Slimfast on a VLCD diet?

Giza

I'm once again very grateful in advance, that there are some really knowledgable people on the VLCD thread so I hope you can answer yet another question! While I'm happy with my VLCD diet (kee sachets and now similar FMR sachets/bars from the LowCarbMegaStore site (significantly cheaper than the kee diet site-and a source I learnt about here); occasionally while away from my mixer and the space to whizz up a quick one, I've been using SlimFast ready shakes. Knowing that these aren't suitable for a full on VLCD diet, would the occasional one do any harm? Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Its not a good idea. They're high in sugar, will knock you out of ketosis and they don't provide the same nutrients. You'd be better investing in a coffee frother which let's you mix shakes if you're at work etc or get some bars for when you're out and about

If I absolutely need to have a ready mix then I have an Atkins one as they are ketosis friendly. They are not a meal replacement tho so should only be used in an emergency really.

That's helpful to know BG...just put a store of bars in my glove box in my car and one in my handbag..you ever know when you get caught out and the only thing to eat when you go to a coffee shop or friends is carb loaded products.....there has to be an opening in the market lol....

If I absolutely need to have a ready mix then I have an Atkins one as they are ketosis friendly. They are not a meal replacement tho so should only be used in an emergency really.

Also good to know BG! I'm waiting for my first consignment of bars from the new site. Bit annoyed to think I've taken myself out of ketosis with the slimfast....and just when I was getting smug at not having 'cheated' since I started! Grrrr :mad:

I shouldn't worry Giza. You know now and will do the right thing from now on. Knowledge is power :). I just looked up the Slimfast shakes and although they're quite high in sugars they have about 25g of carb which is more than you want to maintain ketosis really. If you only had 1 a day tho you may not have been kicked out of ketosis (depending on the carb value of your other products), and even if you have it will take next to no time to get back in now that you've stopped them. The Cambridge Diet seems to be the only one that provides ready mixed MRP shakes, more's the pity as I'm sure there would be a big market for them.

Last edited:
the only thing to eat when you go to a coffee shop or friends is carb loaded products.....there has to be an opening in the market lol....

When we were in the US a few years ago after I had completed my last attempt at a VLCD Atkins was one of the big diets around then and some of the restaurants we went to showed carbs as well as calories in their meals. It really made me conscious about choosing the more healthy options. I wish more restaurants showed calories and carbs here as I know that I'd be far more likely to choose a 500 - 600 calorie lower carb meal than something over 1000. When calories and carbs aren't shown I just choose the thing I like the sound of the most!

I shouldn't worry Giza. You know now and will do the right thing from now on. Knowledge is power :). I just looked up the Slimfast shakes and although they're quite high in sugars they have about 25g of carb which although more than you want to maintain ketosis really. If you only had 1 a day you may not have been kicked out of ketosis (depending on the carb value of your other products), and even if you have it will take next to no time to get back in now that you've stopped them. The Cambridge Diet seems to be the only one that provides ready mixed MRP shakes, more's the pity as I'm sure there would be a big market for them.

Thanks, that is very reassuring! Lesson learnt and hopefully, the fat burning will kick in again soon!

Back