Slimjim's journey to sustainable weight loss

You're doing really well with your running! And sounds like a good idea to track your salt as well - good luck with that! Does MFP have a sodium value for every food, or are you going to have to look some up? Hope today is another low day for you!

It does pretty much have values for everything, I hope it's accurate as that's what I'm going on, I can't be bothered with checking every label etc... Still I bought some reduced salt bouillon powder so we shall see if that's any good....although the salt is the main flavour!

Thanks I have fingers & toes crossed!!

Tuesday

On lates the next 3 days so testing my big lunch small dinner theory

B: oats so simple with blueberries, made with water
Sn: 2 x teeny weeny apples!
L: jacket with a bacon/veg/tomato sauce topped with fromage frais & side salad
Sn: snackpot & raspberries
D: homemade butternut squash, chorizo & cannellini bean soup (love squash, but probs added too much as quite sweet)
Sn: 2x (pack) nature valley ginger nut bars

NO chocolate.....trying it out! FAILED just now! 3 chunks of G&B just couldn't resist!

Calories: 1320 (yay)
Sodium: 1511mg (yay again!)

1300 - 1500 calories with snacks! Impressive! I must try and get my calories down too and have a concerted effort over the next week or so... Are those fresh raspberries? I do miss my berries...

Not bad!! Lots of veg and less carbs....I'm not tracking 100% though, I just estimate my veg count eg 1 or 2 cups of mixed veg, so I could be underestimating. Still I lost 1.5 lb this week so it seems to be going well! Another potentially bad weekend coming up though, possibly 2 dinners so very boozy & foodie! :( :)

Unfortunately not fresh raspberries, frozen. The fresh ones are all gone, so they are coming in from far & wide & expensively, both on the pocket & the carbon! Saying that I've no idea where the frozen ones come from it could be the other side of the world!

Wow, 1.5 lbs off, that's fantastic, I'm really pleased for you - you definitely deserve it with your good meals and all your exercise! Yes, noticed the less carbs - when you think of your original title 'Diary of a carb addict'! Mmm, frozen berries are definitely expensive and probably even more so here. I do buy the blueberries from time to time, but rarely raspberries (and I can never get those fresh, strawberries are the only berry that comes fresh). In the odd times I see fresh blueberries they are crazily expensive for such a tiny tub. But berries are one of the best fruits for nutrition and also for weightloss... Enjoy!

Well done again :D

I love berries, all types!

So after my success this morning - Wednesday :

B: banana, fruity couscous with apple, berries & yoghurt
Sn: carrot
L: pasta with bacon & veg in creme fraiche sauce & a little cheese
Sn: yoghurt & grapes, satsumas & 2 tastes of bolognese I had cooking
D: vegetable stir fry with honey sauce & rice noodles
Sn: pack of nature valley maple syrup -& a biscuit ..... oops & another one!

Calories: 1570 (I blame the run!)

Did another run today 40 minutes in 4 blocks - ouch!

Right I've just menu planned for Saturday night & even trying to keep it low I'm at 1450 just for dinner!!! That doesn't include drinks!!! Eek! I think it's the whoopie pie that's the big problem at 550 cal! Still I want to try making them & it seems a perfect time. So gotta be simply ANGELIC to afford my what looks like 4000 day on Saturday......

Ooh, ouch! But as you say... if you don't try making that pie for a special dinner, then when will you? You've got to do it! Still, things like this make you wonder about what we used to eat eh... in some ways I don't think I've cut down so much (hence the fact it's taking so long) but I had a high day today and it was very easy to eat too many calories.

As far as Saturday is concerned, I'd say just enjoy it but be careful around those two dinners you have planned, and perhaps cut back quite a bit on breakfast and lunch if that's practical for what you've got planned... Good luck, but more importantly just enjoy! Also, you're doing more running at the moment and because it's difficult it will also be burning more calories:)

I think it's probably better for the weight to come off slowly as I think it teaches you more about healthy eating & adapting it to your lifestyle. Going full diet throttle always fails for me as I get too tempted. Slow & steady wins the race & we both want to beat it & keep it off for good (+/- a few lbs!). So I still believe the odd bad days are healthy & wholesome & what life is all about :)

Only 1 dinner now this week, but tomorrows after work drinks will include alcohol, so will keep the food good. I have planned my day for Saturday & def keeping it low cal!

Thursday

B: homemade muesli with apple a few raspberries & yoghurt
Sn: 2 Ginger crinkle biscuits...nearly fell here but held back with a cup of camomile tea & some hoovering!
L: 2 quorn sausage, potato wedges with vegetable salsa type sauce, ice lolly
Sn: yoghurt & grapes
D: butternut squash, chorizo & cannellini bean soup
Sn: WW choc brownie, 3 chunks G&B

What to have now, just a little taste of something??? I know! Bought some mini bars from WW yesterday, 1 = 40 cal - done!

So total for today = 1400

Did a little resistance work & pilates stretch but didn't want to work my legs too much as they're really tired on my cycle to work these days - too much running!

I think it's probably better for the weight to come off slowly as I think it teaches you more about healthy eating & adapting it to your lifestyle. Going full diet throttle always fails for me as I get too tempted. Slow & steady wins the race & we both want to beat it & keep it off for good (+/- a few lbs!). So I still believe the odd bad days are healthy & wholesome & what life is all about :)

I absolutely agree!!! Hope you enjoy your after-work drinks!

Dinner looked light, until I remembered that was the whole plan whilst you're on late shift. Glad it's going well :)

I don't really eat lunch and dinner, I tend to eat a little bit of my combined lunch and dinner every few hours! The lunches and dinners 1 and 2 are actually a regular occurrence, but usually they're controlled by what and how much I cook!

Well Friday shouldn't have happened & today was more than it should've been....I'm estimating 5000 over the 2 days if not more.....EEK! Still I had fun....will post more when I'm awake & sober :D

You had fun and that's the main thing! Now that you're sober again (hopefully!) it's time to get back onto everyday healthy eating! Me too, this week is going to be a healthy and virtuous week with the hopes of losing another 1lb next Monday!

Right so writing off Friday through to Sunday - lots of fun, lots of calories! Glad I'd managed to be fairly good for the rest of the week but don't think it's going to help me! Still in better news I get to avoid my weekly weigh in as I'm supporting a couple of my guys on holiday & have no scales!! I'm hoping to regain some control but it's difficult when you're at the mercy of cafes, restaurants & take sways for meals...we shall see. No 3G coverage & no wifi also......tricky, still where there's a will there's a way. Don't think I'll be updating daily though!

Monday

B: banana, sultana bran & skimmed milk
Sn: very crazy hungry, I blame the little fairy cake I had (150) followed by 2 toast with flora light
L: nice & low cal orzo pasta salad
Sn: apple & velvet crunch
D: jacket potato & beans
Sn: WW bar

Surprisingly (and I have tracked it all) it's only 1575 calories

Also did my last run of week 1 B210K, tough but I made it. Again hope I can get out for a couple of runs this week....we'll see!

Tuesday

B: oats so simple with a hint of sugar, 1 toast with jam (a little later)
I am hoping this will keep me well filled up & therefore I'll only need a light lunch..... :)

Ah, nice day on Monday, well done! Hope this week goes well for you, keeping my fingers crossed, look forward to your update when you're back! You're not alone in this, I'm trying use my willpower this week too :)

Good old willpower!!

I have found a wifi hotspot & have requested a 10 minute break here daily!!

So update.... Tuesday cont....

L: in a pub thought soup but it was mushroom....no thanks! So ended up going for a ham sandwich...I guestimated using mfp & reckon about 500 cal (tsk!)
Sn: satsuma, half pack WW fruities & only the teeniest sliver of chocolate cake
D: we were back late after a busy day & quick turn arounds aren't things we do....our guys need rest & time (as do we!). So we stopped off at the supermarket & I picked up a tasty chickpea, chorizo & tomato soup for 340 cal (sweet!)
Sn: 2 nature valley granola bars & Shapers bar

So about 1600 cals....managing so far...if I can maintain over these 2 weeks I'll be chuffed :)

It's Wednesday morn & I have just tried & failed my first run of week 2. I'm in the middle of the New Forest & it's trails galore....I'm not ready for that yet as I've just reminded myself!! Still managed about 40 mins with a few walking breaks in between....it's exercise all the same!

B: 2 nature valley bars, yoghurt & banana
Plan: lunch at zoo ??? Dinner - jacket & beans ???

OK, I'm half jealous. I know this is work for you and it's not really a break, but right now being in the New Forest sounds lovely. I need a holiday SO much! I do know though that for you it's at least as hard work as usual, if not more so.

Oh, well wifi will make you feel in touch but don't feel like you have to sign into this website, although personally I do find musing on here helps me stay focused even if I'm not on track. I won't worry about you though if you disappear for a few days, and I promise I'll try and stay good even without a kick!

40 minutes of running/walking sounds good. And you're getting so much exercise there that you shouldn't have too much difficulty at least maintaining given the healthy meals you're eating! Good luck for the rest of the week!:)

Its nice to be 'out of the house' or residential setting do to speak as there's none of the politics & it's more focused on the guys. Plus I went to the Isle of Wight Tuesday, the zoo yesterday & a heavy horse sanctuary this morning and we're about to go for a swim!!! So hard work yes (avg 4hrs intermittent sleep a night isn't great & care for the back non existent!) but I do get to go on great trips & see things for free! The New Forest is lovely & weather has been kind to us!

Still on track but yesterday went a bit pear shaped, VERY hungry....

B: banana & mullerlight, 1 nature valley bar, toast & spread
L: ham sandwich
Sn: 1 nature valley bar & apple
D: chicken with 1 rasher of bacon in BBQ sauce, jacket potato & veg....this was very filling & much better than a jacket with beans.....and not massively high in calories, or at least that's my guess! (approx. 700)
Sn: curly wurly & alpen light (hungry) THEN.....due to things going on & not being able to get to bed until 1:30am, I got hungrier still! ....velvet crunch & WW bar

So about 1850 which is not brilliant, just glad I brought my low cal snacks with me to save me from hitting the bread & getting too out of control

Thursday thus far

B: weetabix & skimmed milk, toast & spread
L: lentil soup (I thought it was going to be homemade but no such luck, definitely from a tin!) & a roll

I'm hoping (demanding) the evening off - others have had their breaks & all I've had is a run! So may cook for myself & veg in front of the tv, all things willing! :)

Back