was very ill for years and that it was through diet she found good health again and this is why she is so passionate about her work.

All of her guests do look the better for a few weeks on her diet and exercise and of course a whole new make over on top.

While I do not agree with her manner the programme can be interesting at times.

Have to admit when she does out the tables of junk foods I have found myself drooling at some of the things on them:eek:

Husband always says if I were there I would have half of it ate as I was putting in the bin bags:rolleyes:

Shame on me.

Love Mini xxx

Back