Slimjim's journey to sustainable weight loss

And so begins the weekend, which I have off, so I already know/knew it isn't/wasn't going to be angelic! See I whinge on Wednesday but for all my talk do nothing about it :D

Friday 23rd September

B: muesli with berries & yoghurt
Sn: apple & half a digestive
L: a small amount of homemade potato salad (work). I do quite a lot of the meal prep at work as o enjoy it but I can't prep/cook without tasting it! Homemade veg soup & low cal salad from boots
Sn: 1.5pt lager! Pub for Friday night drinks
D: 'pizza' on a warburtons squarish wrap with prosciutto, sundried tomatoes & low fat mozarella, M&S count on us muffin mousse thing with some strawberries
Sn: Czech beer, large glass vino, mini biccies & slimfast snackbar

All in all approx 2000, still within my limits including my trekking about today.

Saturday 24th September

B: apple, beanz & slice of ham on 1 toast
Sn: mini biccies & a couple of chunks of green & blacks
L: homemade veg soup & banana (purposely had low cal -200)
Sn: 1.5pt lager - WELL deserved! We were up early to watch rugby so had the whole afternoon stretching in front of us, instead of driving somewhere or just heading to the pub downstairs we went on a near 7 mile round walk to a beautiful neighbourhood village for a couple of drinks, so easily earnt!!!
D: chicken in creamy leek & bacon sauce, boulangere potatoes, carrots & cabbage, weight Watchers choccie sponge
Sn: Czech beer, medium glass vino, 6 chunks of green & blacks.....I know just THINK of the ZINC!!!

So another couple of thousand today, OUCH. I know not the end of the world but not exactly brilliant for being on a diet!

Tomorrow we are doing Go Ape which apparently burns approx 500cal in a 2hr session. We will probably go for lunch at the cafe & then a stroll around the area which will hopefully keep the gain at bay! As yet mfp is saying I'm under my calories over the week which is good. Was hoping monday could be super low but probs not, so fingers crossed for tues/wed as Thursday night I'm getting DRUNK :D

...6 chunks of green & blacks.....I know just THINK of the ZINC!!!

Tomorrow we are doing Go Ape which apparently burns approx 500cal in a 2hr session...

Oh, I really like that as a new motto:D

Had to google Go Ape - looks like a lot of fun, how was it? Good luck on keeping your calories down for the rest of this week!

Yep I think it's pretty catchy!

Go Ape was great fun, hard work though, my shoulders & abs are killing today! There was a hairy moment - a Tarzan swing....you have to just step off the platform & swing but it takes a second or two for the ropes/cables to become taut...so it's like a free fall! There is a mini element of fear before you step off! Obviously you're in a harness & all so safe as houses but logic doesn't always kick in when you step into thin air! Next time you're in the UK you should grab a friend & give it a go!

Sunday 25th September

B: weetabix with skimmed milk
11am-2.30pm Go Ape inc training & hanging about. According to many & various sources I burnt approx 500cals, all good as lunch was an overeat....
L: bacon & sausage baguette (2 sausages & 2 bacon!) I've worked it out as approx 740cal!!!! Eek, well deserved though!
Sn: would you believe I could still eat....satsuma, apple & WW mini roll
D: chorizo risotto made with soft cheese, czech beer, creamy yoghurt & berries
Sn: mint & choc Shapers bar

Hitting 2000 again.....! So that's 3 days this week....

As for today, did well until lunchtime, even managed a run! But after lunch had a binge on choccie & biccies so I've written it off.....crikey I'm rubbish! :(

Don't worry, these things happen. Yesterday I also had sausages and too much bread at home, as well as copious amounts of beer and pizza at the pub. If I count everything I reckon it was about 3200 cals... Not good at all.

For me, this diet shows how easy it is to put on weight (I was so hungry yesterday because I didn't get enough (any?!) fibre in my meals), and the fact that these treat days need to be one-offs - if we want to lose the weight and not put it back on we have to be saintly the rest of the week!! Trying to keep it low-cal today, you too eh :)

Yep, kept it low today & will aim for the same tomorrow.

Tuesday 27th September

B: apple, alpen light, yoghurt & berries
L: pasta with chicken & veg in tomato/soft cheese sauce
Sn: a few of the homemade wedges at work....I had to slap my own hand away!
D: Toulouse sausage soup (sainsbury micro soup), yoghurt
Sn: curly wurly

I also did some resistance work & pilates. Have been cycling & running recently but have completely let the toning side slip so I'm on a mission to do it 3 x week.

So I consumed 1210 calories today...good news! :)

Wow that is good, well done! Neither of us have got much left to lose! Good luck for Wednesday and for weigh-in too!

No loss this week, no surprise! Still no gain too, the extra exercising paid off!!

Wednesday's diary

B: banana, 2 weetabix & skimmed milk
L: jacket potato with flora light, tuna & mixed beans in yoghurt & salad
Sn: strawberries & 1 digestive (naughty but nice dunked in tea!)
D: chorizo & butterbean soup (another shop bought one, lazy me!), activia snackpot with a few grapes
Sn: WW 2 cookie pack

So approx 1260 calories today :)

I went for a 5km run this morning, although the sun was up & it was HOT....Indian summer here we come :)

I worked a late shift today & I have a new plan for them based on the last 2 days. I had a normal breakfast, then lunch as my main meal at home & then a light meal for dinner. It worked well for me today & yesterday, so it'll hopefully mean I have 2 or 3 1300cal days a week.....fingers & motivation crossed!

Got to be good for the most part tomorrow as I'm out in the evening & will inevitably be getting drunk on oodles of red wine! :D

No gain, that's good. If you know you're going to be drinking tomorrow (and inevitably eating food you can't really calorie count) then definitely keep it seriously low calorie during the day! Look what happened to me last Monday, 3200 calories because I ate too much bakery stuff during the day :( Your low calorie days are looking really good.

I'm really impressed by your 5km runs... There's no way I could do that at the moment. I do quite a few 10km cycle rides plus about 5km each way to work 2-3 times a week, but getting back on to the exercise bike this week has been tough and I'm not managing much at all on a low gear - need to make it a bit easier for myself!

I heard it was going to be hot in the UK this week and everyone was talking about an Indian summer. Enjoy!

Building up to the 5k has NOT been easy & it doesn't come naturally. I'm short & squat so not built for long distance (not sure if 5k counts as long distance but it does for me!) - as my Dad said to me once when I was jogging towards him 'you would've been a great prop forward'!!! He didn't mean it to be rude, I had an 80litre rucksack on at the time & was bent forward looking like I was heading into a ruck!! The aim of the couch to 5k is 30min for 5k but I'm taking 32 mins, so not there yet! Going out again tomorrow (taking it easy on my day off today) then was going to start bridge to 10k next week, but may put it off until I can get my speed up. My end goal is 10km in 60 mins. Hopefully I'll get there before the end of the year!!

Now cycling is a whole different ball game, I can do that, sort of! I did the London to Brighton (54 miles) a few years ago & it wasn't too bad, we took breaks & had lunch & for me cycling is more of a pleasure than a pain! I even enjoy my commute, which isn't any easier than it was 2 years ago.....what's that about?? It's my legs that get SO tired more than my stamina. The stamina thing I suppose is because of the recovery periods of flats/downhill. I just love being able to go that quick!!! I find the exercise bike tough though, I have one but rarely use it anymore only for warm up/cool down when I do my weights and like you that's a low gear!! Do you enjoy your commute & 10km cycle rides. A friend of mine taught English for a year in Japan & she said everyone cycles....are there big, deep gutters on the road?? I think I remember her telling me some horror stories! What about running, ever tried it? I do enjoy it I suppose! I suppose it's easy as in right on your doorstep, can do it anywhere & free.

Right to the business of yesterday..... Thursday :

I didn't drink to excess (well for me anyway!). Did still hit the 2000 mark with calories though, darned ice cream, oh & cookies & wine :)

B: banana, alpen light, snackpot & berries
Sn: pear
L: tuna & mixed bean salad....so far so good....
Sn: double scoop ice cream cone, didn't eat all the cone though!!
D: veg stir-fry with rice noodles (recovery!)
Out: 3 x glasses red wine
Home: 2 crumpets with jam .... still ok ish until I hit the cookie jar (low calorie of course until you have millions!)

Still aiming to keep it to one bad day & hold back on the others. I'm working this weekend so that means I won't go out of control....I may be not as good as gold today but I will be better than yesterday!

Oh wow, yes, I think I remember you starting the Couch to 5K. That wasn't that long ago because I know I didn't start on here until the end of May... So you've done really well (a) to have kept it up and (b) to be at 32 minutes. Yep, still impressed!

I have done running before. I do know how it gets you, you end up being addicted to it in some strange way! Part of the problem here is that it's pretty much impossible to do serious exercise in the summer unless you really are dedicated when it's already over 30 at 5am in the morning! No excuse now though as the weather is cooler... Maybe I should dig out my trainers again... I was only running for 9 minutes though (the length of my favourite song!)

Cycling I do enjoy though. As you say it's fun more than exercise. It does burn the calories because I've been tracking them. But although I get sweaty I don't come home wheezing as though I'm on my last legs! Yes, I love my commute and cycle rides. Especially using the Endomondo app which makes it even more fun! The exercise bike is tough, but now that the weather allows for exercise more I'm determined to do it. I can watch YouTube when I'm doing it!

Yeah, everyone cycles in Japan. I'm sure it's one of the reasons why people are slimmer - cycling to go to the shops etc has to be better for you. Those gutters your friend was talking about. There are two kinds. One is a storm drain so that water has somewhere to go during heavy rain or a typhoon. They have the potential to be lethal if you come round a corner too quickly or if you have to swerve suddenly, but at least you can see them. My bugbear at the moment is the other kind... The kind where the road sharply slopes down at the edge. Because it's random you don't necessarily notice it until you have to stop suddenly. You put your left foot down, but it doesn't touch the ground. Many a near serious cropper has happened because of those! There are two I'm wise to now, where there is no way I'm going to stop for anyone! This is a highly developed country where a small fortune is probably poured into the upkeep of everything. So why???!!!

You're right about the one bad day. That's what I want to keep it to too :) You're doing better though:D

30 degrees at 5am, no thanks!! I found it too hot on my run on Wednesday! Although it was probably in the late 20s - scorching! I went out this morning at 6:30am which was much better! Mind you glad I went out as hubby is kindly cooking me dinner which I have worked out at 1000 cals!!!!! He's attempting to use 400g of lamb for the 2 of us plus dried fruits....think I'll be having a quarter of the serving!!

Cycling sounds a little crazy out there, got to have your wits about you!

Endomondo app looks good but you need a 'jobbie' to put in it don't you? I dis have a heart rate monitor watch/belt. Not sure if I posted this but I still have the belt but I think I accidentally threw the watch in the bin (it was 6am ish) what an idiot!

So....Friday

B: beans on 1 toast with flora light
Sn: apple
L: pasta, mixed beans & peas in cup-a-soup with yoghurt on top & side salad
Sn: velvet crunch crisps
D: turkey & veg stirfry with a little sezchaun sauce & honey, chocolate frozen dessert (low fat/cal)
Sn: Czech beer, glass wine & WW brownie - approx 1620 for the day which is liveable.

I did some resistance work & pilates - got to tone the wobbles. I'm following a Zest plan 'drop a dress size in 2 weeks'. It's cardio 3 days & the 'moves' 3 days (I'm adding in 20 min pilates) & 1 rest day....took my measurements on Tuesday so we shall see!

Went to the pub & resisted the booze - much easier when I have the excuse of an early start in the morning!

Saturday

So as said, 5k run this morning plus A LOT of walking, including a fair bit of wheelchair pushing which was good considering my lamb-liscious dinner!

B: banana, sultana bran & skimmed milk
Sn: carrot & pear
L: M&S count on us beef sarnie (only 225 cal)
Sn: Czech beer, ice lolly & a few almonds
D: lamb tagine with apricots & sultanas, vegetable tagine & couscous
(managed to whittle it down from 1000 cal to 650, lamb tsk!)
Drinks: Czech beer, medium wine
Sn: brownie, 3 chunks of green & black & a shapers bar, hmmmmm

So 1730 in all - not too awful & I did burn lots so I'm happy for a Saturday :)

Only 5:15pm, just had a yoghurt & grapes & I'm HUNGRY.....over 2hrs till din dins how will I get there without gorging???? Who knows!

You threw your heart rate monitor away accidentally?! Oh what! But I did something like that once too so can't laugh too much! Yes, Endomondo needs to go on a compatible phone and you'd need something to put your phone in. Not sure if it would get the GPS signal in a standard belt or not. I use a clamp for my bike so that I can see it.

Hope you survived til dinner time yesterday. I find this is where fruit or vegetable smoothies really come into their own, they really fill me up on fairly few calories. Listen to me - she who isn't losing weight at the moment cos she fills up on healthy stuff and then eats junk for fun...:eek:Really need to get this one sorted!

I'll carry on then!!

.....which I really liked as a watch using for that purpose, ah well!! I have an iPhone so may get the endomondo gadget thing!

I did manage till tea time, had a camomile tea & distracted myself, wish I could say the same for today! The smoothies sound like they could be perfect! I will look back through your diary & get some inspiration!

Sunday

B: apple, shreddies & skimmed milk
L: 1.5 piece toast with flora light & beans, small side salad
Sn: WW fruities & layer yoghurt with grapes & 3 chunks of G&B
D: chicken & veg in a tomato & soft cheese sauce with gnocchi, Czech beer
Sn: mini cookies & another 6 chunks of G&B (think of the zinc!)

1620 for the day, so the way this week is going I reckon a half pound loss is still on......hopefully :)

I also did my resistance workout & pilates....I will be a size 10 in 2 weeks!!!

Monday

I had good intentions but looking in my baking cupboard whilst writing my shopping list scuppered me a little....so

B: banana, 1 toast with soft cheese & tomatoes, yoghurt
Sn: 2 satsumas
L: warburtons squarish wrap as pizza with tomatoes, pepper, onion & cheese with side salad
Sn: fibre plus bar, then couldn't resist 3 chunks G&B.....then found 4 chunks of white chocolate in the cupboard & stuffed them in my gob :( :)
D: cod & veg tagine with lots of rice with Czech beer
Sn: 2 Ginger crinkle

I did start my bridge to 10k today though (B210K) which was 40 min of running, so that's good. Well it didn't feel good towards the end but I know it is good :)

So calories for the day: 1550

I've also started tracking my salt better. I often use a little bouillon powder in my cooking & hadn't been putting it on mfp. It's not over but not brilliant. MFP puts the aim at 2500mg sodium per day, but I will to check minimum requirements to see how much I can try & reduce it by & still keep my body (& muscles) working properly.

Back